+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223
Results 221 to 229 of 229
Like Tree623Likes

Thread: 12/20 Survivor 35 Heroes vs Healers vs Hustlers Finale/Reunion *West Coast Spoilers*

  1. #221
    O.Snap! JosephD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,844

    Re: 12/20 Survivor 35 Heroes vs Healers vs Hustlers Finale/Reunion *West Coast Spoile

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    It's been 12 years he has been suffering from PTSD ... ride the wave of sympathy.
    I've never been in the military let alone an actual war so I don't have any firsthand knowledge of what Ben may have experienced, but I have been on the receiving end of a life-altering experience whose wounds go much deeper than the scar on my abdomen.

    February will mark the 10th anniversary since my ex held me hostage and later stabbed me and left me for dead in a snow bank. If it wasn't for the woman taking her garbage out late at night, I would have frozen to death.

    Please don't minimize PTSD by saying that Ben was playing up to the jury for sympathy. PTSD isn't something you 'get over' no more than someone 'gets over' being sexually abused as a child. It stays with you for the rest of your life. You learn how to manage it. You have good days. You have bad days. But it's always there.

    Sorry for getting off topic.
    Punkin, NCLurker, Sk8Leigh and 7 others like this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

  2. #222
    Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    6,569

    Re: 12/20 Survivor 35 Heroes vs Healers vs Hustlers Finale/Reunion *West Coast Spoile

    Quote Originally Posted by JosephD View Post
    PTSD isn't something you 'get over' no more than someone 'gets over' being sexually abused as a child. It stays with you for the rest of your life. You learn how to manage it. You have good days. You have bad days. But it's always there.
    PTSD here as well. I think of PTSD like diabetes . . . if you keep on top of it, you can manage it fairly well. But sometimes you encounter something you don't expect, and it triggers reactions. Kind of like a diabetic ordering a sugar-free dessert, but what they get is loaded with sugar. They didn't expect it, but they're going to have deal with it.
    Punkin, dagwood, Moontat and 1 others like this.
    I'm Paula.

  3. #223
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    21,170

    Re: 12/20 Survivor 35 Heroes vs Healers vs Hustlers Finale/Reunion *West Coast Spoile

    Quote Originally Posted by JosephD View Post
    I've never been in the military let alone an actual war so I don't have any firsthand knowledge of what Ben may have experienced, but I have been on the receiving end of a life-altering experience whose wounds go much deeper than the scar on my abdomen.

    February will mark the 10th anniversary since my ex held me hostage and later stabbed me and left me for dead in a snow bank. If it wasn't for the woman taking her garbage out late at night, I would have frozen to death.

    Please don't minimize PTSD by saying that Ben was playing up to the jury for sympathy. PTSD isn't something you 'get over' no more than someone 'gets over' being sexually abused as a child. It stays with you for the rest of your life. You learn how to manage it. You have good days. You have bad days. But it's always there.

    Sorry for getting off topic.
    JosephD, thank you for sharing your story I think it was very brave of you.

    I will say part of my harshness is because I really didn't like this season and didn't particularly care for any of the players and for any of their game play. That being said I am a child of a family who was escorted off their property and transported with all their neighbors, friends and family to labor camps to be worked until they died or survived, no one cared. I grew up in a culture were everyone had gone through this and survived, got their educations, got jobs, got married, had families, and had happy, productive lives. So no I don't have a lot of sympathy for Ben. While I do think it is positive that in the American culture there is now an acknowledgement that bad things do happen to folks, at times I think folks like to wallow in their victim hood and get praise for it and attack people with it and become activists for it. I give Ben's wife mucho kudos for helping him recover, Ben not so much. I may appear unsympathetic but he sure put his PTSD away when he went on total kill mode to find idols and to crush his opposition.

    I was shocked to find out that Ben's PTSD was for service from 12 years ago not recently as was implied during the entire season. We have a Wounded Warrior program at work and I seat next to and work with a team who had Wounded Warriors as part of the staff. I know these folks stories so no I am not unsympathetic to folks working through multiple issues, just Ben.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 12-26-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    No goat killers on my island.

  4. #224
    FORT Hikikomori HaikenEdge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    922

    Re: 12/20 Survivor 35 Heroes vs Healers vs Hustlers Finale/Reunion *West Coast Spoile

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I hate that Desi sorta blamed the finalists for not preventing Ben from looking for an idol.

    Also note to Desi it is not that easy to find an idol and not that easy to watch someone who is looking.
    They might not have been able to prevented him from looking for an idol, but they sure as hell could have stuck several people on him, rather than making no effort and laying around in camp resting, and know he found an idol as soon as he found one. Not knowing he had an idol ended up costing them several times as it allowed him to blindside them.

    Basically, it seems like your stance is, it's not easy to stop somebody for looking for idols, but if you already know the guy is going to be looking for the bloody things and you have a numerical advantage over him, there's no reason to at least try to deter him from finding the idol or at least minimizing the damage he did by at least making the effort to try to follow him. The problem isn't that it's something it's hard to do; the problem is they made no effort at all.
    AZChristian and Photobabe like this.
    Revenge is ice cream.

  5. #225
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    21,170

    Re: 12/20 Survivor 35 Heroes vs Healers vs Hustlers Finale/Reunion *West Coast Spoile

    Quote Originally Posted by HaikenEdge View Post
    They might not have been able to prevented him from looking for an idol, but they sure as hell could have stuck several people on him, rather than making no effort and laying around in camp resting, and know he found an idol as soon as he found one. Not knowing he had an idol ended up costing them several times as it allowed him to blindside them.

    Basically, it seems like your stance is, it's not easy to stop somebody for looking for idols, but if you already know the guy is going to be looking for the bloody things and you have a numerical advantage over him, there's no reason to at least try to deter him from finding the idol or at least minimizing the damage he did by at least making the effort to try to follow him. The problem isn't that it's something it's hard to do; the problem is they made no effort at all.
    I didn't say it is not easy to stop someone looking for idols. I do think it is difficult to stop one person looking for an idol if that person is determined to look for that idol 24/7 like Ben was.

    I understood from what Desi said at the final Tribal Council and from the final vote that finding the idols was highly valued.

    I know from reading many articles from the production staff and Jeff P that it is very hard to find an idol and it takes many, many hours of effort.

    I know from reading many articles from the production staff and Jeff P that by this point in time because of the hardship of little food, little water, being in the elements, that the mental and physical energy of all the contestants if very low and to follow/tail someone 24/7 is again very difficult. We didn't see the rest of the tribe discuss following Ben. Maybe they did and maybe they didn't. There is a certain point you as an individual have to decide if it is worth your time and energy to dedicate to this process. That is where this group plan will fall apart, this is a game and not life and death so where is the motivation?

    What I don't know and what the viewing audience does not know is did the remaining tribe talk about following Ben, did the even try at any time? This is a question that I wish Jeff or any of the tribe had answered it would have been nice to know.

    What I didn't particularly like is that Desi made it sound that following Ben would have been easy and that is what she based her vote on and that she blamed the tribe for failing to do so and that resulted in Ben successfully finding idols.

    I do think if the tribe or members of a tribe want to disrupt a search for an idol they can do so very easily and that has been demonstrated before. Can the tribe disrupt a search 24/7? Again depends on numbers and motivation.
    No goat killers on my island.

  6. #226
    FORT Hikikomori HaikenEdge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    922

    Re: 12/20 Survivor 35 Heroes vs Healers vs Hustlers Finale/Reunion *West Coast Spoile

    So, in the end, you could say Ben wanted it more than the others. He knew he was on the bottom and the only way he could get through to the next round was with an immunity idol, so he spent his energy looking for an idol when he wasn't trying to win one during the individual immunity challenges. The others felt secure in their alliance and didn't feel the need to follow or disrupt him.

    It seems to me Desi could have based her vote on Ben wanting it more and thereby putting in the effort to go look for idols, while the others didn't want it as much as him, so he outworked them all, in essence outplaying them through sheer will.

    Tyson said on the season he won Survivor, if you want to win Survivor, you have to play Survivor every second of every day you're on Survivor. Ben did that and found the idols he needed to get through. The others took their feet off the gas, and got outworked; they knew Ben's only way to the next round was by getting an immunity idol by hook or crook, so why exactly did they let the foot off the gas when they all said at one point or another they thought they couldn't win if they got to the end with him?
    dagwood, Sk8Leigh, Monte71 and 3 others like this.
    Revenge is ice cream.

  7. #227
    Red Sox Nation Brooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    7,223

    Re: 12/20 Survivor 35 Heroes vs Healers vs Hustlers Finale/Reunion *West Coast Spoile

    Dr. Mike said at one point that he knew Ben hadn't found an idol because he, Dr. Mike, had looked really hard and hadn't found one. (I think Ben said it was because he had already found it, LOL.) So part of it was just hubris.
    Sk8Leigh and Photobabe like this.

  8. #228
    c'mon inner peace... Phart Blossom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Where the heck am I?
    Posts
    36

    Re: 12/20 Survivor 35 Heroes vs Healers vs Hustlers Finale/Reunion *West Coast Spoile

    I'm a Vet, never went to war. But I have a lot of friends who are Vietnam Vets and they still experience bouts of PTSD after some 40 years. Unless you have been through something as dramatic as war, watching friends die, fear of being killed and killing other humans....you really have no idea.

    Agent Orange and PTSD...the gifts that keep on giving.
    Punkin, waywyrd, Sk8Leigh and 9 others like this.
    Nobody is perfect...everyone's ass has a crack in it.

  9. #229
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    245

    Re: 12/20 Survivor 35 Heroes vs Healers vs Hustlers Finale/Reunion *West Coast Spoile

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Luna View Post
    I agree with what redsox girl posted.

    I'm probably wrong, but I think that, the advantage was created when they noticed that Ben had no chance of winning.... for sure he wasn't going to win the last immunity challenge and so he would be the next person to be voted out. So this advantage was thought up to keep him in the game, they knew Ben could make fire, thus putting him in the final three. I think the producers did this so that Ben would win.
    In the last immunity challenge Ben's upside down u, kept him from winning. Chrissy won with an S which was also turned around, but not noticeable.
    Punkin likes this.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.