+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Toddlers & Tiaras

Re: Toddlers & Tiaras

truthfully it scares me I have to wonder how many of those men in the audience are actually there to watch these little girls for sexual reasons...there are just too many freaks out there in the world and why put your daughter on a stage dressed and made up like an 18 year old and his interest in not innocent
    nanaslbkp likes this.
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Kiz

Why didn't Dr. Phil say why these children's "beauty" pageants and hyper sexualization were bad, rather than just say being in the field that he knows how these things affect young girls as they mature? Way to skirt the issue. Not that either one of those delusional mothers would have listened, but maybe someone in the television audience might have given it a second thought.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

FORT Fogey

I just saw an episode where one of the judges referred to the beauty portion of the competition as rewarding the "facially gifted." And she said it with a straight face.

First, facially "gifted"--like being pretty is now a talent? Second, with the make-up, the tanning, the fake hair, and the flippers, I guess some of that facial beauty is a gift, as in it's a present Mommy buys for her precious darling, whether she wants it or not.

The same judge referred to those who are facially gifted as being the kind you want to take home and put up on the shelf. You mean like a doll? These are little girls--you know, actual human beings. They're not toys.

No one seems to get it when the girls show their annoyance in passive-aggressive ways either, like not doing their routines on stage or deliberately screwing up. One little girl who objected to having her hair teased had even taken to cutting it on her own. All her mother did was to point out that if she kept doing that she'd make it impossible to tease her hair up to pageant heights and that Mom would start taking allowance money away if she didn't stop it. No one seemed to get the point that this girl, who was nine or so, I would guess, was sending them a definite signal that she didn't want to have her hair teased--she'd already said she didn't want it teased repeatedly. Obviously she decided to take it into her own hands, literally, since no one was listening to her. She'd also said that she liked her hair shorter, because she could take care of it better herself when it was, and a nine year old wanting to be able to take greater charge of brushing and fixing her own hair seems like a perfectly natural development to me.

I watched the rerun last night with contestant Carly (Darly) and her mom, Melissa. The mom seemed even worse this time than when I saw it before. And I mean she was HORRID! It was almost facinating at first and then I had a reality check and remembered that this was her actual behavior to her real life child. So sad.
    Here's the thing. I agree with the concept of "beauty" being judged and measured especially in young children is appalling and one with which I'm not comfortable. I don't have a problem with pageants for older girls when they are truly able to decide to do them on their own.
    The thing that came to me about Melissa, Carly's mom is that she and many of these parents on the show would be horrid no matter what hobby or pursuit their child undertook. For example, if Carly played softball or was in gymnastics, I can see her being the same overly critical, living through her daughter, woman that she is shown to be. So, is it so offensive because she's a pageant mom (and we find the sexualization of young girls wrong and uncomfortable) or would we be bugged at her in another context - say as the mom of a child who played on a traveling soccer team?

FORT Fogey

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I'd be upset with any parent attempting to live through his/her child and thus pushing on that child an activity he/she wasn't interested in pursuing. I guess the pageant circuit stuff bothers me a little more than involvement in, say, music or sports, only because at least in those cases the child might pick up a skill or a hobby that he/she could continue to find valuable for the rest of his/her life, provided he/she found it interesting. Or went back to it later, when there was no longer the pressure on him/her to excel at it. I'm just not sure what children learn by being on the pageant circuit. I suppose they learn not to be afraid to perform in front of a crowd, but how often in life does one find a need to do "pretty feet" in front of a group of people? If it's about learning to be at ease on stage, they'd be better off in a children's theater or dance group (as long as Abby Lee Miller wasn't running it). Also, the pageant circuit stresses "facial talent" (ie. being pretty) where other activities might actually stress a talent or hard work or a combination of both. A child might, by practicing, become a better pianist or soccer player and feel some sense of satisfaction or accomplishment in doing so. He/she is not going to practice his/her way to pretty.

I'm also not thrilled about the whole "crowning" aspect of pageants either. The little pink princess business is hyped enough for girls as it is. But then, I've never like pink, and the one and only time I had to wear a tiara--because I was cast as a duchess in a play--I found it uncomfortable and hateful. I also managed to rip the whole back panel of my gown out on the arm of my throne at the first dress rehearsal, though I blame that on the multiple petticoats I was wearing under that thing. I just wasn't used to worrying about what was a foot or two behind me when running about. I guess I'm just not the princess type, which makes it harder for me to understand why anyone else would aspire to that, especially when I look at contemporary royalty and see how hard being a princess can be on a young woman.

This show is such a guilty pleasure thing for me. I get sucked in, and can't stop watching. Same thing with Dance Moms.
    nanaslbkp likes this.

Just visiting this planet nanaslbkp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom1 View Post
    This show is such a guilty pleasure thing for me. I get sucked in, and can't stop watching. Same thing with Dance Moms.
    I'm the same way. Watching it and shaking my head over some of those mothers. I don't watch Dance Moms...watched it a few times, but, sheesh, that woman is rough!
    The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man.

Quote Originally Posted by nanaslbkp View Post
    I'm the same way. Watching it and shaking my head over some of those mothers. I don't watch Dance Moms...watched it a few times, but, sheesh, that woman is rough!
    Me too! I missed Dance mom's this week. Will be watching tonight on dvr.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Hahaha...too funny. Tables are turned and the Moms are dressed up as their little girls.

"Toddler and Tiaras" Turnabout: Moms Don Daughters' Dresses | tooFab.com

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm ready for the next season.......and I don't know why.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread