+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4/12: Teen Mom 2: Unseen Moments

FORT Fogey

4/12: Teen Mom 2: Unseen Moments

Didn't see a thread for tonight's show, so I thought I'd start one.

I'm not normally one who's judgmental about people needing assistance, but it does rather irk me that spoiled rotten Chelsea, who's basically totally dependent on her father for everything and is constantly getting pedicures, going out to dinner with Daddy, and being treated to expensive concerts/hotel rooms for her and her friends for her birthday, is on Medicaid. How about she gets off her duff and DOES something and in exchange for that, Daddy treats her to some health insurance instead of another meal or concert or month's housing? I hate the whole "unworthy welfare mother" stereotype with a passion, and it's people like Chelsea who feed it. And by the way, I had all four wisdom tooth removed surgically at once, I ended up with one of them being impacted and very painful, and I never once required a wheelchair. Geez!

Similarly, I wish that Jenelle and Kieffer, who seem to find the money for drugs and bail but not for food, would have had to do something in exchange for the grocery cart of food they rolled out of that food bank. They're both capable of doing something like helping stock shelves etc. and neither of them were employed, so I don't think it's like asking someone who's incapable or overwhelmed by other responsibilities to give up a couple of hours of his/her time in exchange for quite a bit of food for two people. Somehow I suspect if they were asked to give the food bank even two hours of volunteering time a week, they'd have left without the food, because they're just exactly self-involved. It's not like I want to see anyone go hungry, but they seemed to think it was just one grand plan to keep them going indefinitely as opposed to a stop gap solution, which is the way most people would see it. I don't think it was close to their only option--it was just the easiest.

On the other hand, I was really impressed by how well that food bank was run and how hard that woman tried to explain how to use the fresh vegetables when Jenelle showed next to no interest in them. I think she really cares about those who come in and seeing that they eat well.

FORT Regular

Re: 4/12: Teen Mom 2: Unseen Moments

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Didn't see a thread for tonight's show, so I thought I'd start one.

I'm not normally one who's judgmental about people needing assistance, but it does rather irk me that spoiled rotten Chelsea, who's basically totally dependent on her father for everything and is constantly getting pedicures, going out to dinner with Daddy, and being treated to expensive concerts/hotel rooms for her and her friends for her birthday, is on Medicaid. How about she gets off her duff and DOES something and in exchange for that, Daddy treats her to some health insurance instead of another meal or concert or month's housing? I hate the whole "unworthy welfare mother" stereotype with a passion, and it's people like Chelsea who feed it. And by the way, I had all four wisdom tooth removed surgically at once, I ended up with one of them being impacted and very painful, and I never once required a wheelchair. Geez!

Similarly, I wish that Jenelle and Kieffer, who seem to find the money for drugs and bail but not for food, would have had to do something in exchange for the grocery cart of food they rolled out of that food bank. They're both capable of doing something like helping stock shelves etc. and neither of them were employed, so I don't think it's like asking someone who's incapable or overwhelmed by other responsibilities to give up a couple of hours of his/her time in exchange for quite a bit of food for two people. Somehow I suspect if they were asked to give the food bank even two hours of volunteering time a week, they'd have left without the food, because they're just exactly self-involved. It's not like I want to see anyone go hungry, but they seemed to think it was just one grand plan to keep them going indefinitely as opposed to a stop gap solution, which is the way most people would see it. I don't think it was close to their only option--it was just the easiest.

On the other hand, I was really impressed by how well that food bank was run and how hard that woman tried to explain how to use the fresh vegetables when Jenelle showed next to no interest in them. I think she really cares about those who come in and seeing that they eat well.
    I was also really impressed with the food bank too. It seemed really well run and they did give a lot of food for two people. I do agree that they should have had to volunteer some time in exchange for all that food. Places like that need volunteer work to keep running.

I definitely agree with you that Chelsea gives a bad name to people on medicaid. My mom has had problems getting medicaid and she's had a stroke and is completely paralyzed on half of her body, while Chelsea, who sits on her rear end and does nothing gets it with no problem. As for the wheelchair thing, some places require that after surgery for safety reasons because of the anesthesia. They don't want the liability of anyone falling because they're a bit disoriented before leaving the hospital.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by princessleslie View Post
    I was also really impressed with the food bank too. It seemed really well run and they did give a lot of food for two people. I do agree that they should have had to volunteer some time in exchange for all that food. Places like that need volunteer work to keep running.

