+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2/8 Teen Mom Discussion **spoilers**

Re: 2/8 Teen Mom Discussion **spoilers**

Some good comments here. I applied for everthing available when in college in one application. This was done long before school started, however, I never received my checks by the time classes started. I was repeatedly told their were backed up and would get to me when they could. My friends and I would spend hours of time calling for updates and stand in line to be told the same thing. It was horrible! The school would allow us to register and start classes. They even let you charge the costs for books! You just had to pay when the checks arrived. I guess they knew they would get their money because they would hold your grades until you paid. Of course, that was long time ago at a public NC university.

What I suspect in the cases on Teen Mom 2 is that the income from Teen Mom is screwing up these girl's eligibility. If they are getting a handsome check from MTV, they may make too much money to get help. I'm not sure they would qualify for much if they are making over $100,000.00 per year. I would think they make at least that being on Teen Mom. Of course, perhaps the money is held until the end of the filming. That's why they claim to be broke.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4188297;
    Some good comments here. I applied for everthing available when in college in one application. This was done long before school started, however, I never received my checks by the time classes started. I was repeatedly told their were backed up and would get to me when they could. My friends and I would spend hours of time calling for updates and stand in line to be told the same thing. It was horrible! The school would allow us to register and start classes. They even let you charge the costs for books! You just had to pay when the checks arrived. I guess they knew they would get their money because they would hold your grades until you paid. Of course, that was long time ago at a public NC university.

What I suspect in the cases on Teen Mom 2 is that the income from Teen Mom is screwing up these girl's eligibility. If they are getting a handsome check from MTV, they may make too much money to get help. I'm not sure they would qualify for much if they are making over $100,000.00 per year. I would think they make at least that being on Teen Mom. Of course, perhaps the money is held until the end of the filming. That's why they claim to be broke.
    Would the eligibility for financial aid take into account their salaries from Teen Mom 2? Obviously the next year's financial aid would be affected, but if they applied last winter/spring, as they should have, would they have already started filming? Would they have been under contract? And if they do have income now that would over-qualify them for aid, shouldn't the financial aid officers know about that and tell them so?

I honestly hope the money is held until the end of filming. Really, I wish a portion of it were automatically set aside for the babies, who also are having their childhoods taped and thrown out there for public viewing. I know that's true for child actors, and I know there was lobbying for such legislation for reality show children, particularly after the Jon/Kate debacle, but I don't know that it's passed yet. If a portion of it were held in trust for them, then they'd have a potential college fund set aside for when they were ready for college, if that's what they chose to do with it.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4188317;
    I honestly hope the money is held until the end of filming. Really, I wish a portion of it were automatically set aside for the babies, who also are having their childhoods taped and thrown out there for public viewing. I know that's true for child actors, and I know there was lobbying for such legislation for reality show children, particularly after the Jon/Kate debacle, but I don't know that it's passed yet. If a portion of it were held in trust for them, then they'd have a potential college fund set aside for when they were ready for college, if that's what they chose to do with it.
    I'm like 95% sure like half of the money is put into a trust fund for the babies that they can't touch until they're 18. I think it was one of the things in the contract for them to be in the show.

You know I was thinking about Jenelle and her mother why is there ALL THIS SCREAMING constantly when Jenelle is her only child? I am confused.
    I could possibly understand if there were many kiddos and things were hectic constantly in a house FULL of children but it appears it has just been the two of them? That just is so odd. Two people, together, screaming LOUDLY at each other all the time.
    I think Barbara, the mother, has some deep rooted issues and possibly Jenelle was the only one there to get the brunt of her anger with her life's issues.
    One of the college counselors even said to Jenelle that she saw her grades and they were very good. So it appears, she is a smart kid.
    BUT I think if your environment 24/7 is constant screaming, then you become a screamer and soon little Jace will be screaming.
    I did notice, Mike the bf, was yelling at Jenelle.

Let me just say I am not condoning any of Jenelle's irresponsibility at all. She does bring allot of it on herself, like her bf said.

But sheesh, the mom screaming about needing to find the IRS statements so she could get financial aid all that swearing.
    KAREN

I agree about the screaming. For some people it's just a habit or way of life. She and Janelle need to sit down with a mental health professional who can explain why it is harmful to Jace and destructive to their relationship. They must learn new ways to communicate and to control their anger and frustration. They need to practice it under a structured setting, like role playing. Let Janelle play act her mom and mom play act as Janelle. It's a good tool to get them to recognize what the other is going through.

I'm just waiting to see how Janelle gets those criminal charges and if her new boyfriend is envolved. I bet her mom really lost it when that happened.

Let's compare: Chelsea's dad pays for rent and other necessities for his unemployed daughter while she finishes high school and goes through beauty school, with very few ground rules but one of those being that Adam stays out. Within three episodes Adam is back in, disrespecting Dad's wishes and his generous help. Dad does nothing.
    Jo's parents provide free room and board for Kailyn and Jo while they work and go to college. They threaten to kick Kailyn out when she pursues another relationship, they make clear that the fighting is unacceptable and that expectations exist and need to be met. The law is laid down, Jo (at least) responds with immaturity, and he, Kailyn, and Isaac are no longer welcome in the home and they have to figure out their own arrangements.

And guess what? They talk and begin attempting to figure it out. While Kailyn's initial response was a bit selfish and immature ("but my work and job are here, I'm not moving to Jersey period!"), she eventually opened up to the possibility of having to make drastic changes in her own plans and got on board the team.

I dunno, I'm rambling, but I thought those two situations were interesting in parallel. Kailyn and Jo may not work as a couple forever, but I think getting kicked out was the best thing that could happen to them as far as making them a better team for their son.
    _(Moo!)

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4188401;
    I agree about the screaming. For some people it's just a habit or way of life. She and Janelle need to sit down with a mental health professional who can explain why it is harmful to Jace and destructive to their relationship. They must learn new ways to communicate and to control their anger and frustration. They need to practice it under a structured setting, like role playing. Let Janelle play act her mom and mom play act as Janelle. It's a good tool to get them to recognize what the other is going through.

I'm just waiting to see how Janelle gets those criminal charges and if her new boyfriend is envolved. I bet her mom really lost it when that happened.
    I completely agree. All that screaming and swearing is not good for Jace. Even the mothers boyfriend was screaming and swearing at Jenelle. Not good.

I agree MamaAmyG. Those two were bothering me with this attitude that they have to fight all the time. It's as if they have no conrol over it. It's just something that have to do. Why is Joe like that? His parents don't seem that way. I have agreed with everything his mom has said. She is a reasonable and generous person. You would think her setting that example would have made some impact on those kids.

How much time has passed since they started filming Kailyn and Joe's baby? He sure is a little thing. I was expecting him to be bigger by now.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

One thing I want to give Kailyn and Jo credit for. Jo took Isaac to NJ while Kailyn was at work/school, and she didn't freak out. I like that she is able to trust Jo with the baby. Although Jo is a grump, he seems to love the baby, and now that Isaac isn't an infant anymore, Jo seems comfortable, and able. Can't say that for the other moms and dads.

FORT Fogey

Just read a notice in this morning's newspaper of college financial aid workshops being held in twelve different locations in the state on the same day, the idea being that prospective students could get help filling out their family financial aid statements etc. in one fell swoop.

It really seems ridiculous that Jenelle and Kailyn appeared so ill-informed when it comes to how college bills/financial aid works. All of that should have been taken long before they were ready to start classes.

And, as I am rewatching the episode right now, I really want to slap Chelsea, who is so immature. She's sitting there telling Aubrey about how she's working on her high school diploma on-line. The baby appears content. But Chelsea has to talk to her and make noises until she starts to fuss, at which point Chelsea is too distracted, yet again, to do any of the work toward her diploma. Argh! If your kid is happy sitting in the high chair watching you, take advantage of that time to get some work done--that idiot isn't ever going to finish her high school coursework on her own, and her father should realize that by now. Chelsea needs to be sitting in supervised summer school courses and/or working with a tutor if she's ever going to get that work done, because she's utterly lacking in self-discipline. But frankly, I don't think she cares about getting the work done nor do I think she really cares about getting into cosmetology school. She only cares about what pleases her at the moment, and she's not going to change until she is forced to start paying her own bills and make her own way. She tells her sister that the more her father pushes her to complete that degree, the more it "bugs" her that he doesn't understand that she has to do this in her own way. Well, look, sweetie, your own way is taking for-freakin'-ever, and if your father, who is paying for everything at the moment, finds that frustrating, it's completely understandable. Grow up, already!

I'd also like to know how in the world you get high school PE credit on line. Shouldn't you have to do something involving actual physical movement to get a gym credit?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast