+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Toddlers & Tiaras

Kiz

Re: Toddlers & Tiaras

The two yr olds and younger floor me the most. What's the point? The kids are absolutely miserable by afternoon having been woken up early, primped and prodded, and then missing their naps. That not even taking into account the sugar cubes and pixie sticks they've been downing as bribes and to keep their eyes opened, as well as the spray on tans (yikes to the nth degree) and fake nails.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
    I found myself wondering what the other contestants must have done this week that the girl who wouldn't come out of her prop box won against them.

I couldn't stand seeing that woman yank her 2-year-old around on stage. I have a son this exact age and I can't imagine him being able to perform tricks on demand like they expect them to, and what's the point if you have to physically force her movement? Gah, these shows are so frustrating.

And didn't that kid still win queen of her division? Good grief, she didn't even walk around on her own--and the way her mom was yanking on her arms couldn't possibly have been a good idea.

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    And didn't that kid still win queen of her division? Good grief, she didn't even walk around on her own--and the way her mom was yanking on her arms couldn't possibly have been a good idea.
    Last night, the same thing basically happened. A little girl who was highlighted won the title of queen of her division (2-3 yr olds, I think), yet she never did any of her poses, and it was obvious that she did not want to be on stage once she was in the spotlight. I'm wondering what the other little girls that didn't win anything do. She was very cute, so maybe that tilted the division win to her favor.

Then, another girl who was in an older age group (4-5?) and was hight lighted only won some photography award, and although she didn't have her routines down pat, she was very enthusiastic, and was very cute as well. I know they were in different age divisions, and there should be different expectations, but it makes me wonder what the girls who aren't highlighted are doing. One strike that may have been held against her (in addition to doing part of her routine with her back to the judges, which was pretty funny) was that she had a double spray tan. She looked a little streaky.

The little girl who won overall was an absolute doll. Her parents are Quakers, and they commented that she didn't do as much glitz as the other girls, but they were hopeful that her enthusiasm and stage presence would make up for that. However, I really didn't notice that she was notably any less made up than the other girls.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

FORT Fogey

I missed last night's episode, and I really meant to try and watch, primarily because I wanted to know what Quaker pageant parents were like, but I did see a repeat episode earlier in the day. One of the mothers in that episode said that she hoped pageant experience would allow her daughter to one day have the confidence to walk up to a stranger and tell him about Jesus Christ.

Okay, I was raised Lutheran, and as a group, Lutherans are a lot better at potlucks and choirs than at sidewalk evangelism, but wouldn't you think that if that's what she ultimately wanted for her daughter, she might be better off putting her in Sunday School than on the pageant circuit?
    nanarama likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm guessing it was about confidence and poise, as opposed to knowledge.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Regular

I agree Kiz- she (Emerald) was a doll, and you could tell this was "her" thing, not just her parents. As for the brat who won "Queen", I was disappointed with that decision as well, and saw nothing that would warrant any award, far from it. I also think that decision sends the wrong message to the Mother. You could tell this was the Mother's thing and the kid could care less, so why encourage that with an award? I just can't support something so one sided.

Love me some Mackenzie though, temper tantrums and all! Wish there was more episodes of her.
    its_glinda_now likes this.

I know this was a week ago, but I have to say that the funniest thing I've ever heard, and clearly shows what kids really think, was the one who won the money and said she wanted to spend the $100 on cheese dip. While I was perplexed as to why she won the award (I think she's the one who also didn't get out of her box and do the dance - or at least long), this was quite funny.

I found this last episode to be especially ugly. It just had a nasty little vibe or maybe that was Baylen? That child, I wanted to spank her. What is with these kids and the screaming and hitting?

My 8 year old son loves to watch this show with me, he giggles and makes comments about what a brat the kids are. He said that "She obviously doesn't want to do this, what is wrong with that mom?" See, even a little boy can tell that the kid is not interested. Shame on the mom for not seeing it too.

He found the spitting up baby to be the "star" of the show and kept looking for it and then laughing.

Emerald was a doll. I really liked the two judges who commented on how they either deduct points for children who clearly do not want to be there or add points for ones who love it. It was clear that Emerald was the one into this and that it wasn't her parents pushing her. She was the only one who wasn't throwing a fit.

I would have snatched my child up and stormed out of there at the very first scream while telling them that until they learned better manners that they would not be in another pageant.

The Beee-yonc-e girl was hmmmm....interesting. I'm not sure what to make of all that, anybody else get slightly racial undertones from the way the mom kept talking about "brown"?

jadewarlock That is Paisley, the one who wouldn't get out of the box. She is beautiful but has zero mobility in her face. She fascinates me because I stare at her and wonder if her face ever moves. Her mother started their own beauty pageant recently and she is the "star" of it who hands out the crowns *sighs*.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I didn't have a problem with Baylen. She clearly doesn't want to do these pagents any longer. She wants to play sports so put her in a soccer league. She enjoys hunting with her daddy...who would take their 4 year old hunting?

On a side note...did any of you see that article about Vogue using a 10 year old model? She was dressed in very adult clothes.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

FORT Fogey

I don't read Vogue, but a ten year old model? Seriously? Where are the child's parents?

This is kind of tangential, but has anyone else noticed that most of the girls featured on Toddlers and Tiaras have unconventional names or unconventional spellings of conventional names? I know people name kids things other than John and Mary, but you'd think once in a while there'd be a Beth or a Sarah or something more ordinary. It's like these toddlers are being given "celebrity" names at birth, hoping they'll make it on the pageant circuit.

In addition, has anyone else noticed how many of the contestants seem to have some difficulty speaking? I'm not talking about the really little ones, who are likely still learning to talk, but six and seven year olds who still sound, well, babyish. I know I was in elementary school a million years ago, but I distinctly remember everyone being tested for speech impediments in the first or second grade and help being available for anyone who lisped, stuttered etc. (and this was a public school in a small town). I didn't need the help myself, but I remember talking to the speech therapist, because everyone had to speak to her (and because my mother told me, many years later, that I confused the poor woman with my vocabulary--I read early and had much older siblings, so I guess I used words past my grade level). I don't know if these girls are just sounding that way because they're tired or they're encouraged to by their moms or they just don't know any better, but some of them are hard to understand.

Or maybe they've just never learned to speak properly, because the pageant circuit doesn't seem to require speaking. They don't even have to answer a single question, though I guess some of them do occasionally sing if there's a talent portion, which not all the pageants have.

+ Reply to Thread