+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Dana - Philippines

Re: Dana - Philippines

I thought she had what Coltom had, same pain, & dehydrated( don't they drink any water ?) the body needs some help. Anyway I worried for Dana, funny, I never did that with Colton, and was glad to see him go.

It was so nice to see the softer side of Penner, when he held her.
    shyra and Brooks like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

Penner was quite the sweetie, dealing with Dana. It was nice to see a softer side of him.

Evidently Dana had been sick since the first day and couldn't keep anything down. She was severely dehydrated and spent 4 days in the hospital having fluids pumped into her. There have been some other contestants that have had the same problem, for whatever reason, they are barfing the first day and it just never stops. Perhaps it's due to the water? I know they boil their drinking water but maybe the ocean water has "critters" in it that people react badly to.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by RBmumsie View Post
    Penner was quite the sweetie, dealing with Dana. It was nice to see a softer side of him.

Evidently Dana had been sick since the first day and couldn't keep anything down. She was severely dehydrated and spent 4 days in the hospital having fluids pumped into her. There have been some other contestants that have had the same problem, for whatever reason, they are barfing the first day and it just never stops. Perhaps it's due to the water? I know they boil their drinking water but maybe the ocean water has "critters" in it that people react badly to.
    Yikes! she was really ill.Poor kid.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I thought she had what Coltom had, same pain, & dehydrated( don't they drink any water ?) the body needs some help. Anyway I worried for Dana, funny, I never did that with Colton, and was glad to see him go.

It was so nice to see the softer side of Penner, when he held her.
    I think I was the only person unhappy with the way Colton went out. Don't get me wrong, I was glad he was off the show, but I was so looking forward to watching that turd get blindsided Thank god he wasn't brought back for this season.

So, I guess we need a few facts to figure out how/what was going on with poor Dana with regards to this illness...Im just finding it very interesting.

First, if the contestants are sequestered for any amount of time before the game begins then her exposure to viruses and bacteria would have been severely limited. Second, if she was actually displaying symptoms on day one then I can't imagine that TPTB would allow her to participate...all of the medical staff would be aware that she was out of the incubation period (when she [still] would have been contagious (but not as contagious as when the symptoms actually set-in since you literally begin spewing copies of the virus or bacteria everywhere)) and therefore more contagious to the other contestants. Can you imagine trying to produce a show when a majority of the "survivors" are dealing with the common symptoms associated with most infections including massive diarrhea, vomitting, headache, fatigue, runny noses. etc... no one wants to see that on tv and if a "mini pandemic" occurred then there would be a giant problem in terms of lost time/production/and so on. Third, what day did Dana go out of the game? A normal virus will run its course within 2 weeks. Obviously, there are some considerations for Survivor that aren't present in normal recovery--the fact that her body was denied essential comforts, food and rest as the primary culprits--but 2 weeks is a long time for a human to battle something under these conditions. And the big question mark is that she seemed to be getting worse 10 days in rather than showing any improvement--that's not a good sign. When you see (or have) someone with the flu they seem like they are on the verge of death and thats how many viruses make folks feel...I just have a hard time understanding how any person could stand two weeks of that punishment. Of course, if it was a bacteria then there is a good chance the symptoms/onset would have been extremely dramatic/quick and she would need antibiotic treatment; more importantly, when you are suffering from a bacterial infection that absolutely requires an antibiotic it can manifest into some other serious problems if left untreated (scarlet fever for example) and the medical staff didn't seem overly alarmed. Finally, if she was suffering from a virus or bacteria then there is a very strong chance that someone else from her tribe would get sick...they aren't exactly out there washing their hands and monitoring shared utensils, sleeping spaces, etc... All in all, this just doesn't add up.....

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Quote Originally Posted by kev89 View Post
    I think I was the only person unhappy with the way Colton went out. Don't get me wrong, I was glad he was off the show, but I was so looking forward to watching that turd get blindsided Thank god he wasn't brought back for this season.
    I would have liked to see him get blindsided, too. Preferrably the night Bill went. Ugh.

I'm glad nobody this season is as hateable so far.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

They didn't show us many of her symptoms...someone said she was "burning up", she vomited, and clearly more than once, and she had stomach pain, and she required 4 days of rehydration...so it sounds like some kind of intestinal infection.... I've been to the Phillipines and even in a posh hotel, where I assume they were sequestered, you can definitely get something. I was traveling with friends and we went to an acquaintance's house for dinner...very wealthy where we were assured the water was boiled, etc., and 24 hours later 3 of the 4 of us were barely able to move except to crawl to the toilet. So I doubt it was something she brought with her. Lucky for her team they didn't have her with them at the challenge---they would have been decimated instead of just barely losing.
    Last edited by PWS; 10-19-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    I would have liked to see him get blindsided, too. Preferrably the night Bill went. Ugh.

I'm glad nobody this season is as hateable so far.
    Yeah, that would have been great. He convinced his tribe to give up immunity so he could get rid of Bill, only to get blindsided instead. I think it was Jonas who said in an interview that his biggest regret was not trying to blindside Colton that night.

True, though someone would have to be really nasty to even come close to being as hateable as Colton.

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

I don't think Dana had a "flu" so much as it was some sort of bacteria. And, the medical team won't take someone out unless it's a life or death situation. There have been other seasons, where several of the contestants are suffering from severe vomiting, massive diarrhea, etc, but it wasn't shown (obviously - I sure wouldn't want to watch!) but it HAS been mentioned. Some people are just "hardier" for lack of a better word than others.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12