+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 50 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Toddlers & Tiaras

Toddlers & Tiaras

On any given weekend, on stages across the country, little girls and boys parade around wearing makeup, false eyelashes, spray tans and fake hair to be judged on their beauty, personality and costumes. Toddlers and Tiaras follows families on their quest for sparkly crowns, big titles, and lots of cash.

The preparation is intense as it gets down to the final week before the pageant. From hair and nail appointments, to finishing touches on gowns and suits, to numerous coaching sessions or rehearsals, each child preps for their performance. But once at the pageant, it's all up to the judges and drama ensues when every parent wants to prove that their child is beautiful.
    I know I can't be the only person watching this show.

TLC, Tuesdays @ 10pm
    "That's Numberwang!"

Re: Toddlers & Tiaras

nope, you're not
    remember to play

I watch this as well! I dunno, I have always had some sort of interest in pageants even though Washington State, Seattle especially, is not the most pageant-friendly. There are some, but most parents would rather put their kids into sports.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

years ago, hbo did a documentary on a little girl involved in pageants. it was pretty disturbing. i wonder whatever happened to that little girl...

I know TLC had done a few pageant shows before, including one called "Painted Babies at 17" which followed two girls 12 years after they competed in the same pageant-one girl won, but she left pageants and at the time was in boarding school, and the other was still doing the pageants and had gotten into coaching the young girls. VH1 also did a couple of specials...
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI

This is totally my guilty pleasure! My daughters and I sit and watch this, pointing and staring like we're at the zoo or something. Needless to say, we've never met pageant people in person.

lol, they are kind of like zoo creatures.

i can't remember if this is the show i watched or not. whatever i watched featured no make up pageants as well as the "glam" (i think it was called) ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga;3416225;
    This is totally my guilty pleasure! My daughters and I sit and watch this, pointing and staring like we're at the zoo or something. Needless to say, we've never met pageant people in person.

There was one episode that was a mainly natural pageant, although a few girls did glitz, but most all of them have been either full glitz or partial. The main difference between the two:
    Glitz: Elaborate dresses with hundreds of dollars of crystals, in the "cupcake" style for the younger girls (the ruffly tutu style), hairpieces, tanning, hair removal, flippers (the mouthpieces that give the appearance of a full set of teeth), makeup, false eyelashes
    Natural: Simpler dresses, or dresses without all the crystals (typically ballgowns or princess dresses, no or very little makeup, all hairstyles are done with the hair on their head already.
    A semi-glitz would have some of the elaborate dresses, and maybe some makeup, but they wouldn't do hairpieces or what not.

Yeah I like this show too.

i watched an episode online tonight (chitlin) and it really compelled me to remember the hbo doc. and i finally did. it was called Living Dolls: The Making of a Child Beauty Queen, it was shot in 1999 and released in 2001. while tracking it down, i found out this poor little girl has had a really rough life. her mother died of a heart attack in 2003 so she went to alaska to live with her father and he died of cancer a few years later. she's in high school now and not in pageants because her guardian can't afford it. it made me sad. the video is on youtube if anyone wants to check out the documentary.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 50 1234567891011 ... LastLast