Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Survivor 28 Spec & *SPOILERS* thread

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Re: Survivor 28 Spec & *SPOILERS* thread

He's most likely a Brain.

FORT Fan

I'm glad this will be a season of new players, as I get tired of the recycling, but I'm not sure about the Brain-Brawn-Beauty aspect. It's stereotyping by placing someone in a certain category, obviously, but then forces them to compete based on those stereotypes. If the Brawn team fails a puzzle challenge, does it HAVE to mean that they are stupid and muscle-bound? If the Beauty team fails at a physical a challenge, does it HAVE to mean they are pretty but rubbish at anything physical? I don't like being put in a position of rooting for a team based on a stereotype. Stupid.
    Punkin and Florimel like this.

I don't like this way of dividing people either. It reinforces stereotypes and puts people into a single category, when in reality, people are all different combinations of the 3 B's rather than just one (and beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyway). I feel like the inclusion of the beauty team especially may have further encouraged the casting of recruited "mactors". I don't see why they couldn't just divide the teams up randomly like usual instead of this (in my opinion) rather lame gimmick for the season. That being said I am happy that it's all new people.
    Florimel likes this.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

Next spoiled Brain is 39 yr old Kassandra McQuillen, an attorney. One female Brain, two male Brawns, and one female Brawn still missing.

When is the cast reveeeaaaal. I want iiiit.

And apparently TAR starts a few days before Survivor. Come on CBS I want to see them.
    Punkin and Photobabe like this.

Really don't like the stereo type thing as well. Like they did in Cook Islands some years back!
    Autumn Winds!

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Wasn't season 11 (?) of Big Brother set up in this manner, with the groups divided by types only phrased as High School cliques?
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Yes.

Cook Islands had tribes split up by race of all things. Blacks, whites, Asians, and Hispanics.

Is splitting by gender or age also stereotypical?

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Of course it is. Anytime they sort by a category, it is creating or sustaining a stereotype.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Actually, some of these have been interesting shows, if only because they either prevent the usual, let's dump the old ladies first voting, or because they've widened the appeal of the show, and for a while at least gotten a more diverse group to apply to be on the show. In some sense it countered the stereotypes that were already being operated on...so we got to see black people who could swim, Asian Americans who were athletic, older women who knew everything about the surviving aspect of Survivor, etc., rather than having them voted off early on. I know, I was a bit horrified at first, but it was good in terms of educating America, because with so many people in whatever category it was, you got to see the diversity within each group, instead of just having one representative of the group.
    chompstick likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast