+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Toddlers & Tiaras

FORT Fogey

Re: Toddlers & Tiaras

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4174893;
    Tilden, these stories remind me of something Betty White's character from The Golden Girls might describe from her hometown. I think she was from Minnesota. LOL Really.
    Yes, Rose was from St. Olaf, Minnesota--which doesn't exist. I never liked her character on Golden Girls much, because they tended to make everyone in Minnesota sound horribly naive and/or stupid. I can't imagine a beauty queen from St. Olaf jumping off a float to go after someone trying to humiliate her (said beauty queen, when I knew her, graduated summa with a B.S. in biology and was accepted to med school--the GG writers would never have included that kind of characterization). I preferred the way the writers for the Mary Tyler Moore show portrayed Minnesotans. Mary Richards might have been somewhat naive but she wasn't stupid, and Sue Ann Nivens may have been a nympho happy homemaker, but she was quick-witted. Ted was stupid, but hey, there are some stupid people everywhere.

Sorry Tilden, I didn't mean to imply anybody was stupid. It's just the story reminded me of her some of her bizarre stories from that show. I found them entertaining and have no negative images of those who hail from Minnesota. I like MTM too.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Occasionally, I'll catch up on episodes of this show, just for the shock value.

I grew up in the deep South where every little girl of my acquaintance took lessons in dance, singing, music, elocution (!), and/or twirling. I had many friends who competed in these pageants. It was never THEIR idea. It was always about their parents' aspirations.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Regular

I am the mom of 2 boys, and thank heavens I never had to consider beauty pageants. (Yeah, I know boys are in them, but mine would have died first.) My stepdaughter was in 2 and decided that was enough for her. It's not just moms of pageant contestants are obnoxious about their kids; have you ever been to a tee-ball or little league game--of any sport?

Quote Originally Posted by mize77;4188609;
    I am the mom of 2 boys, and thank heavens I never had to consider beauty pageants. (Yeah, I know boys are in them, but mine would have died first.) My stepdaughter was in 2 and decided that was enough for her. It's not just moms of pageant contestants are obnoxious about their kids; have you ever been to a tee-ball or little league game--of any sport?
    I have boys, too. They're grown now, and they were jocks from the get go. And yes, we cheered them on. But we weren't supporting them because we thought they'd turn pro someday, and we didn't spend over $1,000 for their every opportunity to compete.

I guess that's what really shocks me the most about the pageant industry. The founders of successful pageants are making/have made fortunes on the aspirations of parents of little girls. So have the "trainers." In return, they bestow cheap, flimsy crowns and trophies. For the big winner, they cut a check for $500 or $1,000. What a scam!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I agree. The cost/benefit ration seems very disproportionate. I have 2 girls and a boy, and I always encouraged team sports. The girls are in University now and learned a lot about leadership, commitment, and frankly it kept them busy and out of trouble. There are obnoxious parents in every sport, but the pageant parents are made to seem very emotionally needy, IMO, and as edited by this show. The more money you have, the bigger crown your kid is going to win

As someone who had to judge one of these (and a last minute "We're desperate and calling anyone who may have a potential" one at that - Got asked to do it at work), I can say that these are rather irritating on many levels.

As a disclaimer though here - the one I attended the costs were reasonable, the dress requirements was Sunday best ONLY, and a small one.

The problem I had with it was that the organizers didn't tell us what we were supposed to judge on. We were given about 10 sheets so we could judge the contestants on each round with their qualifications. No specifics on criteria for special prizes though.

In the end, we had to re-judge about 5 competitions because they failed to tell us some candidates who were ineligible for prizes because they didn't enter part of the contest.

And what did I get out of this? - $25, with the apologies that they couldn't pay me more and this was the "best they could do." (said halfheartedly BTW).

I wasn't happy - in all honesty given they were literally desperate and called a paper to get a judge, it was less than 24-hour notice (not a huge factor in my case, but it didn't give me a chance to cancel should I have an emergency), and took three hours, had more than enough candidates to increase the pay, I should've been paid a bit more.

Needless to say, I won't do it again, and I was very, very irritated with pageants in general.

The one plus - all the kids were delightful and were clearly doing it for fun. They were not these prima donnas you see on this show. And I hope that they remain that way and the parents remember that this is for fun only.

I should make one clarification on my previous post - it was about 25-30 sheets total, not 10. We had a decent sized group, about 25 or so contestants.

Still... the whole process made me go "Why do parents put kids that young through it?"

On the plus side the youngest ones will at least probably forget about it and not stay interested in the pageants.

A little OT, but if you haven't seen "Little Miss Sunshine," you should. It's a hoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    A little OT, but if you haven't seen "Little Miss Sunshine," you should. It's a hoot!
    Now that you mention it. I saw the little girl who played Olive in that movie (Abigal Breslin) on The Tonight Show last night. Of course, she's all grown up now. She looks quite different, but what shocked me was her voice. Her speaking voice sounded VERY odd. It's difficult to describe. She sounded like she was trying to project her voice or something and that she was using lots of restraint in controlling her voice so she had no accent. IT was bizarre. I have never heard anything like it. Did anyone else catch it?

+ Reply to Thread