+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2/22 Teen Mom Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 2/22 Teen Mom Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by chitex3 View Post
    I didn't watch these moms from the beginning of their stories, so I ask who is the father of Jenelle's baby, was he ever on the show, what happened to him?

Second, where in Wilmington do you think she is going to school, a college, university or jc?

I'm hoping for her, but that new boyfriend looks like a loser, and just not sure if he's in her corner or pocket! Can't stand the mom or her man either!
    Janelle has said earlier that she was attending Cape Fear Community College in Wilmington. She also said that she wants to transfer later to college there, which is the University of North Carolina at Wilmington. It's a great old city with much charm and history. It's on the coast and has a great beach (Wrightsville Beach). It's in my home state and I visit there several times per year.

I don't think Janelle is out of the woods; far from it. I do think that some of her true positive traits have shined through though. I think she has lots to offer is she can get her head on straight, learn to listen to wiser people and really commit to her education, which includes staying away from drugs. I don't think she is as mean as I first thought, but she does need help with rage control.

that really isn't true . . . . there's no mandate that financial aid used for housing must be used for university owned housing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post

As for Jenelle....well, at least she made it to class. And her mother did tell her she was proud of her for going to school. But other than that, she's still a mess, and someone needs to inform her that financial aid was never meant to help her get an apartment with her boyfriend. There is aid for on-campus or school-approved/owned housing, but not just for living wherever with whomever. You can get loans to do that too, but financial aid is supposed to be for books, tuition etc.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by buttahfly View Post
    that really isn't true . . . . there's no mandate that financial aid used for housing must be used for university owned housing.
    That depends entirely on the kind of financial aid you're getting. Some loans can be used for housing elsewhere. Some cannot. Some colleges allow their financial aid to be used only for campus-owned housing. Some don't care. But regardless, unless Jenelle was given an enormous amount of financial aid, her notion that financial aid could have helped pay for housing for her and her boyfriend is pretty naive. What she would have had left over after tuition, books, fees etc. wouldn't have been enough to do much toward that. She also applied for financial aid so late that it's less likely that she got a great deal of aid, even if she qualified for it. Unless that junior college is incredibly generous with its deadlines, there's no way she could have applied for any kind of direct help from them, for instance. Colleges want to nail down financial aid early for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that they want to make sure students have committed to the college as soon as possible, so they can have some idea of how large the next incoming class will be.

I hope Jenelle can succeed. I hope all of them, even Chelsea, somehow succeed. But Jenelle, whatever degree of natural intelligence she may or may not possess, seems very disorganized and unaware of how college works. She's taking at least four courses, which is a full load, and she's intending to work as well, plus commuting an hour there and back every time she wants to see Jayce and without, as of yet, a long-term housing plan. That's a lot for an organized student with a history of good self-discipline. Jenelle would have to change mightily and immediately, and I'm not sure she's currently in a position to do that, especially since her relationship with Kiefer isn't necessarily helping her any. She's going to need a lot of help, and she's going to have to reach out to do that and then seriously commit to the plans worked out with her by those in a position to help her. I'm afraid before she'll be willing to do that, she's going to have to hit some kind of bottom we haven't seen her acknowledge hitting. I get that her environment undoubtedly helped shape who she is and that she's young, though since I see plenty of young people her age who don't come from necessarily the best situations and still manage their lives better than that, and that includes single parents, it's harder for me to accept that as an excuse. It's an explanation, sure, and it's sad that she hasn't been raised as a child should be, but that's what happened--and now she has a child of her own, so she doesn't have the luxury of the time to continue to screw up. She's got to wake up ASAP. If she's not capable of doing that because of other issues--and her somewhat flat affect in situations where you'd think she'd be more emotional combined with her problems with anger control in other cases indicate that she might benefit from some counseling--then I hope she manages to address those issues soon. She just doesn't have the time to build castles (or apartments or jobs or relationships) in the sky anymore.

And yeah, I think much of what I said also applies to her mother. I don't feel very confident about Jayce being in her care either. The only advantages to him being there are that he has a roof over his head and a steady income that can pay for his care. That's not really enough either, but it's more than what Jenelle has for even herself at the moment. I'd really prefer that they all be in family counseling.
    Last edited by Tilden; 03-01-2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: paragraphing

Have you guys seen this article that details the charges against Janelle and Keiffer? It also has their mug shots.

They were caught living in an apt for which they did not have permission. My question is, is it the same apt. they have shown them staying the last two weeks? They clearly showed Keiffer calling someone and asking if they could stay in their beach house for 2 weeks. They then went over and started staying there. I wonder if it's the same house and if he really sought permission.

Although it's bad, it's not as sinister as I thought when I heard she was charged with breaking and entering. It was bascially because they had no where else to stay. They should have checked out a homeless shelter.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...#ixzz1ANdTlTbl

FORT Fogey

They were caught living in an apt for which they did not have permission. My question is, is it the same apt. they have shown them staying the last two weeks? They clearly showed Keiffer calling someone and asking if they could stay in their beach house for 2 weeks. They then went over and started staying there. I wonder if it's the same house and if he really sought permission.

Although it's bad, it's not as sinister as I thought when I heard she was charged with breaking and entering. It was bascially because they had no where else to stay. They should have checked out a homeless shelter.

The article says they were charged with allegedly breaking into the house; when the cops arrived, they found the back door of the house ajar, and Jenelle said that Kiefer was hiding her car elsewhere. If they thought they needed to hide the car, I suspect they knew they weren't supposed to be there. I don't know if it was the same house they were supposedly given permission to live in for two weeks, but even if it were, they were arrested in mid-October. If Jenelle's school started in September, even late September, they likely would have used up their two weeks by then, and maybe they weren't supposed to be there anymore. If it's a different house, then they may never have had permission to live there in the first place. They also admitted to the pot and pipe the cops found in the house. The amount of pot was fairly small, probably for their own use as opposed to either of them dealing the stuff, but it's still illegal and not a smart move if Jenelle has hopes of getting Jayce back any time soon. Or holding onto her job. Or managing to keep up with her schoolwork.

Speaking of which, most colleges would have someone to whom a student who had become homeless could reach out who could help them find some kind of temporary shelter. However, depending on the shelter, Jenelle may or may not have been able to keep Kiefer with her, and that seems to be especially important to her, so maybe she was unwilling to reach out for the help. Or wasn't aware it existed. Jenelle doesn't seem particularly aware of how to negotiate systems that could help her.

Teen Mom 2 star Jenelle Evans's police mugshot after arrest for marijuana possession | Mail Online[/QUOTE]

i've never herd of a loan specifying it must be used for on campus housing. and considering she is going to a juco, there is no univ owned housing.

housing and accomodations are valid uses of the funds, but in all reality student loans don't specify that the $$$ be used for anything in particular. i knew plenty of kids in college that took out student loans and used the money for clothes, electronics, going out, etc. bc their parents were paying their tuition, books, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    That depends entirely on the kind of financial aid you're getting. Some loans can be used for housing elsewhere. Some cannot. Some colleges allow their financial aid to be used only for campus-owned housing. Some don't care. But regardless, unless Jenelle was given an enormous amount of financial aid, her notion that financial aid could have helped pay for housing for her and her boyfriend is pretty naive. What she would have had left over after tuition, books, fees etc. wouldn't have been enough to do much toward that. She also applied for financial aid so late that it's less likely that she got a great deal of aid, even if she qualified for it. Unless that junior college is incredibly generous with its deadlines, there's no way she could have applied for any kind of direct help from them, for instance. Colleges want to nail down financial aid early for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that they want to make sure students have committed to the college as soon as possible, so they can have some idea of how large the next incoming class will be.

I hope Jenelle can succeed. I hope all of them, even Chelsea, somehow succeed. But Jenelle, whatever degree of natural intelligence she may or may not possess, seems very disorganized and unaware of how college works. She's taking at least four courses, which is a full load, and she's intending to work as well, plus commuting an hour there and back every time she wants to see Jayce and without, as of yet, a long-term housing plan. That's a lot for an organized student with a history of good self-discipline. Jenelle would have to change mightily and immediately, and I'm not sure she's currently in a position to do that, especially since her relationship with Kiefer isn't necessarily helping her any. She's going to need a lot of help, and she's going to have to reach out to do that and then seriously commit to the plans worked out with her by those in a position to help her. I'm afraid before she'll be willing to do that, she's going to have to hit some kind of bottom we haven't seen her acknowledge hitting. I get that her environment undoubtedly helped shape who she is and that she's young, though since I see plenty of young people her age who don't come from necessarily the best situations and still manage their lives better than that, and that includes single parents, it's harder for me to accept that as an excuse. It's an explanation, sure, and it's sad that she hasn't been raised as a child should be, but that's what happened--and now she has a child of her own, so she doesn't have the luxury of the time to continue to screw up. She's got to wake up ASAP. If she's not capable of doing that because of other issues--and her somewhat flat affect in situations where you'd think she'd be more emotional combined with her problems with anger control in other cases indicate that she might benefit from some counseling--then I hope she manages to address those issues soon. She just doesn't have the time to build castles (or apartments or jobs or relationships) in the sky anymore.

And yeah, I think much of what I said also applies to her mother. I don't feel very confident about Jayce being in her care either. The only advantages to him being there are that he has a roof over his head and a steady income that can pay for his care. That's not really enough either, but it's more than what Jenelle has for even herself at the moment. I'd really prefer that they all be in family counseling.

FORT Fanatic

I know my two in college, their grants and scholarships are put in their account, for them to do what they please. It is a mc, which also serves as their dorm keys, and id. Tuition and fees are subtracted by the university first, then the rest is for them.They had to live on campus 1st year, but now they have an off campus apt.

But, I know most jc's don't have housing, but I knew UNC was located there, and surely lots of affordable student housing.

Need to wear my glasses, though Keifer always had a toothpick in his mouth, now find it is a lip ring! Not oppossed, as one of my daughters has one, just gotta make sure it doesn't look like a toothpick!
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

FORT Fogey

I should have been clearer--it depends on what kind of a loan it is in terms of what institution/group is issuing it. The larger point, that after everything else is paid for, there isn't generally that much left to pay for housing still holds. And yes, it's possible to get larger loans, but whatever you get you are supposed to pay back later, which means if Jenelle was planning on getting a student loan to pay for an apartment for herself and Kiefer, she was planning on going into debt for his housing as well as her own, which doesn't seem wise. But it didn't sound as if that's what she was planning--she just expected that there would be more money left over than there was, which means she wasn't thinking too clearly about what things cost. Or how to economize. For instance, colleges that expect students to be able to qualify for government loan programs--which is basically all colleges---are now required to have their book lists out well in advance of the beginning of the term, specifically so that students can shop around for the best price on supplies (which can be a great big pain for colleges, since it's not always clear months in advance what new texts might be available for consideration). Because Jenelle, who had talked about going to college for months, hadn't looked into financial aid until right before school started, and barely made the deadline to get her forms in, she likely also registered later and couldn't take advantage of looking around for cheaper texts.d

I realize Jenelle may not have had a history of college attendance in her family and thus couldn't have gotten advice there, but most high schools have counselors that can explain all that. I don't understand why Jenelle (or Kailyn, for that matter) seemed so ill-informed about financial aid etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123