+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Toddlers & Tiaras

Re: Toddlers & Tiaras

I have watched a few episodes of this show..but its not a must see for me...but I prefer the "natural" ones to the "glitz" ones....the natural ones the little girls look like little girls..some of the extremes these mothers go to in the "glitz" pagents is almost scarey...I wouldn't want my 7 yr old daughter looking like she is 25...its almost to the point of creepy IMO
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Ick. Isn't watching this like watching child abuse? Nothing I can do to stop it in this case, but eeek. Not sure I could watch.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

It's not only the parents who feed into this mess, it's the people who actually put this out there ... the ones promoting a "glitz" competition for babies that have to fake teeth and hair just to fit in. These children are not pretty, they are scary ... and you know the pervs out there are eating it all up.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

I almost feel sick when I do watch this show, so I don't do it often. sounds like this last one was pretty bad.

I was always a little shocked to see those glitz ones where the little girls look like dolls, painted and with fake hair and teeth. It shocks me. I think it's exploitation and I don't like it.

The only thing I can say is that none of the mothers I have heard speak on the rare visits I have made to this show sounded like they had much in the way of brains.

Believe me, it was-it was a national pageant but that is still no excuse for the parents to act brainless. The dad of one of the girls from last season (she was one of the 2 year olds in a Universal Royalty pageant) has done a blog on TLC and it's so refreshing how unlike he is from the rest of these crazy pageant mums.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Let me tell you, one of the moms tonight was so refreshing. Sure, her daughter had the makeup, but no flippers, no tanning, no fake hair, and she said she had never spent more than $100 on a pageant outfit, glitz included-she makes them herself or eBay's them. Granted, she didn't win a big title, but the daughter clearly is into the natural pageants and she has personality for miles. She made me laugh.

It was interesting seeing the commentary from one of the judges who said that Riley (the girl mentioned above) was an incomplete package-she needed new glitz clothes, new hair/makeup, more training, pretty much all she had was the personality! Granted the pageant was a glitz one but I say kudos to the mom, for not buying the $2000 dress and the flippers (like how the mum of the girl who won the Little Miss Supreme did, then again she was returning to pageants after two years). The third girl, the one with the pageant dad-I like how they had the relationship with the dressmaker, so the dress only cost them around $5-600, as opposed to quadruple that amount in stores. It was funny to see the pageant dads, especially the British one with the full-on mohawk. Love it!
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3642718;
    Let me tell you, one of the moms tonight was so refreshing. Sure, her daughter had the makeup, but no flippers, no tanning, no fake hair, and she said she had never spent more than $100 on a pageant outfit, glitz included-she makes them herself or eBay's them. Granted, she didn't win a big title, but the daughter clearly is into the natural pageants and she has personality for miles. She made me laugh.

It was interesting seeing the commentary from one of the judges who said that Riley (the girl mentioned above) was an incomplete package-she needed new glitz clothes, new hair/makeup, more training, pretty much all she had was the personality! Granted the pageant was a glitz one but I say kudos to the mom, for not buying the $2000 dress and the flippers (like how the mum of the girl who won the Little Miss Supreme did, then again she was returning to pageants after two years). The third girl, the one with the pageant dad-I like how they had the relationship with the dressmaker, so the dress only cost them around $5-600, as opposed to quadruple that amount in stores. It was funny to see the pageant dads, especially the British one with the full-on mohawk. Love it!
    I saw part of that last night and I agree with you in that I much preferred the more natural child. I admired her mother for not going full-on crazy with the glitz stuff too. Maybe she does have half a brain.

With no money involved in some of the pageants I just have to wonder why the parents take part. It doesn't seem to me that these kids are really going to learn anything of importance from these pageants. I'm not saying money is a good reason by the way; I think that is even more exploitative. But it just doesn't make sense to me why anybody would put their kids through this. They can argue that it makes the child more self-confident, but wouldn't taking part in a team sport or an individual endeavor such as music or dance lessons achieve that in a better way?

Sure, sports and dance can help, but pageants have the factor of it being all on you. Sure, it's competitive, but many of the girls make friends with each other. They also learn how to have presence in front of a crowd or in a group, and they learn how to take rejection gracefully. Sure, it can be bought in other areas, but a lot of girls would rather dress up and wear makeup than get all dirty. I know I was like that-I did not like getting dirty, I was as girly as they come.

For the non-money pageants, I think they go all out because their goal is to eventually get their kids into national pageants or at least pageants that pay money. They also, as Pageant Dad said, never know who is going to be there-there could be somebody who wants to use the kids for kiddie modeling or for commercials.

The one thing I know though is that high-glitz would NEVER take off in Seattle-Seattle, and Washington State in general, is one of the least pageant-friendly locales.

I am a great aunt of the little girl, Riley, who was on last night's show. She does the pageants because she wants to do them. She has made friends with other little girls, and she loves getting together with them at the pageants. Her mother has said that at any point Riley wants to quit doing the pageants, then it's over with. She rarely puts makeup on Riley, she doesn't wear fake hair, and they really don't spend much money on the dresses and costumes. The grandmother makes a lot of the costumes, or they are bought off ebay. Riley has never been upset because of not winning. It truly is that she likes her little friends that she gets to see at the pageants. My sister is Riley's grandmother (not the one who makes the clothes), and she doesn't like the whole pageant deal, nor do I. She has gone to watch Riley compete a few times because Riley wants her to come. We, (my sister, another sister and I, along with my two granddaughters) did go to the pageant that aired last night. I was TERRIFIED that my face would pop up in the audience...thank goodness, I didn't see that happen! The father of the one little girl that was featured last night was a hoot to watch. I think more people watched him than the little girls! Anyway, I do know that Riley is not forced to compete...she does it because she wants to. I was a little put out with the remarks of the lady talking about Riley needing the makeup, false hair and fancier clothes. The girls that wear all that makeup, fake teeth and false hair really do look like dolls. I think it's kind of creepy.

Hey kattatude! I watched a bit of the show last night and while I still am not thrilled at the whole pageant thing, I thought the parents last night came across way better than the ones from the week before. Unfortunately, that was the first time I had seen the show and I was horrified by the mom of twins pitting them against each other. I have to agree, the dad this week was a hoot. Yes, the "doll aspect" is a little creepy. I thought Riley and her mom came across as the best.

+ Reply to Thread