+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Toddlers & Tiaras

Re: Toddlers & Tiaras

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel View Post
    I saw a clippit of this week's episode and I have to say that dressing your daughter as Julia Roberts is fine, but dressing as Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman PRE meeting Richard Gere is not acceptable!
    Did you see where the mother was actually defending this choice??? She made a claim the at least she wasn't putting her in sports where she could get hurt.

I just do not understand these parents who insist on dressing their pre-school daughters as tarts.
    ButterflyFaery and nanaslbkp like this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel View Post
    Almost all of the parents seem to have some type of "special drink" for their girls. Some of the clips have even shown blurred out red bull cans.

Last night, almost none of the featured girls seemed happy to be there. I watched because of the clip and It's just sad what I saw.
    How happy can any 3 year old be when they got to bed after 1:00A.M. & were woken up before 6:00A.M. & then be made up with a ton of make-up, have your hair teased and pinned with heavy fake hair pieces & then put into stiff itchy dresses? Then after all of that you have to go on stage in front of a room full of strangers & throw fake kisses....with a big bad wolf backstage?
    Crazy parents!
    sclilred1 and nanaslbkp like this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

In the episode with the little girl who wore the Dolly Partin outfit (including fake boobs and butt) that her mother wore in pageants as a child, did you notice the make-up artist showing his disapproval? It seemed as though there would be a voice of reason till I heard the judges saying how much they liked it!
    Parading around a 4 year old in fake boobs is so distasteful - it almost seemed worse than the Julie Roberts impression. I didn't see that whole epi so I don't know if that little girl had the boobs as well.
    sclilred1 and nanaslbkp like this.

Just visiting this planet nanaslbkp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    In the episode with the little girl who wore the Dolly Partin outfit (including fake boobs and butt) that her mother wore in pageants as a child, did you notice the make-up artist showing his disapproval? It seemed as though there would be a voice of reason till I heard the judges saying how much they liked it!
    Parading around a 4 year old in fake boobs is so distasteful - it almost seemed worse than the Julie Roberts impression. I didn't see that whole epi so I don't know if that little girl had the boobs as well.
    I agree, very bad taste! I have a beautiful daughter and granddaughter, but I would never have exposed them the way some of these moms have.
    The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man.

FORT Newbie

Is anyone watching this new episode? Sydney's mother is absolutely insane! She even acknowledges the fact that she is crazy. Wow.... The racist remarks during the pedicure were pretty bad.

This is a new episode right?

FORT Fogey

Yes, I think it was a new episode. I didn't see the whole thing, so I can't comment on the pedicure scene, but what did impress me was the very end, when, despite their nutty moms, the two girls who were expected to battle it out for grand supreme but each got grand in their age groups instead, which means they essentially tied, seemed so reasonable about it. Neither was particularly upset and were happy to pose with each other. One of them even pointed out that the little girl who had won was very pretty and one (maybe it was the same one--I don't remember) said that while she was disappointed at first, she reminded herself of all the times she had won and that this time, it was just someone else's turn.

Either those little girls have other people in their lives to balance their pageant-obsessed moms or their moms got really bad edits.

I had it on for the noise last night Inoticed that they seemed to focus on some of the older girls for a change...now that I can handle thee girls are old enough to know whether they want to particpate and are aware of the practice it takes
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery View Post
    I had it on for the noise last night Inoticed that they seemed to focus on some of the older girls for a change...now that I can handle thee girls are old enough to know whether they want to particpate and are aware of the practice it takes
    I agree completely. The older girls have more of an idea of what they are getting into and can speak up for themselves. Both older girls seemed very level headed and sweet when they were posing for pictures together. Its amazing after seeing how insane their moms were.

And the younger girl (I think her name was Paige) seemed like she had absolutely NO interest in being there. I felt so bad for her.

Frankly, I found that creepy baby doll bit very disturbing. What 11-yr-old carries around a baby doll? On one hand, overly made-up & precocious...then the odd attachment to the doll. Not quite right.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Even way too many of the older girls are doing it because it's all they know. Kids want their parents' love, period. If pageants make mom and dad happy, that's what they'll do rather than have that love withdrawn.
    This is true of a lot of things... when parents push.

No one can know at a very young age what a child's talents and gifts are. It's best to let them develop those things... try out many things (sports, the arts, volunteering, you name it) and then make their own choices about what talents they want to build on and what gifts they want to develop. If a kid starts out in pagaents early, and it sucks up all their time, how are they supposed to find out what their real talents are? It's a d*mn shame and so much is lost for that child and for their community because of their parent's selfishness.
    Their parents have taught them that their worth is based on how they look and whether their parents are pleased with them. That's it.

There is a new People magazine spread based on this show... has anyone read it? I didn't feel like coughing up the six bucks, I bought a beautiful mum for my dining table instead. lol
    jenniferboston1 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread