+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree253Likes

Thread: Teen Mom 3

Re: Teen Mom 3

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    Part of the reason to send people away from their home areas for rehab is to help break the connections with their behavior, people they associate with and begin anew.
    Yes, I agree but if you have ever watched the show Intervention...on many occasions they take the patients so far away that they have to change planes at different airports which includes a lot of down time and sitting around for them to contemplate their decision to go in the first place (especially while in the middle of detoxing).

Keep in mind, these patients have just hours prior very reluctantly agreed to even go to a rehab. Sure, they need to get away from their home areas to get away from their old habits and "connections" but they also need to get their butts into a facility without having too much time to change their mind and bolt.

I agree that there is always an underlying problem to substance abuse, I just feel so sad for these babies and I am not referring to the babies but to the teens that had the babies. They are all babies themselves and most come from such dysfunctional family life. I hope one day there will be a spin off to these shows "16 and Pregnant" and "Teen Mom" that would be something like "I am a Wealthy and Successful 24 year Old Single Mom" ......

My favorites are Caitlyn and Tyler, they have come from the most dysfunction and made the wise choice to give their baby up for adoption knowing it was the best situation for their baby. They were so unselfish in their decision even though they were pressured into not doing so....

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I thought that I heard, somewhere, that it takes about 5 times at rehab before it "takes". That kind of makes sense. It's not an overnight success/cure; I'm sure you've got to keep at it. I think it might be naive to think that it is.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I totally agree that the substance abuse is the tip of the iceberg with Amber, but that's true of a lot of people. Whatever the issues are that contribute to her inability to control herself or her negative impulses (the angry outbursts, any substance abuse etc.), if they're not addressed, the behavior isn't likely to change long term. Gary called the cops because Amber made a suicide attempt. If she's at that point, she really, really needs to get help with the issues in her life beyond her substance abuse too.

Jenelle, Jayce's mom, was in rehab too, last I heard. She signed over custody of Jayce to his grandma on the show itself. I assume that he's still in his grandmother's care, since we haven't heard anything different so far.

The only reason I was suspicious of Malibu, by the way, is because of places like Promises, which seem more like vacation resorts than rehab facilities. The success rate of people who've rehabbed there doesn't nearly match the price tag of going there. The Betty Ford Clinic has helped a lot more people, and it's not nearly so fancy--I remember when celebrities first started checking in there, they found out they were responsible for doing chores around the place too, including really non-glamorous things like cleaning their own toilets. The idea was, I think, that they needed to take charge of their lives in every respect, plus it kept them busy, which seemed to help with their recovery. I know an aunt of mine has a retired friend who'd always knitted, embroidered, quilted etc., and she decided to volunteer at a women's recovery center, because she thought it might help the women to have something to do that was productive instead of destructive. The women then had a craft fair and sold the stuff they produced, which was great, not only because it brought in some money the center badly needed but because the women got to hear all kinds of compliments on their work and got to talk to a lot of people who shared their new interests, people they might never have spoken to otherwise. As one woman put it, "It's the first time I've ever been praised for having a needle in my hand." Another woman said that when things get bad in the middle of the night, she now just turns on the light and reaches for her knitting instead of a drink--and even if she ends up knitting all night, at least she doesn't have a hangover the next day.
    that is such a nice story! thanks for sharing! I agree about Promises, too. It seems to be more like a resort than a rehab, & from what I can also tell, not an impressive success rate. Maybe it should be called Broken Promises. Doesn't Eric Clapton have something to do with it?
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I hope one day there will be a spin off to these shows "16 and Pregnant" and "Teen Mom" that would be something like "I am a Wealthy and Successful 24 year Old Single Mom" ......
    I don't. These kids already think "it'll be different for me" & that they'll still do whatever they want with ease, when that couldn't be further from the truth.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

FORT Fogey

Anyone else start chuckling over Farrah's surprise that some of her teachers found her "rude" and "bitchy" (though I did wonder whether those were the actual words used or Farrah's paraphrasing of the comments, because I have a hard time believing a teacher would call a student bitchy)? Um, hon, maybe that's because you come off as "rude" and "bitchy"?

I'm really not liking Ryan's father, who is being so pushy about Ryan taking Maci to court. On the other hand, I think both Maci and Ryan are being incredibly immature. Look, Maci, if Halloween is Ryan's day, then take him to your parents' so they can see him in his costume before you drop him off. Or after he gets back from his dad's. It's not going to make a bit of difference to Bentley if he gets to have a second Halloween the next day, and your parents will still think he's cute. It's also equally ridiculous for Ryan to call Maci the morning of Bentley's birthday to ask if he can have some time with him--again, just work it out ahead of time. Have Ryan take him out for a birthday breakfast and then Maci can take him to the aquarium. Or Maci takes him to the aquarium and then Ryan takes him out to supper. And for heaven's sake, stop the arguing and name calling in front of Bentley.

