+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Toddlers & Tiaras

FORT Fogey

Re: Toddlers & Tiaras

The sickest thing is that most of the girls who win really are not that pretty. Most "pageant girls" are pretty in a very fake way, that usually doesn't age well. What will all these poor girls do when they find they aren't the prettiest anymore? Or when they're overlooked at all? Building up a young girl's confidence based solely on how much attention she can garner is sick, and really unhealthy.

I'm not justifying them, and find no consolation in the fact, but I agree these pageants have nothing to do with being pretty.

Honestly, what little girl isn't just adorable at this age? Pretty is... pretty normal. But these pageants don't seem to be looking for the prettiest child. They seem to be looking for the child who "shows" the best, based on a very specific style of dress, appearance, and movement. So the competition then becomes who can mold their child into the most perfect representation of that glitzy doll, or whatever the latest "total package" trend may be. To that end, I guess the girls can "try harder" through sequins, wigs, flippers, makeup, choreographers, etc... at least as much as their parents' budgets will allow/indulge.

I don't understand it, but I still find myself watching, like some natgeo special, trying to.
    remember to play

^And a lot of the mums who don't have the most quote-unquote "pretty" daughters will be the ones who will stop at nothing in order to get the win-be it flippers, wigs, dresses that cost more than most wedding gowns, you name it. The girl who won last week, she was awesome because she was very talented (singing, acting, dancing) and the mom didn't think a pageant coach was necessary. I'm a fan of the ones that have talent as a part of it, because it then becomes less about who has the more expensive dress, the better MUA, the better wig, and more about the girl who has the most depth to her. And to me, lipsynching is NOT really a talent-dancing, actual singing, an acting piece, unicycle, gymnastics-THOSE are talents. I mean, I suppose you could say that you can't expect a 4-year old to do opera, but at the same time, the way I see it is that if you're wearing all those things that equalize the pretty and not-so-pretty, then there should be a real talent portion as well. If you aren't going to do talent, or if you are going to have a lot of the lipsynching, then keep it to natural or semi-glitz (longer dresses with less rhinestones, light makeup, no flippers or wigs, no tanning, nail polish okay).
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

I watched this show again last night (why?) I was horrified at this episode I hope some of those mothers watch, really watch, and see that they are putting their OWN interests, needs, whatever you want to call it, ahead of their childrens. The constant tantrums should have been their first clue. Let the two year olds play with leggo, in the sand box, and quit trying to dress them up as dolls. I don't understand the obsession at all.

I was surprised at how clueless that one mother was......your husband just told all of the free world that if he'd known you were involved in pageants he never would have married you!!!!! Listen to him and cut this out.
    So live that anyone speaking ill of you is branded a liar

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by val123elephant;3803935;
    I was surprised at how clueless that one mother was......your husband just told all of the free world that if he'd known you were involved in pageants he never would have married you!!!!! Listen to him and cut this out.
    That was a funny revelation! Ha! She is over the top with the pageants.

How many people want to stand in line to buy an "Eden" doll?...Somebody?.....
    Anybody???

At the risk of sounding horribly mean, I don't find Eden to be a very attractive child at all.
    She does have a spark on stage, that seems absent in what we see of her every day life, as for actual beauty I don't see much.
    She's already been heavily featured in an earlier episode too.

I tohught it was quite amusing that the mother of the winner of the "Ambassador" prize was so thrilled.
    You won for selling ad space, not because your child was the prettiest or performed the best.
    Same with the woman last week whose child won a prize because the mother was the most successful at hawking raffle tickets.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

I was shocked by the mother of the child that was too much of a tomboy for her liking. I couldn't believe how she treated her....even as far as pushing her and saying "Get away from me." These kinds of moms should not be able to compete. I think its great IF your child loves it and wants to do it.

Fluff...I agree about Eden. There isn't anything special in her looks....its a lot of makeup and wardrobe.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama;3832329;
    How many people want to stand in line to buy an "Eden" doll?...Somebody?.....
    Anybody???
    Oh my...saw that on E.T. last night. Sheesh.

I watched ONE epi of T&T and thought that was just so disturbing, JMHO.

I mean to know so many people are struggling in this country right now and these people are spending 10's and 1000's of dollars on these pageants...from hair, make-up, fake teeth to jewelry and gowns...

The epi I saw (recently) was one where this mom had bought ALLLL these toys for this little girl and if she performed well, she got a toy after her performance. Bribery.

These kiddos are still babes. Leave them alone. Let them go play and BE A KID!

I did this ONCE. (1984) Years ago. I entered my 2yo son's photo in a Cheerios photography contest and we WON. I won a $500.00 savings bond for my son and a $300.00 pentax camera with all the bells and whistles. Wow, I thought, that was easy....mail in a pic and then WIN and receive all these lovely gifts.

Later that year I decided to enter Chris in the "TINY STARS" pageant. I think I paid maybe $35.00 entry fee. Bought him a cute outfit, I remember it was red Oshkosh overalls. I kept Chris, Chris. No make-up, no hair styling, no jewelry, no fake teeth, nothing like now. Chris WON the STATE title for his age group and he received a $1000.00 savings bond, a trophy, and complete airfare to Chicago to be in the NATIONAL pageant. I also received back all my State entry fees.
    We flew to Chicago to compete. They put us in a lovely hotel. Gave us meal vouchers. It really was allot of fun. I had family fly in from all over to see the pageant. Well, Chris WON the NATIONAL title. It was thrilling to say the least. Chris really did have allot of fun OR I would not have done this. He won $3000.00 in savings bonds and a trophy, a use of a photographer to take headshots of him so that I could get him modeling jobs.

BUT I NEVER DID ANOTHER THING ABOUT IT. Just was not really our thing. I did observe soooo many OVER THE TOP mom's at this National pageant, which freaked me out, yelling at their kids, etc. I was not signing up for that at all.

And, just recently my 27yo son, cashed in his $4,500.00 worth of savings bonds towards a new car.
    fireflyer likes this.
    KAREN

+ Reply to Thread