Closed Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: 2/20 Survivor 26 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Re: 2/20 Survivor 26 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

And of course, those three would take up the majority of screentime per episode until they leave. Imagine if they were the next three out. The directors wouldn't know what to do.
    Photobabe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I don't know whether to hate the casting director or love the casting director. I mean they cast 3 crazy people, there is Little Hanz, Pink Panties and Shamar the Whale or maybe that should be Shamar the Hut (as in Jabba). What where they thinking?
    That we'd be talking about them
    Alexxxx likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Woah. It's only two episodes in, FannyMare and straycat80... and no Colton and Alisha in sight. It's not that bad!

You know, this is interesting to me. I think, as a society, we need to get past the "one person represents all" thing. I think most people understand that Shamar is not a representative of an entire group of servicemen. We are all individuals with different personalities, and just because one person "is" something, it doesn't mean the represent all of them.
    Should all black men also hang their heads low because of Shamar? Of course not.
    Should all good looking cool people be ashamed because Reynold and friends don't know how to count? Absolutely not.
    Should all Hantz's be ashamed? No. Well. Maybe.
    CIA agents hang their head low because of Phillip? Nope. I don't even know how I can follow that up.

My point is this, just because Marines do amazing things and generally work hard and all that... doesn't mean that they are, all of them, great people. If Survivor cast people who fit their roles all the time: Marine=Good guy, Firefighter=Good guy, Farmer=country bumpkin, Lawyer=sneaky, etc. it would be a lie.

Anyone who judges an entire group of people based on one person or think that one person 'represents' the group, is ignorant. It's time to get over it. And for those who are worried people will do that... who cares? Why let other people's ignorance bother you? If I felt every "Christian" who opened their dang mouth was a representative of Christianity, I would never tell anyone I was religious ever again.
    I understand your point and you have the right to it (we can thank our many soldiers who fought for this freedom), but my problem is that there are many ignorant preople out there who don't know any better and this awful speciman of a man/soldier is representing himself as a Marine on this show. If he can't live by the standards he was taught as a Marine, then don't tell people that is what you are. You are a disgrace, Shamar, and nobody can tell me any differently. Ask any Marine and they will tell you "Once a Marine, always a Marine"! They are very proud to be who they are.
    Uncle David likes this.
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, 7up Pinball Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

We'll have to agree to disagree then, because I feel it's just as bad to think all Marines (even the bad seeds) must be represented as good as it is to think that because one Marine is lazy... then they all are. Both are lies.

If someone says of Shamar, 'well I didn't know marines were such lazy big mouths', then it gives us the opportunity to remind that person that Shamar is one individual of many. And that every group, government, religion, sexual orientation, race, etc. has good people and bad. That's a great opportunity, and it's lost otherwise.

It's dangerous to want every serviceman you ever see on tv to be a great person, because anytime you hide the truth, ignorance will continue. And the only way to transform ignorance is with truth.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I don't think all Marines are lazy because of Shamar. However, I think he should set a better example as a Marine. Surely he couldn't have acted like that while he was in the military or he would have been kicked out or disciplined. Even if he hadn't been a Marine, I would have been repelled by his behavior (not working with his team, not doing anything to help around camp) but the fact that he has training which should make him better at doing those things is particularly galling.

It's like he's not only ostracizing himself from his tribe because he isn't thinking about the ramifications of his behavior and doesn't know any better, but he's actively CHOOSING to antagonize them. I would just expect more from someone who has been in military service.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, 7up Pinball Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I'll acquiesce, because I totally understand the level of frustration and anger people are feeling about Shamar. I've been frustrated and angry myself when some idiot 'christian' pastor preaches hate and vengence. It totally pisses me off, so I get it.

I won't say Shamar doesn't belong on the show, but I understand the frustration.

What people are forgetting is this is a "Reality TV Show" it does not represent anything or person. Most of the show is scripted and definitely edited.
    There's no place like home!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Well, if I was going on a reality show, I would want to be seen in a good light, not as the slug who lay around camp doing nothing while insisting that everyone do what I thought should be done. The producers could edit what I did all they want but I don't think it would show me as much different than I really am. The producers can't edit in what isn't there to begin with.

Anyway, I respect other people's difference of opinion. It doesn't change the way I see things.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Well, if I was going on a reality show, I would want to be seen in a good light, not as the slug who lay around camp doing nothing while insisting that everyone do what I thought should be done. The producers could edit what I did all they want but I don't think it would show me as much different than I really am. The producers can't edit in what isn't there to begin with.

Anyway, I respect other people's difference of opinion. It doesn't change the way I see things.
    The producers can't edit what isn't there - thats true. They can however chop it all up, and put it wherever they like .I see this more and more now than ever.At one time a show would have more flow to it, now they cut off mid sentence
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Brandon just scares me. He has an abusive personality... ready to attack one minute, contrite the next. He really needs some serious help (and growing up) and Survivor isn't the place to get it. Especially since the show thrives on stereotypes and oddities, and promise them "fame", not anything else.
    Meh, I think he's playing up to the cameras. In that sense, he's definitely taking after Uncle Russell. Everything he said, and the way he said it, rang false to my ears. (Oh, and that is the worst sleeve ever. Are those friggin' tiger stripes?)

Was Dawn this big of a crybaby in her other season? The husband & I thought so (and again, FF'd through her scenes).
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Closed Thread