+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: 11/21/12 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 11/21/12 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! I am thankful that both Abi and Pete didn't even make the first round of the immunity challenge. I am thankful that Pete is gone and Abi is left alone to fend for herself. I am very thankful that Abi is getting what she deserves. And I am thankful that nobody feels sorry for her. I have a feeling that sometime in the near future we will have a Heroes vs. Villains 2 and the villains will have Abi in it along with Naonka, Courtney, Randy, Corrine, Brandon H., Colton and Alicia.

'Survivor: Philippines': Jeff Probst on episode 10 | Inside TV | EW.com
    Poor Courtney...I mean yes she was a villain last time, but I actually liked her, and man, that would be an awful tribe to be stuck on. That tribe would possibly go down as the worst in Survivor history. I cannot picture that group of personalities getting along or working together at anything...getting camp set up, getting food, winning challenges, or even forming solid alliances. I wouldn't be surprised if that tribe lost every single challenge.
    4thatchers likes this.

It seems to me that Abi speaks English well enough to use it to spew an unending stream of venom. She wouldn't even listen to Denise's well thought out suggestion as to how Abi could learn to help herself become more well liked.

Denise would be my choice for fan favorite by far.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    She isn't young. She's 32. She is never going to develop any people skills or self-awareness.
    I didn't realize that when I responded. I was under the impression she was still in her twenties. Maybe her extreme immaturity made that more believable than that she was in her early thirties.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by kev89 View Post
    I'm actually liking Skupin more than I did earlier in the season now that we're seeing his gameplay. I'd be okay with him winning...the story of someone coming back onto Survivor after 12 years and winning it all would be awesome. But I also much prefer Penner, he's just such an awesome player and personality.
    I'm just appreciating that we have a cast of older players this season who've got game in more ways than one. Usually the older players aren't still in contention at this point--at most one or two might be. But this time out, we have four (Skupin, Lisa, Penner, and Denise). I get tired of seasons where it's just the pretty, vapid young 'uns being carried through the game by a couple of younger people who actually have game but don't want to work with older players. This season, we even have two competitive people (Malcolm and Denise) who went with making an alliance that ignored the age barrier.

And I really like that what's going to happen from week to week isn't so obvious. It makes the game much more intriguing.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midol
    I read an exit interview with Artis and he pretty much spelled out how he wished he had never alligned with her, but once he had, he couldn't really extricate himself from her because of numbers. He pretty much indicated that Pete felt the same way, so they were both more aware of how she was impacting their team. I think Pete, felt ... wrongly ... that he was a strategist and thought let's take the one nobody likes to the end. Kind of like Boston Rob with Phillip...but, since he is no BR, he just couldn't control Abi and it bit him in the rear. Which is why I go back to my original statement of how important it is who you allign with from the start. I know it is hard, because you don't really know these people and at the start they may seem like nice, normal people, but after a few days of bad conditions their true selves come out. That is why I like people who just sit back for a bit and assess the people who they are teamed up with, before making alliances...not just because they are your age, or same sex, or whatever. Think people, think! Think before you leap. You would think that since the show has been around long enough, more people would have figured that out.
    I'm not sure I agree with this. Both Skupin and Lisa were feeling ostracised from that core three and it wasn't just because of Abi. I would have to go back over it, but I think at some point (?) Pete and Artis could have tried to firm up something with Lisa and Skupin and when the time was right, lose Abi.

I sense they are backing off from her because they don't want to be viewed negatively.

I totally agree that you have to be really careful who you align with but I believe there have been a number of times that alliances made early (REAL early) have gone far, and even won... so I can see why people get tempted.

And I agree with SugarMama, I think Pete is stinky. Just like Artis, I never liked him and have no reason to now.
    4thatchers likes this.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by march View Post
    Yeah for Denise on this one. When she said that I was yelling "YES" at the TV. Finally someone who wants to win and not take the easy way out. If Denise has her way we may finally see a good final 3.
    It was more than smart to make that claim at this point. She is so well-liked by the other players, she HAS to know she is sitting in a great position to win the whole thing.
    When Denise says she wouldn't take the easy way out, she hints to others not to do the same thing.
    It's actually kind of easy for her to say, as it would be for Malcolm, because they are honestly in such a great position to win the end game.
    Naturally, it's much harder for players like Carter, Skupin, and Lisa, who, if they didn't take the easy way out by taking Abi are faced with the possibility of sitting next to Malcolm or Denise... and losing the game as a result.

Sneaky Denise. I like her a lot. She probably cost herself Abi's vote tonight, but gained so much with the other players (like RC). She's REALLY smart!

At this point, the only one who I think could take a run at Malcolm and Denise in the finals would be Penner because he's a great talker and has battled great odds, or as a long shot, Lisa I guess, simply because of the big move she made and that she has her own underdog story. But Penner has a shot, I think.

If Carter wins this, I'll eat Penner's hat.
    Last edited by spockwhat; 11-22-2012 at 08:43 PM.
    holly71 and malthus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I'm just appreciating that we have a cast of older players this season who've got game in more ways than one. Usually the older players aren't still in contention at this point--at most one or two might be. But this time out, we have four (Skupin, Lisa, Penner, and Denise). I get tired of seasons where it's just the pretty, vapid young 'uns being carried through the game by a couple of younger people who actually have game but don't want to work with older players. This season, we even have two competitive people (Malcolm and Denise) who went with making an alliance that ignored the age barrier.

And I really like that what's going to happen from week to week isn't so obvious. It makes the game much more intriguing.
    Yeah, same here, pretty interesting group we have left. I think one thing that made older players an easier target is that on most seasons, the younger players clearly outnumber the older players. Even though I'm a young guy myself, I do find myself usually pulling for the older players...probably because we usually get stuck with the young 'uns late in the game.

I'm loving how unpredictable this season has been as well...easily the most exciting season since Nicaragua in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden
    Quote Originally Posted by kev89
    I'm loving how unpredictable this season has been as well...easily the most exciting season since Nicaragua in my opinion.
    I agree with both of you. It's really a season of great stories and underdogs overcoming the odds. It just makes watching so enjoyable!
    Malcolm and Denise: their tribe was decimated, they got split up, the got back together and are making a run of it. GREAT story.
    Lisa: Snubbed by her tribe from the very beginning. First suggested vote out, and having a rough time of playing the game. Somehow, she prevailed.
    Skupin: Accident prone, disliked by his tribe for being a doofus, but quietly playing his own game.
    Penner: Has had EVERYone vote for him, has been the target numerous times, but won exactly the right immunity challenge and continues to work his way forward. I love Penner's story.

The only ones who aren't underdogs are Abi (for obvious reasons), and Carter.

I know most want Malcolm or Denise to win, but I'm actually rooting for Penner most, despite he's a returnee. Next, it would be Lisa for me, then Malcolm and Denise.
    march, Shoepie, kev89 and 4 others like this.

Unless there was a lot not shown at Tribal Council I don't get why Pete said the other players were brutal with Abi Maria. I didn't see anyone being brutal with her. I wish I had been at Tribal Council because I would like to have been brutally honest with her if I could have gotten in a word. I don't believe a lot of what Abi Maria says about not knowing folks were upset with her? No one is that clueless at her age unless they are missing half their brain. She knows enough to stick it to someone; if she is that aware then she knows exactly what she is doing.
    holly71, march, sweetpea and 5 others like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I think Denise (and a little bit of Lisa) telling Abi the truth was plenty. Regardless if English is her second language, Abi can pick up social cues that are universal. The fact too she kept interrupting Denise who really is trying to help her shows she knows she's not behaving properly but can't accept it.

And trying to help someone is not "brutal" - unless the person perceives it as such. But it's up to Abi if she chooses to be have this way.

That said, on the ESL bit - nope I don't buy it as an excuse. I had roommates from South Korea and Taiwan who had a weaker concept of English than Abi... BUT would know and tell me if I was acting a bit odd or ask me if I could help them with either American social cues or words they didn't understand. Will say my drawing skills improved because I had to draw at least 50 different words when the universal translator couldn't understand what I was saying. Abi I'd been demanding a room change quite honestly.

+ Reply to Thread