+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Toddlers & Tiaras

Re: Toddlers & Tiaras

Quote Originally Posted by kattatude;3644740;
    I am a great aunt of the little girl, Riley, who was on last night's show. She does the pageants because she wants to do them. She has made friends with other little girls, and she loves getting together with them at the pageants. Her mother has said that at any point Riley wants to quit doing the pageants, then it's over with. She rarely puts makeup on Riley, she doesn't wear fake hair, and they really don't spend much money on the dresses and costumes. The grandmother makes a lot of the costumes, or they are bought off ebay. Riley has never been upset because of not winning. It truly is that she likes her little friends that she gets to see at the pageants. My sister is Riley's grandmother (not the one who makes the clothes), and she doesn't like the whole pageant deal, nor do I. She has gone to watch Riley compete a few times because Riley wants her to come. We, (my sister, another sister and I, along with my two granddaughters) did go to the pageant that aired last night. I was TERRIFIED that my face would pop up in the audience...thank goodness, I didn't see that happen! The father of the one little girl that was featured last night was a hoot to watch. I think more people watched him than the little girls! Anyway, I do know that Riley is not forced to compete...she does it because she wants to. I was a little put out with the remarks of the lady talking about Riley needing the makeup, false hair and fancier clothes. The girls that wear all that makeup, fake teeth and false hair really do look like dolls. I think it's kind of creepy.
    Tell her mum that she is doing a great job, and that Riley will turn out well despite what that one judge said. She doesn't need the fake hair, the makeup-her personality doesn't need the coverup.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

I caught the last 20 minutes or so (why aren't these on the On Demand lineup, Comcast?) and Riley really stood out in a good way. I laughed when she said she had to run around being a bunny. She hadn't been stepfordized into a little plastic girl with ridiculously huge hair extensions doing stripper moves.

I understand having an outgoing kid who loves to be the center of attention. I just question taking that personality and channeling it into pageants. For all the talk about letting their personality come out on stage, we all saw the judge talk about a bubbly, sparkling girl like Riley needing to get with the program by plasticizing her hair, dropping some serious cash on clothes, etc. It's judging them on their looks and their conformity to a certain set of stylized gestures (which is way too close to what a stripper might do if you ask me) and not about their personality. Unless that means keeping from crying or being sullen on stage, but I think with kids you should aim higher.

A kid who likes to be admired should get guidance on what it means to be admired for your hard work, your accomplishments, your effort -- not rewarded for being pretty. There's no subtext of bolstering a kid's self-confidence for "prettiest eyes". It's about looks. Why push kids into being more and more shallow?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3602570;
    I found the mum of Eden (the girl who won the Ultimate title) to be the most adjusted of them all. Sure, she has spent over $60 grand (in her estimate) on her daughter in the pageants, and sure, Eden can be a brat, but then again what four-year old isn't? It also helped that she's been doing it since she was very young and that the mum has ways to help get her in line without disciplining.
    I thought the amount of money she spent on pageants when she really needs to decorate her house was on odd choice, but that's probably the interior designer in me talking.
    I also have to say, I was shocked that Eden pretty much cleaned-up in that pageant because I really think she's a rather unattractive child.
    No intention to offend, just calling it like I see it.

The mum of the 5 girls was definitely revolting in how she treated Ashlynn-and when she won Director's Choice, I felt like it was poetic justice. It was almost like she got the castoffs of the two girls, like she was the whipping boy. I have to give that dad kudos for taking the brattier kid out of the pageant, but I honestly think that the mom may have helped feed the monster.
    I found the mother to be very physically unattractive too, yet she made at least a couple of references to BreAnne being the prettiest and looking "like her mom". Um, no dear, even the daughter you choose to ignore and insult is far prettier than you are.

And for the mum of the two boys? No mum, in their right mind, should put their two-week old newborn on the pageant stage. Not even two months-wait until at least a year. Even then I am not crazy about babies on the stage-how can you tell the presence?
    I thought she was a nutter.
    She wanted to see if her two year old had the same "interest and stage presence" as his older brother. He might do, just as soon as he can hold up his own head. His mother didn't seem too bothered about supporting it either. I gasped a couple of times at the way it was lolling around.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Lurker!

Did anyone see tonight's episode?

I couldn't believe there was a 3-day-old baby on the stage. wth?

I was glad to see some parents not wanting their child to wear fake eyelashes, flippers and fake hair pieces. They still looked really dolled up and too grown-up.

I can't believe some of the moves these girls make, they're so sexual. Especially during the bathing suit part, which I've never seen on here until today.

One dad, who seemed like a nice guy, when his daughter asked him why the other little girl did better than her, he said, "Well, she just had a better day" "You need to try a little harder." Come on! I would probably say some stupid things on camera, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he told her later what he should have said, "Honey, you did wonderful, look at the three trophies you got! blah, blah, blah." Of course, it would be over my dead body before my kids participated in this crap.

I can't stop watching this....

When I heard the three-day old stat, I was absolutely horrified. I'm of the school of thought that the babies should not start until a year old, or 6 months at the absolute earliest. I thought, however, that the parents/kids this time were not AS horrifying as others. Alicia (the 7-year old) was so refreshing-she has the personality, and it was nice to see her with her passion-animals. She was definitely the rightful winner, and with no flipper to boot! I thought it was funny how her dad hated the "flappers" because the point is to see the kid's teeth growing in. Rylan (the blonde 4-year old) definitely will get better with experience-she has to realize that Emily has done many more pageants and thus, she has the stage experience. I loved how her mum decided to do a semi-glitz-natural makeup, no fake hair, no flipper, no false eyelashes. I wish there were more parents like that, honestly. About Emily-good girl, she deserved her thing, but at the same time the five hour spa treatment? Good grief, she's only 4. I can understand the mani-pedi, but the facial, scrub, and massage...

Oh, and the dads were hilarious.

I didn't like the swimwear portion as much-first up I don't like the over-embellished stuff. I also prefer the younger girls to wear a one-piece-Alicia's was a very fun yet tasteful piece. Ideally, the pageant would have beauty, an outfit of choice, and then talent.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI

Why haven't I been watching this show? I came here just to read what people were saying about it THEN I went to the web site for it and watched a few videos and NOW I have to find it and watch it. I just want to throw out something.( PLEASE don't think that because I'm saying this that it means that I like this stuff. I would NEVER have EVER put my daughter in one of these things and I REALLY HATE the sexy costumes and such). I think that all of the hair, makeup and costumes kinda levels the "playing field". Some of the girls aren't the cutest girls (without makeup) in the pageants. Throw on a wig, false teeth and an over the top dress and who can tell what they(really) look like? At the end it has to be based on how they perform or handle themselves. It's funny, I looked at the before and afters on the web page. Some of the girls that were better looking (BEFORE their makeover) weren't as cute (in the weird, freaky, pageant way) as the not so cute kids (AFTER their makeovers). Now look, I don't want any grief about them ALL being cute because they're kids. Some kids are just better looking than others. If these parents REALLY thought that their kids were as (physically) beautiful as they seem to think they are then they wouldn't feel the need to add as much as they do. It makes me wonder when and how all the "sexy toddler" thing got started, in these pageants. Was it something that just happened little by little? Maybe years ago one "pageant mom" added a little more lip gloss so another mom added a little more hair and it grew from there? One more thing, WHY, TELL ME, WHY are these mothers spending so much money on this stupid stuff when it's obvious that (most of them) don't spend a dime on themselves! Most of these moms look awful! Not to mention their horrible little homes (if they have one). They're crazy if they think that this is an investment for their future.

I remember back when that Jon-Benet Ramsey was murdered and her pageant videos were plastered non-stop on the nightly news. I just couldn't believe that as a four or five year old she was dressed up like that. The whole rest of that case was just as creepy.

Ever since then, I have wondered why parents put their kids into these pageants. What kinds of prizes do they get besides these crowns? Do they receive money or anything else? As I have only watched this show maybe all of three times, just by chance, I can't understand spending thousands of dollars on these dresses that I am betting are only wore once maybe twice. Add the traveling hundreds of miles in a minivan packed with all the glitter, makeup, wigs, etc., and the cost of these hotels, gas, food, entry fees, etc., and this stuff really adds up to a lot of money that these families could use is so many other ways.

On one show that I did watch, at the end, the judges decided which girls would receive puppies as a prize! What???? All I could think was 'great! hope the little pup doesn't pee or poop all over the little princess' stuff on the ride home!'

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mamai;3670583;
    Did anyone see tonight's episode?

I couldn't believe there was a 3-day-old baby on the stage. wth?

I was glad to see some parents not wanting their child to wear fake eyelashes, flippers and fake hair pieces. They still looked really dolled up and too grown-up.

I can't believe some of the moves these girls make, they're so sexual. Especially during the bathing suit part, which I've never seen on here until today.

One dad, who seemed like a nice guy, when his daughter asked him why the other little girl did better than her, he said, "Well, she just had a better day" "You need to try a little harder." Come on! I would probably say some stupid things on camera, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he told her later what he should have said, "Honey, you did wonderful, look at the three trophies you got! blah, blah, blah." Of course, it would be over my dead body before my kids participated in this crap.

I can't stop watching this....
    I don't watch this show regularly, but I caught this episode and I was shocked and just floored. I don't understand putting infants in a pageant at all. I mean they have no talents, so it can't even be faked as something other than a "cutest baby contest"

The whole pageant world, especially child pageant, is just a mystery to me. I suppose of your daughter really wanted to do it (like in Little Miss Sunshine) but why push your daughter, or son, in to anything that they don't want to do? (unless it's mandatory or generally believed to be necessary - I'm thinking school, regular check-ups...) It's just so bizarre.

And the make-up. I think these 3 year old's wear more make-up in one contest than i have ever worn, in my life, like combined. And I was in ballet!

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3675328;
    I remember back when that Jon-Benet Ramsey was murdered and her pageant videos were plastered non-stop on the nightly news. I just couldn't believe that as a four or five year old she was dressed up like that. The whole rest of that case was just as creepy.

Ever since then, I have wondered why parents put their kids into these pageants. What kinds of prizes do they get besides these crowns? Do they receive money or anything else? As I have only watched this show maybe all of three times, just by chance, I can't understand spending thousands of dollars on these dresses that I am betting are only wore once maybe twice. Add the traveling hundreds of miles in a minivan packed with all the glitter, makeup, wigs, etc., and the cost of these hotels, gas, food, entry fees, etc., and this stuff really adds up to a lot of money that these families could use is so many other ways.

On one show that I did watch, at the end, the judges decided which girls would receive puppies as a prize! What???? All I could think was 'great! hope the little pup doesn't pee or poop all over the little princess' stuff on the ride home!'

In response to the bolded, and to play devil's advocate, kind of...that can really be said about almost anything. I regularly express the same view about people who smoke and complain about not having any money. if they would just quit smoking they could have money and be putting it towards other things.

Maybe it's an addiction for the mom's.

I definitely don't agree with giving animals away, because that cute puppy may grow up to be not-as-cute and then the kid wouldn't want it. Not to mention the family may not want to have a pet, or they may already have enough or too many for their lifestyle and their house.

The thing I found interesting was that there were a few of the parents on the show whose daughters saw footage of a pageant and they said they wanted to do it. The parents also say that they won't force their kids to do the pageants if they don't want to, but after awhile there is so much financial investment that it probably becomes hard for the parents.

As for the money at pageants, from what I've seen most are not money pageants. Some offer money or savings bonds, others have trips, others have cars, and some big ones could have prize packages. For some, I think they look at it as a way to market their kiddos towards kiddie modeling/acting. But the money makes it more than just a hobby, unless they are maybe just doing the local natural or semi-glitz pageants. For us, we did cat shows as a hobby, but it's really a business. It's not a hobby that the whole family can get involved in-it's almost like a kid involved in a select sport.

+ Reply to Thread