+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 1/25 Teen Mom Discussion Thread

FORT Regular

Re: 1/25 Teen Mom Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;4169251;
    Megan is pregnant, there are photos of her online. She is hoping to get a Teen Mom spinoff show starring both she and Chelsea.
    Thats just ignorant. You'd think if anything she could watch the things Chelsea had to sacrifice to have Aubree and learn from it but apparently not. This seems like her just being greedy and wanting her own fame and fortune.

Megan is pregnant, there are photos of her online. She is hoping to get a Teen Mom spinoff show starring both she and Chelsea.
    MTV better not do that! It will only validate what a lot of people are saying lately, which is that girls are deliberately getting pregnant to get on this show & make a payday.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by holly71;4169400;
    MTV better not do that! It will only validate what a lot of people are saying lately, which is that girls are deliberately getting pregnant to get on this show & make a payday.

I also can't imagine that such a show would be very interesting. Neither have personalities that exactly jump off the screen---and I don't mean that as a criticism. There's absolutely nothing wrong with not being the kind of person who's seemingly "on" all the time, but I don't see MTV giving over an hour of airtime to such a show unless they were really sure the people involved could drive the show, particularly given the kind of criticism they'd get for doing it. They're already being hammered for Skins (I haven't seen it, so I have no opinion about it, but I've heard about the uproar surrounding it).

Also, unless the girls moved, they'd be taping in South Dakota year round. I'm not sure MTV would want to do that.

FORT Regular

I saw on Chelsea's twitter last week that Meghan moved out for two reasons. One, she didn't pay her share of expenses and two, she didn't get along with Adam. No mention of Meghan's pregnancy.

This is just sad and wrong. The girl has witnessed what her friend went through and then she just goes and does it too. That is disturbing. I think it must have been on purpose. I wish they both would go away.

no she doesn't, she seems like a spoiled brat to me. and am i correct in understanding that the dad pays the ENTIRE rent, the roommate pays nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by straycat80;4164627;
    Chelsea doesn't seem to smart. Her father is paying for her rent and bills.

i totally agree w you . . . . esp abt the parents seeming to have higher expectations for her than for their own son . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4165085;
    It's hard not to feel for Kailyn, because she really doesn't seem to have anyone to turn to, and she does appear to be trying. She's working part time, she's registering for community college, and her child seems well cared for and happy. While starting a relationship with Jordan (especially without informing Joe or his family) may have been a rash move on her part, I think she was just desperate for someone to be on her side that she was quick to reach out when Jordan offered some interest (and to be fair, Jordan hasn't seemed like a bad guy, so it's not like she was off with some drug addicted slacker). Joe's parents may tolerate her and help her out because of the baby, but they seem to have much higher expectations of her than they do of their own son. We hardly ever see Joe with the baby, he doesn't appear to be working or going to school, and somehow, I think if he wanted to date, even with Kailyn in the house, they wouldn't be upset about that. I do understand that it's their house and they can make up whatever rules they want for her, since they're allowing her to live there for free, but I really hope that sometime soon she can manage to find her own living arrangements that aren't so tense for everyone involved, including the baby.

Over the weekend I saw a preview for this week's show, focusing on the love lives of our new Teen Moms.

Leah is shown with her mom, who thinks she and Corey are moving back in together too soon. Leah responds with how things are a little different when you already have two kids.

Chelsea is shown talking to her dad about Adam moving in, and her Dad doesn't seem to think it's the greatest idea (but, at least he does know about it!)

Farrah's mom is asking her about hickeys or something.

Honestly I forget what Kailyn's bit was about.

But what got me was the narrator's line at the end of the spot was "sometimes parents just don't understand."

I thought, wait, what? It totally rubbed me the wrong way. It felt like a defense of the girls' childish decisions, while writing off their parents' hesitations as somehow invalid.
    _(Moo!)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MamaAmyG;4172406;
    Over the weekend I saw a preview for this week's show, focusing on the love lives of our new Teen Moms.

Leah is shown with her mom, who thinks she and Corey are moving back in together too soon. Leah responds with how things are a little different when you already have two kids.

Chelsea is shown talking to her dad about Adam moving in, and her Dad doesn't seem to think it's the greatest idea (but, at least he does know about it!)

Farrah's mom is asking her about hickeys or something.

Honestly I forget what Kailyn's bit was about.

But what got me was the narrator's line at the end of the spot was "sometimes parents just don't understand."

I thought, wait, what? It totally rubbed me the wrong way. It felt like a defense of the girls' childish decisions, while writing off their parents' hesitations as somehow invalid.

I had the same reaction. Sometimes parents don't understand--but sometimes kids don't either. For instance, Chelsea's father was being completely calm and reasonable as he voiced his concerns, which were legitimate. Beyond that, he's paying for all of Chelsea's living expenses, so if Adam were to move in, he would, I assume, be paying for his room, board, and utilities too. He surely has the right to object to paying the living expenses for someone else he has every right to doubt--Adam did, after all, sign away his legal rights to Aubrey after calling her "that mistake" and calling Chelsea a "fat, stretch-mark bitch" in a text that upset Chelsea so that she begged her father to come home so she wouldn't have to be alone. I think that would be very hard for any concerned father to forget.

I'd also like to think that some of the younger people watching the show are bright enough to realize that someone like Chelsea's dad has a point. Heck, Meghan, Chelsea's roommate, didn't seem overwhelmingly convinced about Adam's sudden turn around either, and she's a contemporary of Chelsea's. Come to think of it, the friends of the teen moms often seem more doubtful about reconciliations with baby daddies than do the teen moms.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4172351;
    This is just sad and wrong. The girl has witnessed what her friend went through and then she just goes and does it too. That is disturbing. I think it must have been on purpose. I wish they both would go away.
    I think the problem is that while some of what Chelsea's gone through has been bad--the way Adam treated her in Sixteen and Pregnant, for instance--Meghan has also seen her treated to an all-expenses paid home with the only stipulation being that she finish high school. Though I don't think they've mentioned it, I assume Chelsea's dad is intending to pay for her cosmetology school expenses too, provided she ever finishes high school.

I'm not saying that Chelsea's had it easy, but how many eighteen year olds do you know who aren't working some kind of job for at least their spending money, taking out college loans, living in dorm rooms or much smaller quarters than Chelsea etc.? Plus, assuming MTV is still paying the girls a salary, she's already earning much, much more than most teenagers without a high school degree.

If Meghan is short-sighted enough and thoroughly charmed by the idea of celebrity, she might be dumb enough to think that MTV would indeed think of them as show material.

But, to be fair, I suppose it's also possible that she was using birth control and the pregnancy was an accident, and her hope that she could be on a show with Chelsea is just desperation on her part. An awful lot of young people (and older people too) are capable of immense amounts of magical thinking when they feel backed into a corner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast