+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Like Tree253Likes

Thread: Teen Mom 3

Re: Teen Mom 3

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton View Post
    With all the couples in the US looking to adopt children that are professional, mature, and ready allowing a teenager to keep a child is ridiculous. A teen cannot even adopt a pet, and yet we allow them to care for, and in a lot of cases damage this people forever. I think that someone over 18 needs to be the one to become the caregiver, if none of the grandparents want to parent the child, than the child needs to go to a home with people that do. No matter what anyone says, Leah is damaged, and is continuing to become more damaged, Bentley is doing good, but his mother clearly is going downhill and who knows what will happen now, and Sophia's mother is so darn selfish that she is going to get hurt as well. NOt to mention poor Jace in the newer season.

You mention Jace, but Jenelle's mother (Barbara) has legal custody of him & still he is in a bad situation with all the yelling matches between Barb & Janelle, & Jenelle has moved in & out of the house several times & I'm sure has been under the influence of drugs &/or alcohol while around Jace. Poor Jace. That kid has it almost as bad as Leah.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton View Post
    With all the couples in the US looking to adopt children that are professional, mature, and ready allowing a teenager to keep a child is ridiculous. A teen cannot even adopt a pet, and yet we allow them to care for, and in a lot of cases damage this people forever. I think that someone over 18 needs to be the one to become the caregiver, if none of the grandparents want to parent the child, than the child needs to go to a home with people that do.
    I have been a foster parent for several years, and I tell you are leniency over allowing everyone to care for and raise children is outlandish. Being able to have sex is not an indication that a child should be allowed. We have to fill more paperwork out to adopt pets than to be allowed to raise someone that will have an affect on our society. I am sick of dealing with all the damaged children and adults that come from broken neglected homes, because we are too scared to stand up and say enough is enough.
    I applaud you for being a foster parent, however I think it is a rather dangerous blanket statement to say that a person over 18 must, in all cases, be the primary caregiver. My first child was born when I was 17 and I was certainly able to care for him adequately. If my parents or in-laws had been forced to step in at the beginning it would have been much more difficult for my husband and I to build parenting skills on our own. We were young, and it was hard, but we were capable and our son is now a well-adjusted 18 year old.

There are absolutely cases where teens are not capable of good parenting, but I suspect that is a very hard line to draw.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Easier to judge, I guess. Has no one noticed that most families DO NOT adopt? The system is huge for a reason. This has been going on for eons. Is fostering better than adopting? I don't know. Everytime I hear people beating the drum and marching up and down against the abortion choice, I always wonder what those people have done about adopting/fostering a child. What have they done to lighten the load?

I am in favor of children remaining with their parent(s), if at all possible.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fanatic

I'm an adoptive and bio mom. Told we may not be able to have children, she is 26 now, and other two girls are 21, and 20. Born to a 16 yr old who made a responsible decision for her child. Did an open adoption, though we did loose contact after the first 5 years. My husband (now ex) was a pro athlete, and of course they were notorious for having kids everywhere, but he stood up and became a spokesperson for the agency we adopted from.

JMHO, when I see or hear people debating abortion I too wonder what have you done. Not going to go there!
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

This is just a pet peeve of mine. Whenever I hear them talking on Teen Mom and the reunion shows about giving up for adoption, I just wonder why they can't say, they PLACED the child for adoption. The term "giving up," has a negative connotation IMO. "Placing the child" in a loving home with loving parents sounds better and also is really closer to the the truth.

I have some family members who had children at a very young age. We were horrified when we discovered the news, but things have worked out okay so far. I mean what can you do? Of course, the young parents have a great deal of emotional and financial support from both sides. Still, I guess it takes time to learn parenting. I try to be helpful with information and baby care items, but realize it's not my baby and bite my tongue at times. With safety issues, I have to speak up and have gotten some odd looks when I did. LOL It's rather surreal. One minute you have a kid you have to remind to wash behind his ears and wake up in the morning for school, and the next minute he's a dad. It is so bizarre. All we can do is support them as much as we can and pray the baby has a future. We try to encourage education for the parents and it seems to be working.
    Last edited by Debb70; 08-26-2011 at 11:27 AM.

FORT Fanatic

I too hate the term,"giving up for adoption." In 1985 the agency used the term "the bio mom made a responsible life plan" for her child.
    Debb70 likes this.
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

Quote Originally Posted by chitex3 View Post
    I too hate the term,"giving up for adoption." In 1985 the agency used the term "the bio mom made a responsible life plan" for her child.
    That sounds great.

Changing the subject a little bit.....anyone else disappointed with Maci this season? She used to be my absolute favorite, but last few episodes she's been shown in a different light. Maybe it's the editing MTV does? <3 to all.
    Debb70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jenniferboston1 View Post
    Changing the subject a little bit.....anyone else disappointed with Maci this season? She used to be my absolute favorite, but last few episodes she's been shown in a different light. Maybe it's the editing MTV does? <3 to all.
    Yes, I am. I was a big Maci fan from the beginning of Teen Mom, but it just seems like her choices aren't necessarily what's best for Bentley, but what she wants and what makes her happy.
    Debb70 likes this.

FORT Fogey

That is what money does. She had to be strong and push through to earn things, and now she has it a lot easier with the income. I like to see the stories, but it is sad how unrealistic they are portraying these girls as struggling. Maci and Amber live in nicer places than a lot of people I know, but we are to believe they are struggling. I think that is why Ryan's parents are so into him pushing for custody, maybe he does not get enough money for his appearance, and they want him more equal to Maci.

As far as children staying with their parents, I have seen the effects that trying over and over to have parents change has on children. We adopted a five year old that had so many attachment issues because his mother kept putting him with eveyrone in his family every time she had a slip. She had him at sixteen. Than we adopted a seven year old and her newborn baby sister. The only one out of the three that does not have permanent trauma issues is the newborn that was with us from the start. I know it would be great for all kids to stay with their birth families, but realistically giving birth is the least important thing to being a parent. I think that Bentley has a great support system, and hopefully things will work out, but I am completely against Leah remaining with either of her parents. The damage she is going to suffer is inexcusable.

As for the issue of people not stepping up to adopt, trust me there is a huge line of people that want to, however we give birth parents too many chances, and by the time the children are ready to be adopted, too much damage has been done, and it scares a lot of great families away. The laws are on the parents side, and the children suffer, and it is a shame. I applaud Tyler and Catelynn for what they did for Carly. I also so agree that giving up is totally wrong, they gave her a great start, and I hope that Carly and her adoptive and birth parents have a great future.

+ Reply to Thread