+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tommy Lee goes to college

Tommy Lee goes to college

LINCOLN, Neb. - Multi-tattooed rocker Tommy Lee, a high school dropout, plunged into life as a University of Nebraska student Thursday — for reality TV.

advertisement
    Click Here!
    Lee mingled with fellow Cornhuskers for an NBC show in which he’ll take classes in chemistry, literature and the history of rock ’n’ roll.

Flanked by production crews and cameras, Lee bought books and Nebraska apparel at the University Bookstore while a mass of onlookers strained for a glimpse. “It’s like a big circus,” student Paul Penke said.

On Monday, the Motley Crue drummer will even try out for the Nebraska marching band.

NBC spokeswoman Susan Ross said the network hopes to get six episodes worth of footage for a series set to air next summer. Lee will have a tutor and live off-campus.

Lee told the Lincoln Journal Star he was looking forward to “a little music, some education, some partying — the whole college experience.” Asked why Lincoln was chosen, Lee responded: “Because it rules, man.”

Not everyone is so pleased.

“Why Tommy Lee?” said Bob Moyer, executive director of the Family Violence Council.

Lee spent about four months in jail after pleading no contest to kicking his then-wife, Pamela Anderson, in February 1998. And though school officials have said the show is a way for potential students to learn about the university, using Lee to get that message out is causing some trepidation even among administrators.

“I hope that turns out to be the right judgment,” Chancellor Harvey Perlman wrote in an e-mail to faculty Thursday. “I am tempted to say something like, ‘If it doesn’t work you can vote me off the island,’ but I’ve already used that line. All I can say is join me in keeping your fingers crossed.”
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6205694/

I was under the impression that they filmed this some time ago. I remember seeing footage of Tommy rocking out with the marching band drum corps, uniform and all

...oops - I just checked out the article and it was from last October, so the show should be on this summer. I'll probably watch just to see all of the profs trying to deal with having Tommy in their class. Will he be asked to guest lecture for a class in his History of Rock n' Roll class?

Asked why Lincoln was chosen, Lee responded: “Because it rules, man.”
    or more likely because Stanford laughed and hung up when someone from production called.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

This show is supposed to start Aug. 9. And yes, I'll be watching.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

I totally will be watching...I love Tommy!!

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    I might find this more interesting if I could believe that Tommy was really interested in attaining a higher education.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Reality Lite Weight LiteWeightLiz's Avatar
    I am totally NOT a Tommy Lee fan in any way, but I'm looking forward to watching this show! I think it will be highly entertaining!
    Quote: "Going cold turkey isn't as delicious as it sounds." -- Homer Simpson

I love Motley Crue and I think Tommy and Nikki Sixx are sexy....in some weird bad-ass-rock-star kinda way

I've been trying to watch Rock Star INXS and Dave has that same appeal. Some how sexy.....and a little scary and creepy all at the same time

Either way extremely looking forward to watch Tommy going back to school. It's a nice change from the teeny bopper shows (Simple Life, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    This show is supposed to start Aug. 9. And yes, I'll be watching.
    Did it start on the 9th? I can't believe I missed it!

ETA: I blush with you, Qboots. I'm a big Tommy Lee fan. He's hawt. Can I say that here? I've been reading that he and Pamela Anderson are getting back together.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

FORT Newbie
    yea this show look pretty damn funny!

It starts on the 16th on NBC I believe. An hour long I think too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast