JMO after he current episode regarding Kailyn:
1. Joe's parents didn't have to take her in. They should be applauded for being so willing to help out. if not for them Kailyn would be living where? Certainly she doesn't have the ability to support herself and a child.
2. Once Kailyn and Jo called it quits Jo's Mother told her she could say as long as she didn't start dating other boys or bringing them around. I find this understandable, as it would be weird, uncomfortable and disrespectful toward Jo's parents. Kailyn agreed and promised to follow this one rule even though she'd been dating behind Jo's back for several weeks when the rule was made. She lied to Jo's mother. Straight out. Not good. Not responsible. Knowingly taking advantage of a situation by lying.
3. Had Kailyn done the proper research in timely manner so that she would qualify for pell grants, scholarships and college financial aid for single mothers (instead of waiting until a week before the start of class to find out how much she would have to pay) she wouldn't have had to ask Jo for six hundred dollars. Therefore, she wouldn't be in debt to him or beholden to anyone. Now, what if Jo, like Kailyn's mother had said no to the loan? Where would Kailyn be? Not in school.
4. When Kailyn is able to live on her own, under her own roof, without having to crash at different people's homes then she can date all she wants. But, she made promises to those willing to help her and she broke those promises.
5. Her choice to see a boy at the risk of losing a roof over her head shows she cares more about having a boyfriend than she does about making sure her child has a roof over his head.
6. Life is tough and we can't always have our cake and eat it too, especially when our situation is in flux and so uncertain. Especially when you have a child depending on you for everything.
7. No one is saying single mothers shouldn't date, but if they are teenagers who don't have any solid living situation they must put off the whole boyfriend thing for awhile so they can figure out the most important thing: getting their lives and the life of their child in order so that they are primarily relying upon themselves for the basic necessities of life.
8. Kailyn needs to sit down and research extensively how to create two plans, one short term and one long term, which addresses how she can realistically attain goals that allow her and Issac to live as independently as possible so that she isn't relying on everyone else. Concrete plans with concrete results. That means laying off boys for awhile and dedicating herself fully to improving herself and her lot in life. Because right now, there isn't any stability or much thinking beyond the moment.