+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Like Tree547Likes

Thread: 5/8 Survivor 26 Caramoan Show Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 5/8 Survivor 26 Caramoan Show Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    I think in future seasons we will see contestants not trying to win reward, especially during the last few days.
    I think they just can`t help themselves. They are hungry and tired and see the end just around the corner. There will always be someone who despite their best intentions, even if they are a student of the game...just gets carried away and will want the win...or there will just be someone stupid who doesn`t know what they are getting themselves in for!
    A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. Eleanor Roosevelt

FORT Fan

I think the producers have to be careful about how far they push this kind of cruel twist. I've always thought Survivor is fascinating because of its fairly pure premise: put a disparate group of people on an island without any comforts, make them vote each other off, and see what transpires. When they start adding elements like Exile Island and the immunity idols, they just distract from the premise.

By this late in the game, the contestants are barely thinking straight. Now they have to consider whether it's smarter to NOT win rewards? They have to weigh the strength they would get from the food and the pleasure of visiting with a loved one against how they will be perceived if they win? And if given the choice to keep their prize or give the rest of the tribe some bigger benefit, now they have to weigh how that will be perceived in the long run? It's too much! Just let them compete for a prize and reap the reward, for heaven's sake.
    Punkin and Duckyface like this.

I did not see the very first Season of Survivor ... but have read that Richard Hatch was the only one who realized it was mostly a social survival game ... rather than a physical one. Did he ever write anything about it?
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fan

I am not positive that Dawn really would have left the game back when she lost her partial plate. I think it was a lot of hysterics. She is on my last nerve.
    Punkin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by xcptnl View Post
    I am not positive that Dawn really would have left the game back when she lost her partial plate. I think it was a lot of hysterics. She is on my last nerve.
    Well think about being in any social situation, or being away from home, out of the country (and your dentist) and losing your teeth. I think she was probably considering it. Being without those teeth in her mouth, I think would have caused the inside of her mouth and gums to change so she would have needed something, even if it was only temporary. So ... it was a very big deal.
    NCLurker likes this.

Mohandas Gandhi

I was surprised that Brenda gave away the reward that she and her dad worked so hard for to win and she even said that it was a no-brainer to give it away. I thought that was a bad decision. She had no idea that people could see through the generosity as a suck up to get jury votes (although she did say before she left that she was being true to her heart...referring to the gesture, not the gameplay and that's why she said it hurt and was crying). If I were her I would just tell the others that my dad and I worked for the reward fair and square and I wouldn't want to screw up my friend Dawn because I selected her to share the reward with me. That's it. It was that easy. I really thought she had the gumption to say that. I'm sure the others would have understood. As for the IC, did she really throw the challenge so Dawn can win and boost her spirits? And as for Dawn, didn't she tell Brenda a few episodes ago went she went hysterical that they are BFF after Brenda dove in the water and found her fake teeth?

Survivor: Caramoan - It Was Dawn Screaming - YouTube
    Survivor: Caramoan - Game Makes You Insecure - YouTube

Survivor Caramoan: Life At Ponderosa - Brenda - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    I was surprised that Brenda gave away the reward that she and her dad worked so hard for to win and she even said that it was a no-brainer to give it away. I thought that was a bad decision. She had no idea that people could see through the generosity as a suck up to get jury votes (although she did say before she left that she was being true to her heart...referring to the gesture, not the gameplay and that's why she said it hurt and was crying). If I were her I would just tell the others that my dad and I worked for the reward fair and square and I wouldn't want to screw up my friend Dawn because I selected her to share the reward with me. That's it. It was that easy. I really thought she had the gumption to say that. I'm sure the others would have understood. As for the IC, did she really throw the challenge so Dawn can win and boost her spirits? And as for Dawn, didn't she tell Brenda a few episodes ago went she went hysterical that they are BFF after Brenda dove in the water and found her fake teeth?

Survivor: Caramoan - It Was Dawn Screaming - YouTube
    Survivor: Caramoan - Game Makes You Insecure - YouTube

Survivor Caramoan: Life At Ponderosa - Brenda - YouTube
    This isn't personal ... it's business. Letting personal or "friendly" issues weigh into your voting decisions on Survivor is a huge mistake!
    Not agreeing to the Brenda boot would have been a red flag for Cochran and Sherri .... and they may have chosen another option for their alliance.
    jucamer likes this.

Mohandas Gandhi

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by stephy501808 View Post
    If I'm Phillip and I'd be pissed two times in a row.Things are not going as he envisioned.And this kind of thing is actually very common in a lot of companies.People are not trying to let the best worker stay.they're trying everything to survive on their owen in a company situation like this.But this kind of company does not seems being far from bankruptcy as far as I concern.
    But the thing is, it isn't a company, where it's to everyone's benefit that the company not go under. Before the merge, yes, to some extent, but post merge the goal is to get rid of the strongest/most popular players as fast as possible, not keep them. There are no more group benefits. It's not a "society", it's an elimination game.

Brooks, I agree, it was surprising that the last two players for individual immunity were the two who did NOT get to eat. Weird. Maybe their alimentary canals were lighter?

Re the "torture" of having the BBQ within visual and olfactory distance... I did notice that Eric was trying to be nice--when he was waving at them from the platform he was making a big heart shape with his arms, like "I love you, thanks!".
    Photobabe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    This isn't personal ... it's business. Letting personal or "friendly" issues weigh into your voting decisions on Survivor is a huge mistake!
    Not agreeing to the Brenda boot would have been a red flag for Cochran and Sherri .... and they may have chosen another option for their alliance.
    I think it gets hugely personal for a lot of the people. I think it would be hard for it not to, especially when it gets down to the final few left. We've certainly seen enough people get angry with each other over something that they perceive was done personally to them.

I don't know if Dawn would have left the island if Brenda hadn't found her teeth or not. From what Dawn was saying it wasn't a functional piece, but cosmetic. She didn't want to be on tv with her mouth looking a certain way. It had nothing to do with how she could eat or anything along those lines. I am sure she would have been just fine without them for the remaining week or so they had left on the island by then. I wish Brenda hadn't of found them lol.

We've also seen that some of the contestants find that the million dollars isn't worth having over some of the friendships that get cultivated on the island. It is a pretty intense experience to share with someone. I can think of Tina/Colby as one example. Elisabeth and Roger are another, and of course Rob and Amber.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    I did not see the very first Season of Survivor ... but have read that Richard Hatch was the only one who realized it was mostly a social survival game ... rather than a physical one. Did he ever write anything about it?
    Not that I know of, but he's certainly talked about it. It was amazing to me that he realized that so fast, even right down to setting up the ending so that in the challenge of the F3 to be the F2 he dropped out early so that the woman would be the "bad guy" for not taking "unbeatable" Rudy to the F2, not him. That way he kept loyal Rudy's vote and no one thought he was an unethical backstabber. These were the days when people got rewarded at the final TC for being likeable and ethical and not overtly for having played the game well. Richard was not likeable, but he played the game well by making her even more unlikeable for having gotten rid of Rudy---so in fact he was rewarded for playing the game well, but the voters didn't seem to realize it. And note that even in that first game both people were trying to get to F2 with someone less likeable than they were. But very quickly people realized that that was the way to go--by the Tina/Colby season he was criticized as a player, if not as a person, for taking Tina to F2
    At that point, Season One, I, as a watcher, still thought it was about physical survival!

+ Reply to Thread