+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Matt - One World

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: Matt - One World

One less tool in the tool shed.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I am just going to call him Toe Tag from now on.
    WOW! You really called this one right off! LOL!

So glad he's gone! Now it's going to get interesting!
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

I must say in my dirtiest old lady way that the shaved chest did have potential to make things interesting, though. For that alone I mourn.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Toe Tag actually sounds like a reasonable non arrogant individual in this interview.

HitFix Interview: Matt Quinlan talks Survivor: One World - HitFix.com

HitFix: The game was only eight days in and you guys hadn't been to Tribal Council a single time. Why did the game need realigning in this way? What had gone wrong with the first bit of aligning you'd done?

Matt: When I first got out there, the Men vs. Women format, everybody realized really quickly that that changed what a normal game would be and that it gave the opportunity to get rid of some of who was perceived to be the stronger contributors to a team game, because the challenges would be based on balance and puzzle-making and coordination and that type of thing. So I think some of the guys who may be less athletic or physical felt like, "So there are these athletic types, well I can balance as well as them and I can make a puzzle as well as they can or better" or whatever their mentality was. So it allowed for these people who would have been valuable to a team game traditionally, to be expendable, so I think that everybody wanted to take that opportunity to get rid of a player like me. Initially I was aligning with the guys who were also vulnerable in the same way I was and that was Mike and Jay and Bill, to a lesser extent. We were also working with Colton, initially, for the first few days until he got that Idol. But the game is changing so much, right? You're always in a position where you're trying to create safety for yourself. I felt safe, pretty safe, for the first three days. When Colton got the Idol, he kinda drifted away and was in the middle kinda wanting people to woo him and to court him. Troy and Jonas were were aligned tightly and then Leif and Tarzan were kinda floating and Bill was floating a little bit. It was just about trying to get the numbers and so ultimately I realized I had lost that battle, that the group that's been labeled "The Misfits" on TV had the numbers and intended on being in control and I wasn't a part of that control, so obviously I was very, very vulnerable at that minute and felt it and so that's why I wanted to try to shake up the game, which was to put myself in a better situation. I was gonna do that by talking to Troy and Jonas and keeping my original strong three and then we'd have five like that. I needed to shake up the game, because as it turned out, as I was standing there on Day 6 or whatever, I was as vulnerable as anybody and I didn't like that, so I wanted to change that reality.

HitFix: The way we saw it on TV, Colton only showed his Idol to his alliance. But everybody on the Tribe knew?

Matt: Yeah. It was a big deal and gossip travels fast out there. Everyone kinda knew that Sabrina had found the Idol and needed to give it up, so I knew that Colton had the Idol on Day 3, I think, and everybody in our Tribe knew shortly thereafter. So yeah, people knew Colton had the Idol. It was very obvious Colton had the Idol. He wasn't being super-sneaky about it. He was actually talking about it quite a bit, building up his case. He kept saying he wasn't going home because he was going to play the Idol, so we all knew he had the Idol.

HitFix: You also just mentioned that in the initial round of alliance-building, you had Colton in your alliance, which we didn't see on TV. What was that about?

Matt: What you did see is that the four guys -- Me, Mike, Jay, Bill -- were together and that was the case on Day 1 or Day 2. Bill kinda ended up being more in the middle than tightly with us. But Colton was also kinda a fish out of water out there and we were working with Colton as well. Nobody really galvanized except for the four, my four, until probably Day 5 or 6. You saw that on TV last night, when Colton said, "OK. So this is our five. This is our five." I think also when Colton showed the Idol around the campfire to Troy and Leif, that also cinched it to them. In my opinion, he had to show them the Idol, because I think they were still viewing him as the first to go and so when he did that, everything kinda changed at that minute. Colton went from somebody I was playing with, who as I viewed as just a vote, to a guy who got the Idol and put himself out kinda in the middle and wanted to be courted and nobody knew which way he was going, to being head of what's been labeled The Misfits and when that became obvious to me, that's when I needed to shake up the game, because I realized that I was not in a majority at all.

HitFix: Do you think that Colton has control over what he's doing? Do you think he's playing a good game? Or do you view him as lucking his way along to some degree?

Matt: I think everybody that plays "Survivor," you have to rely on some good luck. There's good luck and bad luck out there at every turn, so of course everybody's lucky or unlucky. But I do think that there's a method to Colton's madness and I can say, for myself, that I underestimated Colton initially and felt like he was just this kid who was emotional and in over his head and that would allow me to control him, but ultimately as I learned, I don't think Colton is the type of guy that you can control. He's way more Alpha Male than people want to give him credit for because he's gay and pretty flamboyant out there, but he really is trying to control this game. Colton was not a tag-along and I guess initially I viewed like that, like a weak player that would just do what he was told to do to save his own skin, but once he got that Idol, it allowed kinda his true game to come out, which was that he wants to control the game. At the end of the day, I think that Colton is a good player.

I do like that he explains some of the dynamics of what was going on in the tribe and that every one seemed to know about the Hidden Immunity Idol.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Another good interview. I do like that Matt is very articulate and he does come across better in his interviews than on the show, just a little bit better.

Survivor: One World -- Exit Interview With Matt Quinlan | Reality TV Magazine

Question: What did you think of your portrayal on the show because a lot of people thought you were arrogant?

Matt Quinlan: I think I was portrayed like that and that was somewhat disappointing to me. There certainly were times where I was brash and cocky, and that’s the game that brought that out in me. That’s just kind of the competitive nature of being in this situation. That’s what came out. But there’s also lots of times, of course, that I was being humble, and friendly, and laughing and enjoyable with everybody. I don’t think America got to see that. I ended up being a character who was either loved or hated. I got a lot of that. There’s really no in-between ground in terms of how people viewed me. People either loved it or hated it. That’s fine. I’m OK with that. I think that’s a lot better than being invisible or “who is Matt again?” I certainly don’t want to be there, but I do want people to know that I’m not a jerk. You don’t have to hear it from me, just ask any of my tribemates down the road and I feel confident that they would agree. I don’t want to toot my own horn, but to some extent I feel the need to defend myself because I’m not a jerk. Do I have an edge? Yeah. Are there times I would get loud and cocky? Yeah, there are, but that’s not all the time. That’s not what makes me.
    I was glad I was not drinking or eating anything when I read that sentence, else I would have either spit it out or choked.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Hmm, I agree that he comes of as an articulate and intelligent individual. An articulate and intelligent individual who is also a big stupid liar. He made the muscle man alliance because they felt vulnerable? My ass.
    sweetpea likes this.

He's full of crap, IMO.

Oh, and truly humble people don't need to refer to themselves as humble.
    Uncle David likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    He's full of crap, IMO.

Oh, and truly humble people don't need to refer to themselves as humble.
    The fact that he says that he was being humble implies that it was all an act and not his normal state of being.

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

It has to be really difficult to see yourself on TV. I think we all have a bit of deception in our personal perception of ourselves. Then, you add in being "edited for character" and yowza - you can have some pretty interesting characters.

I think Matt probably isn't quite as bad or arrogant as he was portrayed, but no WAY is he as "humble, and friendly, and laughing and enjoyable" as he THINKS he was/is.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RBmumsie View Post
    It has to be really difficult to see yourself on TV. I think we all have a bit of deception in our personal perception of ourselves. Then, you add in being "edited for character" and yowza - you can have some pretty interesting characters.
    I would never do a reality show for just that reason.
    sweetpea likes this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast