+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: 4/10 Survivor 26 Caramoan Show Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 4/10 Survivor 26 Caramoan Show Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit View Post
    I agree mesachick. Not to excuse that type of behavior, but I think it's more common among men than some women think it is. I used to work as a welder and I worked with all men. They got used to me being around and I was treated (pretty much) like one of the guys. Some of the things they talked and joked about are things that I know they wouldn't have said in mixed company. That's one of the things about Survivor that always kind of amused me. Some of the players seem to forget that there is a camera catching every thing they say and do. And even in the confessionals. They are filmed privately, away from the other players, but they should know that it will be aired on television and the person they happen to be bashing or ridiculing will eventually see what they said.
    It totally is. Eh, like I said before, I just chalk it up to guys just being guys around each other. I don't take what he's saying seriously. He probably will watch this and think oh crap lol. But I guarantee that this kind of talk goes on between guys all the time. And it goes both ways too. Girls can, and do, objectify men as well sometimes. Advertisers certainly use it to sell products as well. I just don't get the big deal. Reynolds isn't important enough to make a comment like that matter. Now if you caught Obama saying something like that, I can see it being an issue lol.
    Lil Bit likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface View Post
    He said to Malcolm, Eddie and Cochran, none of whom gave him any flack for it btw, something along the lines of "now that the last F*@!able woman (Hope) had left the island" they should stick together as men.
    I never heard that .Perhaps I was paying attention to Cochran. Funny how none of then said a word against it though. I think they were being boys, or bros
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I know there are men who talk like this. Plenty of them. That's really not the point. It's the kind of men who talk like this and the kind of man Reynold obviously is. Shallow, crass, misogynistic, egotistical...

Some people seem to say boys will be boys, but I don't except that here. There are many men, the real men, who would never say something like that. I wouldn't want my sons to be the kind who would or my daughter to marry the kind who would. Yes society is becoming more crass and perhaps even more misogynistic. There are certainly a lot of girls who think their main value is in their looks and if some guy wants to do them. You can either dismiss it and let it continue to get worse, or you can fight it and let men know this behavior is unacceptable, and women know their value is about much more than whether some guy thinks they're worth sticking it in.

I choose to fight. It may not do any good, but at least I know I didn't just accept women being valued in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    It totally is. Eh, like I said before, I just chalk it up to guys just being guys around each other. I don't take what he's saying seriously. He probably will watch this and think oh crap lol. But I guarantee that this kind of talk goes on between guys all the time. And it goes both ways too. Girls can, and do, objectify men as well sometimes. Advertisers certainly use it to sell products as well. I just don't get the big deal. Reynolds isn't important enough to make a comment like that matter. Now if you caught Obama saying something like that, I can see it being an issue lol.
    I dont see this as HUGE deal.I have heard worse *cough* Colton *cough* jmho of course
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I do not think Malcolm's group is talking with one another. Reynolds going to Cochran was not a smart move and Malcolm would not have done that. He knows Cochran is in with Phillip. I do not think we are seeing a different Malcolm from last season, but the real one. He is not the brightest crayon.
    There's no place like home!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re the other guys not objecting to Malcolm's comment...they didn't say anything for much the same reason generally guys don't object to "locker room talk"---they want to fit in. In this case though, instead of just generally wanting to belong, there's a fat paycheck on the line. If people are including you in their group you never say anything to indicate you don't belong---if you do you will be excluded/targeted/lose any value you have as a spy. My guess is, in the real world Cochran might be one of those who would say something--judging by his 'masculine tomfoolery" comment--but here, he's playing Survivor. At least you didn't hear all of them chiming in with their own denigrating comments.

And I agree with those who feel sexism is just as bad as racism....the problem is, while today we've tuned our ears to recognize racism, in part because in "polite society" outspoken racism is relatively rare, we are so used to sexism, hear SO many sexist comments, it doesn't slap us in the face the way Colton's racist comments did.
    spockwhat likes this.

I guess it was all part of the masculine tomfoolery? Cochran didn't engage ... but I didn't hear him actually disengage

Also, what I find amusing, is that so many people talk trash about Phillip and yet we have never heard him talk that way.

And can you imagine Phillip saying everybody wanted to be him? We'd all be And at the TC ... everyone was amusedly rolling their eyes re Phillip and
    . ..Yet he never said anything that debased the opposite sex ... at least not that I recall.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I don't think anyone wants to date Reynolds lol, but I still don't see his comments anymore harmful than the usual guy talk that I've heard on occasion. I don't believe Reynolds is doing anything more than trying to create a boys club. Hell, we've heard plenty of women in other seasons talk about "using the guys for their muscle". We've seen them fawn over 6 packs, etc... of course the girls are thinking about how good they might be in bed. Girls objectify guys, guys objectify girls. What's the big deal? Like I said earlier, a lot of advertising plays on that. You really want to take this up as an issue, then I suggest taking that energy and focusing on the advertisers that make money on just that ideal. Pepsi, Go Daddy, Coke, oh the list would go on forever lol.
    Hyper and ilja like this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Some call Reynold's words just "guy talk, locker room" talk and I know that happens. But we had 4 men there and only 1 spoke that way so the guys weren't doing Guy Talk. One person was doing Guy Talk.
    Given other remarks by him, we can pretty much assume exactly who he is in some ways. And I think speaking badly of anyone is wrong...sexist, racist, etc.

On a lighter note, I had previously asked if Phillip's eye's were light blue or green. I noticed in this last episode, he was wearing glasses and his eyes were brown. So I'm assuming colored contacts. (I know it's petty but I used to wonder)

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I responded to mesachick's comment and Duckyface, but moved it to the Reynold thread.

+ Reply to Thread