+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Toddlers & Tiaras

Re: Toddlers & Tiaras

These girls and young boys.....it just disturbs me that, in todays pageant world, we make a 5 year old girl look like she is 25. Why? Is she supposed to be 'sexy' and "mature"? She is a child for Christ's sake!! We are going to have an even more sexed-up generation of young girls if we don't stop this oversexualization of our youth. If a mommy wants to do a pageant, fine. But there is no way a baby or a toddler or a young child has the mental faculties to choose.

Or eliminate all the makeup and dresses and fake teeth and tanning and what not, and prevent the "winner" from winning cars and large amounts of money, maybe then we wont prostitute our daughters the way these so-called "mothers" are doing.
    Quemoni likes this.

I recall a couple of weeks ago one very young girl was doing what I'm sure was supposed to be her "talent".
    She must have been about three or four and wasn't one of the featured girls that week, but her little routine included bouncing on one hip, then licking her finger and putting it on her backside in the universal "I'm sizzlin'" way.

I'm not a fan of pageants at any age. I don't care how much organizers or participants want to focus on scholarships and self-esteem, or dubious talents portions, pageants are all about judging women by their attractiveness or we'd see a homely gal who's a really good juggler win once in a while.

I admit to being appalled by this show, but to me, it's oddly compelling.
    I wish it wasn't, but there you go.
    "That's Numberwang!"

it is a kind of creepy underworld sort of thing, this child-pageant world. it's really hard NOT to be appalled by it. especially the parents that stare, straight-faced, into the camera and tell us that they're only doing it because their CHILD so desperately wants to compete and you can tell by every single physical indicator that the kid doesn't want to do it. the redhead 2007 winner of the chitlin thing obviously wasn't in to it...and i snickered every time her dad said, 'this is cutting into my golf accessories' and 'whenever i see her onstage, i think of the golf cart i'm not driving right now'. and when golfer & mom see their daughter struggling, instead of running for the hills, the mother broaches that perhaps it's time to hire a coach and stylist. yeah, that's healthy. from the documentary pieces i've seen, this pageant world is extremely expensive and the prize money is pittance compared to the outlay. for instance , in the documentary i was discussing above, the childs mother said that she had spent around $60,000 for pageant expenses and her daughter had won about $1500. that's not a good investment in more ways than one...

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3416351;
    Elaborate dresses with hundreds of dollars of crystals, in the "cupcake" style for the younger girls (the ruffly tutu style), hairpieces, tanning, hair removal, flippers (the mouthpieces that give the appearance of a full set of teeth), makeup, false eyelashes.
    Lots of things creep me out about these shows, most of all the little girl mary janes & ruffled ankets they wear with the super short 'cupcake' dresses.

What I liked about the episode last week was that sure, there were some of the cupcake dresses but many of the girls were wearing the longer ones. They also had a "Living Doll" competition where they had to portray a doll-one of the girls was Pippi Longstocking, one of them did Tina Turner, and then the third girl they portrayed was Sasha (I believe a Bratz doll).

There was also a previous episode where there was a family of girls doing this pageant and it was their first full-glitz pageant and most of the daughters said that they preferred the natural-whereas many of the girls say that they love the glitz, they love the hair and the makeup and so forth. Some of them are probably itching to move on to wearing the longer dresses though, I do say.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

I found this show on comcast's On Demand program, yay! I can do some catch up.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I watch this show and the one thing I have noticed is that the more horrible the mother, the more likely they are to win. It is pretty disgusting! Another thing is the amount of money they spend to do it. The dresses for the glitz pagents cost thousands and then they have entry fees, modeling lessons, pagent coaches, flippers, tanning, hairpieces, makeup, etc.... The prize money wouldn't even bring them up to breaking even.

Those flippers freak me out! I just had to get that out of my system. Not that the wigs and makeup are any better, but those teeth.......YIKES!

Those freak me out as well-you're basically trying to present them as a doll if they have the flippers. I don't mind makeup and hair, because makeup can be done tastefully and hairpieces help when a girl has thinner hair, but flippers? Hello porcelain doll. Also the tanning and hair removal can be a bit excessive. I understand maybe doing some tanning if they are in a pageant with swimsuit but many spray tans make you orange-and you can get a bottle of a gradual tanning lotion for around $15, so it's something that can be done relatively cheaply.

The glitz dresses though...oy. Even for people making the dresses for their daughters, it's going to run several hundred. I think one of the mums spent $800 on the dress-$600 alone on crystals-but it would run thousands of dollars if bought at a store. I'm sorry, that's more than some people's wedding dresses.

Usually some of the pageant coaches are girls who have been through the system, many times since they were young-and they probably do it as a way to help them pay for the higher level pageants they may be doing. It's kind of sad when the girl is on stage in a multi-thousand dollar dress, but the family looks like they are dirt poor. Sure, the kids have their dreams, but most of the pageants on the show don't come with a cash prize-you're just going for the crown, sash, and trophies. It makes me wonder how some of them break even at all. In most cases they don't...the closest comparison would be the elite level sports, but for many of them a scholarship makes it all worth it. Competitive ice skating would be a huge example because the skates can be a couple thousand dollars, then dresses, travel, coaching...
    Last edited by Trista; 04-17-2009 at 05:19 PM.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Quote Originally Posted by Trista;3417239;
    It makes me wonder how some of them break even at all. In most cases they don't...the closest comparison would be the elite level sports, but for many of them a scholarship makes it all worth it. Competitive ice skating would be a huge example because the skates can be a couple thousand dollars, then dresses, travel, coaching...
    In the skating world generally you don't see people going all out for toddlers. Another positive about skating is that the teens can help teach with learn-to-skate classes - it's a great job to have at that age, much better than flipping burgers.

But I agree. There are a lot of organized activities that require a lot of parent cash to participate.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread