+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Toddlers & Tiaras

Re: Toddlers & Tiaras

You have a point there-the money doesn't really start to get spent as much until they are at least in mid to late elementary school, and the teens can also help out with classes to help make some money. But I know-my cousin was elite level soccer and it was over $30,000 a year-and then she randomly quit during our senior year. Cheerleading can be close to that if they are a squad that is competing nationally-between the multiple uniforms (football, basketball, and sometimes two competition uniforms, one for nationals), all the clothes that go with it (sweats, warmups, tees, lots of Soffe shorts, shoes, etc), competing (entry fees, travel/lodging/food), and other expenses.

Since we are on the topic of cost, TLC has a blog from the dad of Ava, one of the girls who competed in the first episode, and he talks about how they find every way they can in order to cut the costs. He makes all her dresses himself, they are not doing a ton of pageants (one state and one national a year), and so forth. I can only imagine what some of the families are doing now that the economy has gone south.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Did you see that one episode where the mother was a single mother and she was told by her parents that they would help her have a place to live, or she could live with them and pay for pagents? She chose to live with her parents so that she could afford to put her daughter in pagents! I couldn't believe the priorities. I guess, on the other hand, maybe she believes that through pagents, her daughter will do better than her and have a better life. But, it does seem like a lot of these people could use the money they spend on pagents for other things.
    My son was recruited into an elite gymnastics team a few years back. He has always had natural coordination and skill. But, the amount of money that it cost was so outrageous, we simply could not afford to do it. There were mothers there that got second jobs just to pay for their children to be on the team. And, not only did it cost a fortune for them to be on the team, the uniforms were outrageous, and then we would have to pay entry fees into the competitions each month, and hotel accomodations, along with all of the travel expenses. It was mind-boggling!

Quote Originally Posted by Ownlyanangel20;3416793;
    These girls and young boys.....it just disturbs me that, in todays pageant world, we make a 5 year old girl look like she is 25. Why? Is she supposed to be 'sexy' and "mature"? She is a child for Christ's sake!! We are going to have an even more sexed-up generation of young girls if we don't stop this oversexualization of our youth. If a mommy wants to do a pageant, fine. But there is no way a baby or a toddler or a young child has the mental faculties to choose.

Or eliminate all the makeup and dresses and fake teeth and tanning and what not, and prevent the "winner" from winning cars and large amounts of money, maybe then we wont prostitute our daughters the way these so-called "mothers" are doing.

I agree 100%.
    Chittlins forever y'all!

The second season of this premieres on either the 22nd or the 29th at 10...and this season is apparently going to be crazier.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3416823;
    I'm not a fan of pageants at any age. I don't care how much organizers or participants want to focus on scholarships and self-esteem, or dubious talents portions, pageants are all about judging women by their attractiveness or we'd see a homely gal who's a really good juggler win once in a while.

we do see homely gals winning its called the Miss America Pageant

Quote Originally Posted by queenofitall;3575319 View Post
    we do see homely gals winning its called the Miss America Pageant
    Haven't watched the pageant in many, many years but that's pretty harsh.

I wouldn't say that the Miss America girls are homely, by any stretch of the imagination. Sure, they aren't the "Miss USA" types, but I like how there are more unconventional beauties in the MA system.

I saw this show last season and was horrified. I cannot believe these mothers ... they are crazy! Why on earth would you take a little girl who is so innocent and beautiful and put fake teeth, lashes and a ton of makeup on her, and then put her on a stage and teach her to do moves that are, to say the least, a tad provocative? I would never have done that to my little girl.

This is truly exploitation at its worst. I can't figure out what is wrong with TLC. They are turning into a channel I have moral issues watching, even the tamer shows like What Not to Wear. I would hate to give up some of my favorite "comfort" watching (Property Ladder, WNTW, and Say Yes to the Dress) because the channel has a penchant for child exploitation. I would so love to see shows like this one and J&K+8 off the air. Maybe then I'd have no qualms about watching the stuff I do like.

I'm not planning to watch any new seasons of this particular exploitation-fest.

Kiz

I'm watching the show for the first time tonight, and I'm so sad for a little girl whose mom obviously favors her "prettier, more outgoing" pageant winning twin sister.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

I'm also watching for the first (and probably last) time. That stupid mother with 5 kids is psychologically abusive to the twin she considers "the loser". And the delusional mother who wants to see if her newborn has stage presence I really find this totally revolting.

+ Reply to Thread