+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Toddlers & Tiaras

dancing through life TheIrishEyes's Avatar

Re: Toddlers & Tiaras

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    LOL I was thinking more along the lines of spanking and denial of treats.

Did you guys see the one where the mother would give the kid sugar to hype her up so she's stay awake and do her thing? That's just wrong! Then they complain when the child is out of control. Stop giving them sugar!
    pixie sticks = "pageant crack"
    Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tide

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

They ought to track the contestants on this show. Years from now, we'll all be watching Bridezillas and we'll be thinking "gee, that girl looks familiar"!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

My DS is 29yo (tomorrow) when he was 1yo he won a Cheerios photo contest. I submitted a picture of him sitting on a beach blanket laughing hysterically….anyway, we were informed by General Mills that he won first prize. GM submitted his name into a local state pageant which contacted us to take part in it. We did. Now he was 2yo. Bought him one outfit, oshkosh's and a turtleneck. He won that pageant. All expenses to Chicago for the Tiny Stars pageant, he was now 3yo, he won that one …. BUT BUT BUT … it was ABSOLUTE bedlam. The parents of these children competing were seriously OUT OF CONTROL. I was done.
    Chris did win allot of money (all savings bonds that he cashed in when he was 25yo) BUT for me it was just NOT something I felt I wanted to do, chase after these pageants, travel over hill and dale AND then see parents allowing behavior from kids that was OBNOXIOUS AND also seeing parents SCREAMING at their kids to perform.

NOT FOR ME.

This show and my experiences were truly a …………….
    KAREN

In my area, little kid pageants are almost nonexistant. I find this show fascinating......why????? Help me! LOL

Ok I'm gonna throw it out there... I love McKenzie.
    Freedom, Justice & Equality For All

FORT Fogey

Well, I guess I'll have to throw it back. I find Mackenzie oddly disturbing, even in the extremely weird world of child beauty pageants. She somehow manages to look and act both much older than she is and ridiculously babyish at the same time. Every time I see her, I think of Suzanne Sugarbaker on Designing Women, only Suzanne was capable of making me laugh, whereas Mackenzie just makes me cringe, as does her mother. What is with her mother, anyway? She seems incapable of expressing much emotion at all, whereas Mackenzie is completely over the top practically every time we see her. I also had the awful thought that unless she's being home schooled, she's in someone's kindergarten class or soon will be. Can you imagine being in charge of twenty or so kids and having Mackenzie fly into one of her furies, because she wasn't the center of attention? Or her milk wasn't cold enough? Or she didn't feel like coloring right now? Man, when she went into that closet and refused to come out, I would have said, "Fine. Stay there." And if she stayed too long and missed out on the rest of the pageant, too bad. But darned if I'd try to appease the little brat. I couldn't believe that acting coach was so anxious to work with her, other than that she hadn't seen her pitch a fit yet. There's no way she's going to make it as a child actor with so little discipline. There are scads of kids out there who would be easier to work with, and no director is going to want to deal with a beginner who screams and cries and refuses to cooperate at the drop of the proverbial hat.

I'm also appalled that Eden's mother, who'd pump up her child with Red Bull, is a teacher. I found Eden marginally easier to take than Mackenzie tonight until she had her crying fit over not winning that stupid princess bed, though perhaps that was the result of being overly tired (or out of Red Bull), since it was the end of the day.

By the way, was anyone else meanly glad that neither of them won and that the girl who did had a relatively simple hairstyle? Or am I just the only crotchedy grown up watching this mess?
    Holly in SoCal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    By the way, was anyone else meanly glad that neither of them won and that the girl who did had a relatively simple hairstyle? Or am I just the only crotchedy grown up watching this mess?
    I'm glad someone else said this first. I feel the exact same way, I thought it was nice to see someone else win. And I actually remember the girl who won from another episode of the show and I liked her and thought she was super cute. lol

I just watched this show for the very first time.....Eden creeps me out...and her mother creeps me out the most....
    Last edited by mina; 06-16-2011 at 01:06 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mina View Post
    I just watched this show for the very first time.....Eden creeps me out...and her mother creeps me out the most....
    I definitely find Eden's mother creepier than Eden, though I could do without Eden's massive ego. Given that she's only six, I tend to blame her mother for that ego, however. Eden's mom, though more willing to take a stand than Mackenzie's mom, is so very obviously hoping to use her daughter as a meal ticket that it's scary. When she went on about her being a singer and an entertainer, I thought, "She's SIX. How much of a voice and how entertaining could she be, unless she's obscenely talented, and if she were, she'd be doing something other than pageants." It also floored me that when Eden was having her crying jag over that stupid bed that her mother told her she needed to stop crying, because she was on camera. Yeah, she needed to stop crying--though at six, and probably exhausted, she needed help pulling herself together--but not because she was on camera but because she wasn't being a good loser. Her mom needed to stop, take her aside somewhere private, and help her calm down and explain about how well she had done and how many other little girls would have loved to have done as well as she did but that no one can win every time.

It would also be nice if she could have had Eden congratulate the little girl who did win to teach her about sportsmanship, if that little girl was still around once Eden calmed down (if she ever did).

Mackenzie's mother is on something, she has to be. The way she never seems to open her eyes all the way, the intonation of her voice, something is just very off there. Probably Valium or something to help her deal with that little monster she is raising. I don't think the kid is all that special, so not really sure why people seem so excited to work with her.

I always like it when one of the "others" wins.

On TLC they have "Little Ms. Perfect" and almost always the girl with the better personality and who isn't turned into a mini-slut/adult wins. On one show, a woman refused to even let her girl put on anything more than the minimal of makeup and the child placed really well. I think this show is more about showing the brats and drama, and just really putting a bad light on the pageant world. The TLC show is a bit more fair in showing both sides of it (the bad parents and the parents who are actually still parenting their budding beauty queens).
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

+ Reply to Thread