+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: General Survivor question for all

FORT Newbie

General Survivor question for all

What aspects (challenges, gameplay, strategy etc) of old seasons of Survivor that we have not seen in quite some time do you miss and you wish would make a return?
    kev89 likes this.

Re: General Survivor question for all

-Captain seasons. Excluding Survivor:Redemption Island, I really enjoyed them, it's interesting to see the wide range of reactions that the other players have.

-Seasons based on location - what happened to the season name being a place rather than a theme?

-Twists from Cambodia, such as the challenge where they could get a shelter if 10 people sat out, or the balancing one where Jeff spontaneously gave them the chance to get an advantage.

-The "touchy subjects" challenge where they fill out a survey full of blunt questions (eg "who is the least deserving?"), then have to guess the results.
    kev89 likes this.
    Pools I'm running: Survivor: (Due Oct 4)
    Pool History:
    Masterchef 5: Cutting Board Game Hunters: Second to Last
    Survivor: San Juan Del Sur - 200k DNA - Pool Winner; Kaoh Rong - Fourth Place
    Hell's Kitchen 7 - The Boulevard of Frozen Dreams - Wooden Pitchfork

FORT Newbie

Yeah, I miss the "perch" challenges and the obstacle course where they are tethered together. I don't recall seeing a disgusting food challenge in some time either

They sort of fixed the final 3 tribal council with game changers. Hope they keep doing that.

THere is more, I just have to think about it some more.

I miss more of the survivalist aspect...so take away hidden immunity idols.

The challenge where team members from the winning tribe can invade the other and steal an item (as well as get intel).

The ones were a select team member must make a decision for the team.
    kev89 likes this.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by tetrimble View Post
    I miss more of the survivalist aspect...so take away hidden immunity idols.

The challenge where team members from the winning tribe can invade the other and steal an item (as well as get intel).

The ones were a select team member must make a decision for the team.
    I agree with all of that. The craziness of hidden immunity idols went to a new level with game changers. Just crazy. End result was someone forced to leave the game without anyone voting for them to leave. smh. At most, have one idol after the merge. Once played, no more idols.
    kev89 likes this.

FORT Newbie

off topic: AS I rewatch all the seasons, I'm on season 3 (Africa) and forgot how bad that season was. As they introduce the 16 contestants in episode 1, I realized I only remember 3 of these contestants (Ethan, Frand and Tom). Most underwhelming group of contestants and very underwhelming season as a whole.

I agree with pretty much everything mentioned.

I also miss when there was more of an emphasis on location. Not only were the seasons named after the location, but it was also part of the broader theme of the season as well, including the challenges, rewards, and even camp life. They cut back on that when they started doing back to back seasons in the same location, probably to save money. Sometimes they'll even go back to that same location to do another two seasons, like they're doing right now with Fiji

I also find the craziness with all the idols to be too much, though I actually did enjoy the payoff with all the twists in Game Changers. Still, I think they should just have one hidden idol per tribe, and then maybe one more when they merge. And when an idol's played, that's it, don't replace it. I'd really like to see a season though where there is no idol, but Jeff doesn't tell them, so we end up with go-getters searching for idols and going crazy with paranoia when they suspect someone else must have found it Another good idea might be to replace the idols with one of those advantages that have come up in the past few seasons.

I'd also like to see more anticipation to the merge, like remember the first few seasons where each tribe would send an ambassador to meet with the other tribe's ambassador, where they would decide on things like which camp the merged tribe would live at. Now one tribe just goes to the other camp, and we don't see how that decision is made or how they even come up with the new tribe's name.
    Miss_Griss, ilja and TheWinman like this.

FORT Newbie

Kev, I love the idea of no idols for one season without Jeff mentioning or even hinting that there are none. ;

Watching older seasons and I don't recall seeing this challenge in quite some time. I miss the challenge later in the season that incorporates parts of many of the previous challenges.
    Miss_Griss and kev89 like this.

I wish they'd pick a different spot. I'm getting tired of Fiji.

I'd like to see the show scale back to the more primitive existance of early Survivor. They give too many food rewards and spa/luxary getaways.

There are too many immunity or similar idols. I don't mind one or two, but things have been getting a little ridiculous lately.

Quit bringing people back for a third, fourth, fifth time.... I like to see new people.

This'll never happen -- BUT -- I wish Jeff wouldn't talk so much during the challenges. Yes, I know somebody has to say something or else the viewers will be staring at a bunch of castaways quietly straddling a pole, but does he have to talk SO much? It's annoying, and yes, I know he does it to get inside the head of those competing. If it's sweltering heat and they're straddling a pole, he's making it worse by saying, "It's a hundred degrees out here folks. The air is thick and stifling. Sweat's pouring down your face. The palms of your hands are getting slippery as you struggle to hang onto the pole. Thirst is unbearable. Every muscle in your body is cramping from the heat and dehydration....." Oh, Jeff. Scale back a little. That's all's I'm saying.
    kev89 and MsFaninNJ like this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

FORT Newbie

I don't mind seeing past contestants, but space it out much longer. have 4-5 seasons of new contestants, then have one season of returnees. Make it a treat, not the usual. Survivor should be experience for contestants, not a career.
    kev89, Miss Scarlet, ilja and 1 others like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast