+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122 LastLast
Like Tree316Likes

Thread: 12/5 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 12/5 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I was totally unaware of Malcom's admiration for OJ..........and he sounds far more immature than what he is by lumping all OJ did into an empty and dismissive phrase as "leagal problems."
    I wasn't a huge fan of Malcom's before learning this but now, not at all. But I have trouble hearing anyone admiring someone who's behaved horrendously evil since he overcame some hardships.

And let's not forget that OJ's legal problems just keep going on and on, even to the present day so we can't even say he learned any lessons from his "legal Problems."
    Malcom has a lot of growing up to do when he states such riculous things.........he just happens to be good at Survivor but some of that is the result of being in the right place at the right time with the right person.

Sorry for this but that really got me steamed up. Malcom has a long way to go before I'd admire that kind of thinking. I guess being a good strategist had nothing to do with intelligence.
    Florimel, Shoepie and redsox girl like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    Way to give God an out...

I have absolutely no problem with Malcolm whatsoever. I have no problem with the way he stated what he liked about OJ - although that would not have been an example that I would have chosen, but then again I was much older when the trials where going on, so I have a much different view of OJ. I didn't even know he had rickets lol. Anyway, Malcolm has so many wonderful qualities about him, for example the fact that he volunteered at a teaching program in the Marshall Islands for a year, teaching elementary school English to local children, that one view that he may hold doesn't mean that he isn't anything but a stand up guy. From what I've seen of him, that's what he is. I hope he walks away with the million, and if not, that he gets fan favorite. That's where my votes will go.
    Many young people volunteer to teach English in remote and not not so remote areas. It is a way to have an adventure and experience another culture. My cousin did this, 2 of my son's friends did this in Japan. It is not necessarily a noble gesture but more seizing an opportunity to do something fun and different. No criticism of Malcome intended, just putting this into perspective.
    redsox girl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Many young people volunteer to teach English in remote and not not so remote areas. It is a way to have an adventure and experience another culture. My cousin did this, 2 of my son's friends did this in Japan. It is not necessarily a noble gesture but more seizing an opportunity to do something fun and different. No criticism of Malcome intended, just putting this into perspective.
    No worries Shoepie. I still find it admirable though. None of my friends did anything like this (nor did I lol), and I don't know of anyone personally who has either. I find your cousin and the 2 friends of you son's admirable as well. Of all the opportunities to do something fun and different - this requires a selflessness and an overall wish to do something wonderful for children. Yes, I do find it a noble gesture. But we can all see things in a different perspective, no?
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Hmmm. While I abhor OJ Simpson, I think I get what Malcolm meant when he chose him to admire. He was pointing out a specific trait about OJ that he found admirable: despite struggling with rickets as a child, OJ, through hard work and determination, became hugely successful in a very physical sport. He said he was going to do it and he did. The person who made that claim was a child, and that child followed through on it by never giving up. Despite what that child became (and believe me, I think OJ is a complete and utter worthless human being) when he grew up, that particular accomplishment could be seen as admirable.

"Legal problems" - yeah, that's a pretty simplistic way to describe what happened and certainly doesn't do justice to the tragedy. Badly chosen phrase, indeed. But having watched him on the show, he doesn't strike me as someone who would callously disregard or make fun of something like that. Not like some of the people we've seen in past seasons. I'm thinking of Shannon and his homophobic rant from a few seasons ago, and Colton's bigoted treatment of Bill. If Malcolm were indeed someone who admired OJ for what he did to his wife Nicole, I truly believe some of that attitude would come through on this show. So far, it hasn't. I'll choose to see him as someone who appears to be a really great, genuine guy who chose his words poorly in that instance.
    NCLurker, Rattus, GabbyG and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Agreed. I know a number of people who have gone overseas as teachers, and while they are all decent people in their own right, each and every one of them went for their own benefit, not specifically for the benefit of others.
    Shoepie and redsox girl like this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Agreed. I know a number of people who have gone overseas as teachers, and while they are all decent people in their own right, each and every one of them went for their own benefit, not specifically for the benefit of others.
    Exactly. It is an opportunity for kids whose parents have enough money to support the trip, too! They do not work full days, either.

12/5 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I was totally unaware of Malcom's admiration for OJ..........and he sounds far more immature than what he is by lumping all OJ did into an empty and dismissive phrase as "leagal problems."
    I wasn't a huge fan of Malcom's before learning this but now, not at all. But I have trouble hearing anyone admiring someone who's behaved horrendously evil since he overcame some hardships.

And let's not forget that OJ's legal problems just keep going on and on, even to the present day so we can't even say he learned any lessons from his "legal Problems."
    Malcom has a lot of growing up to do when he states such riculous things.........he just happens to be good at Survivor but some of that is the result of being in the right place at the right time with the right person.

Sorry for this but that really got me steamed up. Malcom has a long way to go before I'd admire that kind of thinking. I guess being a good strategist had nothing to do with intelligence.
    Agree. "Immature" is exactly the word I would use. He doesn't get it. I don't care how young he was during OJ's murder trial - WWII ended a long time before I was born and I don't admire Hitler's political prowess or his leadership abilities.

Malcolm's bio turned me off early on & while I'll admit that I don't dislike him as much as I thought I would, he's definitely not a fan favourite for me and I wouldn't be thrilled if he won.
    Florimel and redsox girl like this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I love Malcolm! I hope he wins it all! Either him or Denise, would make me super happy. Skupin would be ok too I suppose, but he hasn't had to fight as hard as Malcolm or Denise to stay in the game. Lisa is playing this game quite odd lol, and of course Abi she might be used by someone to have at the F3 just because she would never win. Great season this has been so far.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

I like Malcolm - I would like him to win, Skupin or Lisa in that order. I can do without Denise.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I see on the previews, which I hope are ok to mention...unless you never turn on your TV I don't see how anyone could miss them...that Lisa is raising with Michael the idea of going F3 with Abi to improve their chances. UGH. I hope this is misleading. If not, it does seem as if the visit from Lisa's brother really changed her game play---for the better for her, but not for my favs. And the thought of Abi being in the F3... ONLY if the jury really lights into her.

+ Reply to Thread