+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Toddlers & Tiaras

FORT Newbie

Re: Toddlers & Tiaras

I was in cheerleading since I was in 5th grade. I also competed in a few pageants during high school (all where for scholarships and/or community based). There is a HUGE difference between the two. With cheerleading, it is highly physical, especially a competitive squad that is mostly stunts and tumbling. Also, it is a team and if you don't win, you have your teammates to be there with you. And if you win, there is a amazing feeling of togetherness with your team. Basically, you have to be talented, not just beautiful. And yes, you can start cheerleading around 3 or 4 (for Pop Warner teams!)

With pageants, there is A LOT of fakeness behind the stage. Everyone secretively wants the other to fall down, their dress to rip, or their hair to turn out horrible. While I enjoyed my experience and did make some lifelong friends, it was a different feeling than cheerleading. Then again, I was 16-18 and chose to participate on my own (my mom actually laughed at me!).

These girls, especially the really young ones, are pretty disturbing. And their parents are even worse. Some are just plain crazy! But it does make for interesting TV!

It isn't often someone on tv makes me so angry that I want to reach through the screen and slap her. Last night, Alaska's mom earned that dubious distinction. Her behavior bordered on child abuse. It is sad to see a little girl act with so much more maturity than her parent. I hope that woman gets an attitude adjustment after seeing how she came off on tv.
    jenniferboston1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nanarama View Post
    It isn't often someone on tv makes me so angry that I want to reach through the screen and slap her. Last night, Alaska's mom earned that dubious distinction. Her behavior bordered on child abuse. It is sad to see a little girl act with so much more maturity than her parent. I hope that woman gets an attitude adjustment after seeing how she came off on tv.
    You took the words right out of my mouth! The teeth bleaching...on a 5 year old....SERIOUSLY! She claimed that she would never do anything that hurt her children yet BOTH children said the teeth whitening hurt their teeth. Alaska said she did NOT want her eye lashes dyed yet her mother & father insisted she did it. The out & out favortism both parents showeed their son over their daughter...mom "hopes' her daughter can be a graciuos loser...WTHey! I was so happy Alaska did better than her brother. The ending comment that Braxton didn't seem like he really wanted to do this anymore...DUH! 5 is usually the age most boys doscover sports.

Let me also clafify a point. I don't think there is anything wrong woth children learing to be competative & understand that sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. With that said...IMHO...4 year olds don't need to learn THAT early & certainly not 11 WEEK olds!

Cheerleading is absolutely fine because while it is a competative sport, it is also a TEAM sport. I know there are competations that might single out a few cheerleaders for special awards, the team wins & loses as a group.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Wow!!!! Just watched the Braxton and Alaska's episode I DVR'd. The mom borders on certifiable.....Why the heck is Braxton not into T-Ball, Basketball, Soccer??? Sports you can start at 2 1/2- 3years old!!!!!

Alaska seems more mature than her mother.
    Last edited by jenniferboston1; 06-30-2011 at 12:22 PM.

FORT Fanatic

These contests are held in hotel reserve rooms. It seems to me that any area pedophile can walk into one of these open door areas. I wonder if that isnt what really happen in the Ramsey case. Who would notice?

I honestly wonder if any of these mom see themselves on tv and vow to change their behavior. I would be mortified!

I honestly wonder if any of these mom see themselves on tv and vow to change their behavior. I would be mortified!
    Well Eden has been featured several times. A few weeks ago her Mom was talking about how she is waiting to receive a call from an agent any day now so she could quit her teaching job & in her words "Hello Hollywood". This woman actually set up a karoke machine & had her little darling perform on the street corner in complete pagent talent outfit singing a song MOM wrote. In her eyes IMHO I think she believes she is doing what is best for her 6 year old daughter's future career as a resident in Dr Drew's Celebrity Rehab.
    Hey if the little girl is talented & this is her dream(but at 6 do you really know what you want besides the next edition of Holiday Barbie) I think it is a good think the Mom is so supportive. Remember this is a little girl who cried when she realized she didn't win the princess bed & her Mom scolded her to not cry with the cameras filming.

Then we have McKenzie who at 5 was still using a binky & throwing attitude fits more befitting a spoiled 15 year old than a 5 year old. What does Mom do, gives her sugar & a binky and allows herself to be bullied by her 5 year old.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

FORT Fogey

I, too, was amazed at how mature and wise Alaska seemed to be when both her parents were not. We saw more of her mother, and I agree that the favoritism she was showing Braxton was ridiculous, but the father wasn't a lot better. I hated his remarks when they were filling out the forms for Alaska. When he said,"What does she want to do in the future, " and Alaska said, "A doctor. Or a lawyer," he replied, "Make some man miserable." Yeah, that's a nice attitude there, Dad. I realize he probably thought he was joking, but so did her mother when she said "Pain in the ass" for the words which best describe Alaska. You just don't say that in front of a child unless she/he is old enough to know you're joking because all of your behavior toward the child has always said otherwise. Unfortunately, that is not the case for Alaska.

When Alaska turned to her mom and said, "You're acting like a crazy mom. I hate to have to say that, but it's true," I couldn't believe it. Normally, I'd hate a child saying something like that, but in this case, I thought she showed enormous restraint. She also sounded a great deal more mature and parental than either of her parents.

I agree, Tilden. That's why I felt their behavior was borderline chid abuse. Hopefully the mom (and stepdad) will make some change. I'd hate to imagine Alaska in 10 years from now if their behavior continues this way. How many people rise above that type of childhood?

FORT Fogey

I agree, Tilden. That's why I felt their behavior was borderline chid abuse. Hopefully the mom (and stepdad) will make some change. I'd hate to imagine Alaska in 10 years from now if their behavior continues this way. How many people rise above that type of childhood?
    That's what I thought was so amazing about Alaska. For her age, she seemed well aware that her parents were not evaluating her fairly and seemed to have goals of her own (the doctor comment). In fact, she recognized that her mother's behavior about her hair was juvenile and told her so without getting bratty. Made me think that there must be someone else in her life, like a grandparent or a teacher or a neighbor, someone who was letting her know that she had value and was capable of succeeding.

+ Reply to Thread