I do get props to Kyle for stepping to the back of the group birthday photo, however, and just blending in with the rest of the friends, so that Bentley would be in the front row with his parents and grandparents. He pretty obviously stepped to the back purposely, which was a polite thing for him to do.

Incidentally, when Amber went off with all those guys that night, did anyone else think she seemed kind of out of it. And why did Amber get all hostile with Gary when he told her he couldn't take Leah trick or treating, but his mom was going to do so and she was more than welcome to go with them? I realize Gary was kind of vague about having "things to do," but maybe he really did have to work or something, and he actually invited her to go with his mom and Leah. Amber and Gary's moms were civil with each other and Amber too. Again, it just seems like the problem is primarily Amber (and what a terrible, co-dependent, co-destructive couple Amber and Gary are).

Oh, yeah, and if Farrah's teachers didn't like what she did, perhaps she didn't follow the guidelines of the assignment correctly. It isn't Debra's fault if Farrah didn't understand what she was supposed to do (and frankly, I think Italian-Asian fusion sounds pretty bad myself, though I also think that maybe the instructor questioned the menu to see if Farrah would/could defend it appropriately). If her instructors didn't want a business plan but just wanted a menu, I would imagine they would have made that clear. Hated how snotty Farrah was when her family tried to take her out for dinner too.

And has anybody seen the preview where Farrah decides to get a puppy because Sophia wants one? Poor puppy! Besides, at Sophia's age, I doubt she could even announce that she wanted a puppy.
    AmyKay and Debb70 like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am glad that Ryan and Maci are finally going to court about custody issues. That's where they should have been a long time ago. They need to block everything out in stone so that they won't have to go through the "Can I.....Will you....." dance.

I was appalled at how Catelynn was dressed when she went to the job interview. Tyler was, moreso, dressed like the guy who was the "chef". And when Catelynn said something about "her girl hadn't called yet to tell her if she got the job".....I almost had to pick myself up off the floor......her "girl"????? I beg your pardon??? I've never seen somebody so ill-prepared and unprofessional. The boutique owner must be really desperate for a worker. That was just sad. Unacceptable. The ignorance was just offensive.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Wow. You were really that upset? How much time do you spend around teenagers? Because I'm 100% sure she didn't mean it offensively... it's just a lack of verbal skills. I think she meant "my" as in "the person I talked to, my interviewer" and "girl" just because she needed a noun... she couldn't use boss since she wasn't her boss yet..... I guess I just don't understand what you found so offensive and ignorant?

I love Tyler, and I love his mom. I love their relationship. I just think he has the best heart, and I was so glad to hear he's starting college!

Ryan's dad is right, Maci and Ryan do need to go to court and just get this whole thing settled so they can stop fighting in front of Bentley. Maci is reallly not liking having the tables turned on her, with Ryan holding her to this agreement, and with Ryan wanting more time with Bentley. I think it'll get worked out though, because I think everyone involved truly has Bentley's interests at heart. You can tell just by watching him that he is a well-loved, well-cared for little boy.

Amber just makes me sick. She's a spoiled brat, and something about those guys she was out with just skeeved me out.

FORT Fogey

I think part of the problem was that Amber was the only girl with something like five guys. Now, I have, and always have had, guy friends, but I don't recall ever going out in a group of six where I was the only woman. That's just odd.

Tyler's mom really does seem like a good parent. Makes me wonder what she ever saw in Butch. But perhaps she had a misspent youth and straightened herself out, even if Butch didn't.

It makes me sad that Tyler and Catelynn seem stuck raising Catelynn's little brother now. He seems like a nice enough little boy, despite his temper tantrum over having to pick up his toys (which Tyler and Catelynn handled much better than April likely would have--they even knew the one minute per year of age timeout rule), but part of the reason they gave Carly up for adoption was that they weren't ready to be parents and she deserved better. Though Tyler and Catelynn clearly have her little brother's best interests at heart, he deserves more mature, full-time parents too. And they need to have time to concentrate on school etc.

FORT Fogey

I've wondered about Tyler's mom and Butch too. Well, it was 18 years ago right? Maybe he was better looking and she was young? I don't know.

FORT Fogey

I've always theorized that having kids caused Tyler's mom to grow up--maybe she had a rebellious stage with Butch, which he never got over and she did. Tyler's said that Butch has been in jail/prison/rehab for pretty much all of Tyler's life, so Tyler's mom had to do all the parenting on her own.

Or maybe I'm just assuming that, because Tyler was a screw-up when he was a young teenager, but post-Carly, he seems to have come around, and that makes me think something similar happened with his mom. Thank heavens he took after her and not his dad.

+ Reply to Thread