I definitely agree with you that Chelsea gives a bad name to people on medicaid. My mom has had problems getting medicaid and she's had a stroke and is completely paralyzed on half of her body, while Chelsea, who sits on her rear end and does nothing gets it with no problem. As for the wheelchair thing, some places require that after surgery for safety reasons because of the anesthesia. They don't want the liability of anyone falling because they're a bit disoriented before leaving the hospital.
    Assuming they were capable of doing the work, a lot of people would probably be completely okay with providing a well run food bank with a few hours of help in exchange for the food. They might even prefer it, if they were uncomfortable with the idea of needing to ask for the help.

That's what made me so mad about Chelsea being on Medicaid. There are plenty of people who need Medicaid and Medicare who can have difficulty navigating the system and getting what they genuinely need and have no other way of paying for, and unfortunately, many elderly people are getting caught in statewide budget cutting that's affecting nursing homes in particular. I have no trouble seeing why they need help. I do have trouble seeing why anyone other than Chelsea should be paying for painkillers for her wisdom teeth, considering how little she is expected to do for herself and how much more she could be doing.

And if Chelsea needed a wheelchair because she might be disoriented, they better keep one around 24/7, because she frequently seems totally out of touch with reality.

Oh, and did anyone catch the very beginning of the show? I came in just as Adam appeared to be shoving a cat into a cage at a vet's or a shelter (I couldn't tell which). What I could tell is that he was doing it none too gently. The guy's just a total jerk.

FORT Fogey

What I don't understand about Chelsea is that if her dad had health insurance, she should still be able to be on it until she's like 21 or something. Most insurances have been doing that to cover kids through college.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain View Post
    What I don't understand about Chelsea is that if her dad had health insurance, she should still be able to be on it until she's like 21 or something. Most insurances have been doing that to cover kids through college.
    I live in Georgia, so I don't know about her state in particular. But my dad's health insurance only still covers me because I'm a full time student. If I was a part-time student or not a student at all it would have been canceled when i turned 18. I'm assuming that's why, because she certainly isn't any kind of student.

Health insurance changed last year. A child can be on a parent's health insurance until 21. There are certain qualifications.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    Health insurance changed last year. A child can be on a parent's health insurance until 21. There are certain qualifications.
    No, it's 26 now for dependents across the board. But when this was filmed, it's possible his plan had not instituted that change yet, assuming of course that he has insurance through his employer.
    _(Moo!)

FORT Fogey

It irked me to no end to see her getting help with her medical issues when her father clearly has money to buy her concert tickets, food, etc. I know it is not his job to take care of her, but clearly he is, and it should not be our job when she is perfectly capable of getting off her lazy duff and working.

I have a friend who went to college got her Master's, and all the time was suffering from MS. She is only 37 right now, and is wheelchair bound for life. When she tried to get some assistance from the government, it was so hard for her, and they literally told her that her car and her degree were too much assets for her to be considered. They did not even care she could not walk or control her muscles at all, and had to have treatments three times a week. Yet this spoiled child gets pain meds on us. I am so sick of our country cutting things for people that deserve them, and giving these ingrates everything. Why do Jenelle and Kiefer deserve all that food when they are both able bodied and can work?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MamaAmyG View Post
    No, it's 26 now for dependents across the board. But when this was filmed, it's possible his plan had not instituted that change yet, assuming of course that he has insurance through his employer.
    Is he employed by someone else or does he own his own business? If he owns his own business, could he be paying for his own health insurance?

Still makes me mad, however, that Chelsea can come up with the money for frequent pedicures, designer coffees, shopping trips, hideous leopard and pink everything, and yet she can't pay for what would probably be no more than a week's worth of pain killers for her teeth--which, when removed, simultaneously removed the only thing having anything to do with wisdom in her entire silly head. Her father pays for every unnecessary foolish thing she thinks she needs and Medicaid has to pay for her pills?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by princessleslie View Post
    I live in Georgia, so I don't know about her state in particular. But my dad's health insurance only still covers me because I'm a full time student. If I was a part-time student or not a student at all it would have been canceled when i turned 18. I'm assuming that's why, because she certainly isn't any kind of student.

Yet another reason to be annoyed that lazy, unfocused Chelsea hasn't managed to do a thing toward getting any kind of a degree, even a GED.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast