+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast
Like Tree525Likes

Thread: 3/7 One World Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 3/7 One World Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    I don't watch Biggest Loser this season and I do see your point. I just wish that the network would use the medium to set the record straight. Yes everyone has a right to an opinion but do they have the right to voice it on television and be paid to do so? I think there is a moral responsibility to exemplify tolerance- particularly when involving social hate. It is one thing to call someone a skank, slut etc for skinny dipping with a bachelor on national TV when the other girls were sleeping in their beds but it is something different to air someone spewing hate that is based on nothing more than ignorance and prejudice. I suppose the best way for me to speak out against this would be by clicking the off button and not supporting the advertisers on the show.
    Yes, people do have a right to voice their opinion on TV and get paid to do so. Look at Bill Reilly, Bill Mahr, Newt and a host of others! Reality show contestants don't get paid any signifigant amount and I see good that can come out of Colton's racist remarks. He may be horrified to see this, it may start converstions in families, it will be discussed at the reunion if Colton lasts long enough.

And no, don't, don't click off. Stick around and let them do what they do! It is affecting their lives, not mine.
    ButterflyFaery and Midol like this.

I quit watching BB several years ago because TPTB kept playing over and over and over a comment made about one of the females. Then at the finale played the commet for her live. These are edited shows and if it was not good for the ratings TPTB would not show the comments.It is up to each person to decide what and when something is offensive and stop watching. I found Colton's comments very offensive, was waiting for them to show it because of Jeff's comments in the TV guide. I will not stop watching the show because of them, I chalk them up to ignorance on Colton's part. Someone mentioned upthread that his parents were probably mortified by his behavior, not in the least, they are the ones who raised him to think like this. What this shows is anyone.....regardless of straight, gay, religious, race, political....CAN be bigots.
    ButterflyFaery and Midol like this.
    There's no place like home!

Sometimes I think people love to watch Reality TV villans is that secretly they wish they could tell off people the way a villan does and that they can behave as badly as a villan does.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Yes, people do have a right to voice their opinion on TV and get paid to do so. Look at Bill Reilly, Bill Mahr, Newt and a host of others! Reality show contestants don't get paid any signifigant amount and I see good that can come out of Colton's racist remarks. He may be horrified to see this, it may start converstions in families, it will be discussed at the reunion if Colton lasts long enough.

And no, don't, don't click off. Stick around and let them do what they do! It is affecting their lives, not mine.
    hmm I see your point- then again I don't watch the shows who have commentators I don't appreciate.
    Shoepie likes this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I have to agree, reality tv needs it's villains or it would be boring as heck. But it just seems that with this show the actual 'surviving' that was so interesting to me in the first few seasons (remember the flood that took out their rice in Australia?) has taken a back seat to drama. I feel like production is purposefully trying to find the most divisive characters they can and they throw them in there to stir the pot and watch the fireworks. It does make for 'must see tv' and with Russell's first season I went along with glee, hating him but also admiring his evil ways to a certain extent. Now with Colton it just grates, so maybe for me the 'in your face drama maker' is starting to wear thin.

TBL for me should be a show that is inspirational to the audience. This season is anything but, sadly. But of course that is a conversation for a different thread.
    I agree with both points!

Yes, the villains bring the drama, and it is usually fun. But that's why I said Survivor seems to have jumped the shark this season. Colton's anything BUT entertaining, as you said - he's grating. Not fun to hate at all!

I used to watch The Biggest Loser, and I quit watching for the very reasons you stated. I wanted to see struggle and inspiration, there's plenty of drama on the other shows. I've not watched for 4 or 5 seasons now. Sad to ruin such a good concept.
    sweetpea, ButterflyFaery and Midol like this.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Let's add the Bachelor too. Luckily I have good people in my life but I get your point. Ignorant people abound. Reality TV would be boring without some contrast. This show particularly. I don't get as riled up as many do.

I see Colton as a privledged boy with an attitude, not a scumbag or evil. Conda is a loud mouth young woman who was never taught the basics of conflict resolution. I am being kind on this one. We saw Tiffany from Top Chef change her ways when she saw herself on TV. There is always the opportunity for that. But to wish for everyone to get along, why? We would have to watch scripted TV then. That cannot be good, you know. We would be bored silly.
    I think this is scripted tv, and have for some time. I guess what came out of his mouth disgusted me in a way nobody else on TV has. His dismissive wave ( get out of my face) to Bill was loathsome. I do take into account the editing, the prompting etc.

I guess there are many people like Colton , they just wouldn't be in my life, so its hard to sit and watch him, without wanting to slap him.

Reality TV would be boring without the so called villains, and every show HAS to have one, because who else are people going to hate( and talk about)
    sweetpea likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I think this is scripted tv, and have for some time. I guess what came out of his mouth disgusted me in a way nobody else on TV has. His dismissive wave ( get out of my face) to Bill was loathsome. I do take into account the editing, the prompting etc.

I guess there are many people like Colton , they just wouldn't be in my life, so its hard to sit and watch him, without wanting to slap him.

Reality TV would be boring without the so called villains, and every show HAS to have one, because who else are people going to hate( and talk about)
    By scripted TV I meant shows that have a script with actors like Greys Anatomy or NCIS. I see reality TV as manipulated; no one memorizes lines the night before shooting.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Dragonlady, et al. --- They didn't change their minds at TC about who to vote out---they scammed Bill into thinking it was Leif in order to get Bill to go along with going to TC. Then they showed us the scamming to fool us as well. From the relieved scam on Leif's face at TC he knew he wasn't the real target (although I'm sure he had some doubts!). They had to get everyone to agree to go to TC before TPTB would agree to let them give up immunity I'd guess. Or at least that' how I interpreted what happened that night.

Forgot to mention one really embarrassing moment....Tarzan ranting about how there's no racism in America these days (as "evidenced" by our President being who he is) while sitting next to the East Asian sushi chef whose name he didn't know who was covering his face to hide his reaction at what was being said next to him.

Oh, and, captain, if you quit watching TBL in the Heba/Vicki era the following seasons were much much better, full of people you'd enjoy watching... until this season where there's one person who is as bad as both of them combined. So there's hope for future seasons.
    Last edited by PWS; 03-09-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Dragonlady, et al. --- They didn't change their minds at TC about who to vote out---they scammed Bill into thinking it was Leif in order to get Bill to go along with going to TC. Then they showed us the scamming to fool us as well. From the relieved scam on Leif's face at TC he knew he wasn't the real target (although I'm sure he had some doubts!). They had to get everyone to agree to go to TC before TPTB would agree to let them give up immunity I'd guess. Or at least that' how I interpreted what happened that night.

Forgot to mention one really embarrassing moment....Tarzan ranting about how there's no racism in America these days (as "evidenced" by our President being who he is) while sitting next to the East Asian sushi chef whose name he didn't know who was covering his face to hide his reaction at what was being said next to him.

Oh, and, captain, if you quit watching TBL in the Heba/Vicki era the following seasons were much much better, full of people you'd enjoy watching... until this season where there's one person who is as bad as both of them combined. So there's hope for future seasons.
    At first I was thinking- here is a progressive older guy (when he said he was tired of race being an issue)- I initially believed he was going to slam Colton- colour me stupid when the crap really began to spew.
    mesachick and Midol like this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

I agree with Fanny Mare in that I don't allow people who think and behave like Colten into my life. I'm debating now whether I should allow this into my home through my television. I've watched Survivor since the first season, and, with a few ups and downs, I've mostly loved it. However, this last show really disturbed me. Colten is growing more and more bold in what he says, and I think, unless someone has the guts to stand up to him and tell him it's unacceptable behavior, without being voted out as a result, he will only get worse. The fact that no one at tribal spoke up against his bigotry was sad. And I know that someone could have and it may have been edited out, but I only have what they air to go on. Maybe what bothers me most is that Colten, being a gay man, is a member of one of the most discriminated against groups of people in the country. For him to be so bigoted and intolerant and to say the vile things he says about others who are different... well, he of all people should know better.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread