+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Toddlers & Tiaras

Re: Toddlers & Tiaras

I noticed the speech as well but I give them a break because I won't pick on a child. I see it more as a parent issue. Way too many sweets, red bull & binkys. Giver her a sugar cube so she goes and acts pretty on stage. I sometimes wonder if they are training a dog or a child. SMH!

I'll look for that Vogue article. Here it is...she is 10???

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...gue-model.html
    Last edited by PA Snow Bunny; 08-05-2011 at 01:02 PM.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

FORT Fogey

If I sounded as if I were picking on a child, that was not my intention. My concern was that some of these school age (or about to be school age) children don't seem to have the speaking skills of their peers, which could be problematic for them, and yet their parents seem to think it's more important to spend thousands of dollars dressing them for glitz pageants than in seeking help for them. One of my cousins had a son who was slow to speak. They happened to leave very near a state university, so they inquired about programs there. He worked with speech therapy students there, as part of a clinical, and in a very short time, his speech skills improved dramatically. By the time he started school, you'd never have known there was an issue at all, and I'm sure that helped his confidence enormously in participating in class, interacting with the other kids etc. I guess I'd rather see some of these little girls working on their speech rather than on having "pretty hands, pretty feet," because doing so would be so much more helpful for them in the long run.

Those pictures of the ten year old model are disturbing. The only one that didn't bother me was the last one, where her hair was down and styled in a fashion more suitable for a child her age. She was wearing couture in that one too, but it looked more like a couture style modified for a child, and she's holding a small toy/decorative rabbit in that one, something a child might do. If Vogue wanted to do an article on high fashion for kids and stuck to photos like that, I wouldn't have such a problem with it. I'd still think it was a little ridiculous that ten year olds worried about "high fashion" and that the magazine might want to worry about how many pedophiles were picking up that issue, but it wouldn't be so terribly overtly exploitive.

It's also very sad that such a high percentage of little girls aspire to be high fashion models as opposed to doctors, teachers etc. But then, I also recently read an article that indicated that 68% of incoming college freshmen think of themselves as "above average," so maybe unusually high self esteem does account for some of it (and perhaps it's time we reconsider the idea of how we try to instill self esteem and start connecting it more firmly to accomplishments--instead of everyone being good at everything, let's be honest and admit not everyone is equally good at everything, but most people have some area in which they do have some talent and from which they can take some satisfaction).

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I don't read Vogue, but a ten year old model? Seriously? Where are the child's parents?

This is kind of tangential, but has anyone else noticed that most of the girls featured on Toddlers and Tiaras have unconventional names or unconventional spellings of conventional names? I know people name kids things other than John and Mary, but you'd think once in a while there'd be a Beth or a Sarah or something more ordinary. It's like these toddlers are being given "celebrity" names at birth, hoping they'll make it on the pageant circuit.

In addition, has anyone else noticed how many of the contestants seem to have some difficulty speaking? I'm not talking about the really little ones, who are likely still learning to talk, but six and seven year olds who still sound, well, babyish. I know I was in elementary school a million years ago, but I distinctly remember everyone being tested for speech impediments in the first or second grade and help being available for anyone who lisped, stuttered etc. (and this was a public school in a small town). I didn't need the help myself, but I remember talking to the speech therapist, because everyone had to speak to her (and because my mother told me, many years later, that I confused the poor woman with my vocabulary--I read early and had much older siblings, so I guess I used words past my grade level). I don't know if these girls are just sounding that way because they're tired or they're encouraged to by their moms or they just don't know any better, but some of them are hard to understand.

Or maybe they've just never learned to speak properly, because the pageant circuit doesn't seem to require speaking. They don't even have to answer a single question, though I guess some of them do occasionally sing if there's a talent portion, which not all the pageants have.
    We don't know if they have or haven't had speech issues or help. Maybe this is a sensitive area for me, but my son has has years of speech therapy and still sounds younger than he is. School speech therapy will only tackle certain types of therapy (they won't do tongue thrust and other things) plus they do not deal with oral muscular issues. We've had to do private (which can be expensive) to get ready for school therapy and sometimes needed to do both, which was overwhelming. My son has been teased because of his young sounding voice and at times has been in near tears listening to himself and hating how high his voice sounds. Even with a great vocabulary (his reading scores are VERY high) people treat him younger and less intelligent than he is. I guess this IS a sore spot for me.

That article made me sick at my stomach. Where will this type of thing end? Do we not have bounderies anymore letting us know what is and isn't appropriate? All this goes along with the little pageant girls dressed suggestively on stage doing bumps and grinds and other sexual moves - coached by their parents.

I fell asleep last night sounds like it was a good thing I missed this episode
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    We don't know if they have or haven't had speech issues or help. Maybe this is a sensitive area for me, but my son has has years of speech therapy and still sounds younger than he is. School speech therapy will only tackle certain types of therapy (they won't do tongue thrust and other things) plus they do not deal with oral muscular issues. We've had to do private (which can be expensive) to get ready for school therapy and sometimes needed to do both, which was overwhelming. My son has been teased because of his young sounding voice and at times has been in near tears listening to himself and hating how high his voice sounds. Even with a great vocabulary (his reading scores are VERY high) people treat him younger and less intelligent than he is. I guess this IS a sore spot for me.

If I offended you, I'm sorry. Obviously, you've done the best job you can for your son, and perhaps some of these children are in the same situation as your son. You're right. I don't know if they are. But some of them might also be in need of help and aren't getting it, because they're too busy on the pageant circuit, as some of these mothers seem to have their daughters on a continual whirl of pageants that doesn't allow much time for anything else at all.

The fact that people do tease your son and that he is frustrated about it is exactly my concern about children not getting help with their speech. You're right that not all children can be helped, but some can be, and the fact that we've never heard any concern from anyone on the show about a child who is having trouble speaking, so long as she looks pretty on stage, aggravates me.

It's not you Tilden! Really. I see your point. I am pretty hard to offend when someone is simply raising a topic for discussion and not just pointing out one person to make fun of. Which you did not. :-)

Allyson (sp?) was cute....and her mother wasn't the typical pageant mom, except for saying "perfect" all the time! Baylen obviously DOESN'T want to perform in front of anyone. However, if my children, EVER, EVER, EVER talked to me, like those little girls talk to their mothers, my children would certainly know immediately that it's not appropriate or correct to do so. What are these girls going to be like when their teens???? Maybe Toddlers and Tiara's will do a follow up in 10 years. <3

Oh!!!! The chocolate chip bowling? Wow!!!!!! Can't even imagine.....

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post

The Beee-yonc-e girl was hmmmm....interesting. I'm not sure what to make of all that, anybody else get slightly racial undertones from the way the mom kept talking about "brown"?
    I thought she was so cute! And I think her mom was trying to avoid offending people by say "brown" and "peach". Those are the actual colors of the dolls so I thought it sounded better than her saying "black" and "white" dolls. JMO

+ Reply to Thread