+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Toddlers & Tiaras

Re: Toddlers & Tiaras

Quote Originally Posted by RHFan1205;4160459;
    Bump for the new season. Is anybody else watching?
    I am! Maybe it's because I don't have kids, but I really love this show. It's one of my favorites. lol

Yeah, I saw the show, and really hated the way that poor little Shih Tzu got treated And 10 pixie stix girl. Gah.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;4167006;
    Yeah, I saw the show, and really hated the way that poor little Shih Tzu got treated And 10 pixie stix girl. Gah.
    Ugh, when she just dropped the dog on a hard plastic chair. How many of you let your 3-year-olds carry around their pets? Young children still need to be supervised around pets, not given a dog for a prop on stage. (I know the one onstage for the routine was fake, but the live one at the end - how cheesy.)

I can't help but laugh at the name Cealy, too. And beat out by a Sayla. Where was Serta?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4167043;
    Ugh, when she just dropped the dog on a hard plastic chair. How many of you let your 3-year-olds carry around their pets? Young children still need to be supervised around pets, not given a dog for a prop on stage. (I know the one onstage for the routine was fake, but the live one at the end - how cheesy.)

I can't help but laugh at the name Cealy, too. And beat out by a Sayla. Where was Serta?
    I would never let a three year old carry around a dog, because they aren't old enough to be responsible for carrying a dog--heck, some of them aren't steady enough on their feet to be doing that. Yet I can't count the number of times my leashed dog has been grabbed at by unsupervised children at farmers' markets, city parks etc. Fortunately, he's amazingly good tempered, but even he has his limits--the six year old who tried to pick him up by his back legs after running up behind us got barked at. Another dog might have bit her. At least her father scolded her and apologized to me, but that's unusual. I always congratulate children who ask first if they can pet my dog, and I make sure that their parents know that they asked first. But honestly, just because a dog looks like a cute stuffed animal isn't any excuse to allow your child to run at him or tell him/her it's okay to pet the doggie without asking the owner first. It's particularly aggravating if you're trying to accomplish something and you have to mind other people's kids while they do whatever they wish to do.

I also heard that unbelievably bratty three year old refer to her dog dismissively as "just a dog." Ack! All the years I had to spend proving I was ready for my first dog and she throws hers around and then says that? Some children do not deserve to have pets. Overall, I'd say the dog was considerably better behaved and better tempered than the child.

Incidentally, I also couldn't figure out why the judges were so ga-ga over her. She didn't smile on stage or even look mildly pleasant. She looked put out and annoyed, as if the whole thing was beneath her and they should just hand her the crown. On the other hand, I thought the little girl who came up to her and offered her a marshmallow because she was crying was kind of sweet. If nothing else, she was capable of empathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4167073;
    Incidentally, I also couldn't figure out why the judges were so ga-ga over her. She didn't smile on stage or even look mildly pleasant. She looked put out and annoyed, as if the whole thing was beneath her and they should just hand her the crown. On the other hand, I thought the little girl who came up to her and offered her a marshmallow because she was crying was kind of sweet. If nothing else, she was capable of empathy.
    I try not to judge the kids on things they can't control like their facial features, but I am totally with you on this girl. She really had an unpleasant expression on her face the whole time and it wasn't cute or funny. Even if she'd smiled, though, it would have looked odd. The judges just seemed to love her to pieces. This whole world is so strange and sad.

It really gets me because my daughter had the kind of personality that loved to dress up and if I'd wanted to, it would have been nothing to talk her into a pageant. There are so many more healthy ways to let them express themselves.

I watch this show with my 22-year old daugther -- we are both amazed at how horribly behaved many of these girls are and even more amazed that not only do their parents admit it, they seem proud of it. And that these tiny titans rule their homes and lives. Fantastic entertainment, not so good for the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4167095;
    I try not to judge the kids on things they can't control like their facial features, but I am totally with you on this girl. She really had an unpleasant expression on her face the whole time and it wasn't cute or funny. Even if she'd smiled, though, it would have looked odd. The judges just seemed to love her to pieces. This whole world is so strange and sad.

It really gets me because my daughter had the kind of personality that loved to dress up and if I'd wanted to, it would have been nothing to talk her into a pageant. There are so many more healthy ways to let them express themselves.
    Her name was Brenna, right? I didn't find her cute either. Her expression was peevish and she looked nervous onstage. I might expect that from a 3-year-old, but what concerned me was (I'm trying to think of a nice way to say it) her personality seemed to be in the early stages of something not so nice. If my girls spoke to their dad the way she talked to hers, they would have been frequent visitors to the time-out corner.

For some reason, my kids (age 11 & 7) are fascinated with this show. It's sort of a horrified fascination. If there are pageants in our area, we certainly aren't aware of them. Is this a big pasttime in some parts?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Same with my 10-year-old, and one time I was driving a group of her friends and they talked about the show the whole way, which was an hour! It's morbidly fascinating to them. I don't know where they do pageants, but I don't think they want spectators so they don't advertise them.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4167566;
    Same with my 10-year-old, and one time I was driving a group of her friends and they talked about the show the whole way, which was an hour! It's morbidly fascinating to them. I don't know where they do pageants, but I don't think they want spectators so they don't advertise them.

Yes, they have had problems with pedophiles & JonBenet Ramsey backlash so they try to limit attendees to family members.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;4167095;

Thing is, it really did look like a "controlled" facial feature on stage, or at least something she'd been taught to mimic. It appeared that she was trying to look peeved, as opposed to smiling, only it wasn't a Shirley Temple-ish "oh, look how cute she is when she pouts" expression at all. It was more like she was annoyed with the world. It wouldn't surprise me if she were either, since she's been so hopelessly spoiled that there's no way anything could be good enough for her anymore, which is truly sad.

And yes, obviously there are much more healthy ways to let little girls who like to dress up and perform express themselves--a children's theatre class or music lessons or dance lessons, depending on what particular interests the child has. All of those could also become lifetime hobbies/interests, as opposed to the pageant system, which most of them are going to age out of rather quickly. Not to mention that it's a lot cheaper to get involved in any of those things than the pageant circuit.

+ Reply to Thread