+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: Kat - One World

Re: Kat - One World

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    ??? There is more to being a woman than sex, which I guess is what you are implying I was saying? Just like breasts have a function for babies that doesn't relate to attracting a mate. To me being a woman means being (or having the potential to be) a mother/parent in all senses, not just being a sex object.

I like seeing women use their intelligence in the game. Men, too, for that matter. Or if you are a woman dealing with a moronic MCP like Russell, use your looks and your intelligence to take him down. But to me the more interesting seasons are the ones that don't devolve into some kind of mating game. There are other reality shows for that.
    But I know people have a variety of reasons for enjoying Survivor... to each their own.
    I'm not talking about sex per se. I'm talking more about gender roles and the kid's needs that the mom fulfills vs the needs that the dad fulfills. These young girls really are kids, especially Kat. Nina did not seem like the warm nurturing mom, she seemed more like the rough, abrasive, physical dad. She needed to step up & be a physical presence. Maybe she didn't get the chance, but I didn't see her providing around camp. She obviously wasn't going to relate to the "dumb girls" or "boneheaded young women", as they have been called, as a peer. She seemed to me like the "Colton" of the women's tribe. Maybe she never had a chance from the beginning, but she seemed to treat her tribe with condescension, which surely didn't help her cause.

I got the sense her condensation was more frustration than anything else, as she could see easily which way the wind was blowing. IDK about not contributing to the camp, but she definitely wasn't one of the two girls lazing in the water and hoping nobody would realize they weren't doing a darned thing to help out around camp.

I just don't get why the older woman has to play the mother to these "kids"? Why? She's a strong woman in a strong, respected profession and yet she is supposed to spend her time coddling and offering advice to the young'uns?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I got the sense her condensation was more frustration than anything else, as she could see easily which way the wind was blowing. IDK about not contributing to the camp, but she definitely wasn't one of the two girls lazing in the water and hoping nobody would realize they weren't doing a darned thing to help out around camp.

I just don't get why the older woman has to play the mother to these "kids"? Why? She's a strong woman in a strong, respected profession and yet she is supposed to spend her time coddling and offering advice to the young'uns?
    I'm not saying that she HAD to do that, or that I think that was her responsibility. I'm just saying that it it might have been a strategy that advanced her further in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by maul52 View Post
    I'm not saying that she HAD to do that, or that I think that was her responsibility. I'm just saying that it it might have been a strategy that advanced her further in the game.
    You're right, it could have. They are so dysfunctional at this point, though, that I doubt anything would get these girls further in the game.
    They need to pull it together. Kat is young and seems almost too eager to make a name for herself. They need to stop playing for themselves and play as a team if they hope to pull out a win.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    You're right, it could have. They are so dysfunctional at this point, though, that I doubt anything would get these girls further in the game.
    They need to pull it together. Kat is young and seems almost too eager to make a name for herself. They need to stop playing for themselves and play as a team if they hope to pull out a win.
    I just wrote this in the Monica thread, i think Monica is the key to the women winning challenges from this point forward. I think they should let her develop the game plan and be the key to executing it. She kicked butt in the balance beam challenge, she knew the winning strategy and executed it perfectly. She needs to step up & lead them to victory.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Well, she is a (retired) police officer after all...and these days women in the police force aren't just assigned to be social workers to the young juvenile delinquents. I expect she's used to "mothering" at home and being a colleague at work. And given the hours and risks of her job maybe she and her husband don't follow traditional gender roles even at home, but rather both do some of each....as is true for a lot of parents these days.
    I guess she could have tried to play the mommy role on some of the younger more gender stereotyped twinkies, but I doubt it would have worked---we probably would have gotten the "I already have a mom" "she shouldn't tell me what to do" response.
    She certainly looked to be in good shape... sorry we didn't get to see what she could do.
    On the other hand, glad to see the women finally pull off some challenges, even if just barely.

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

Well, I think Nina is tough, smart & (yes) sexy. Ok, she's older - so am I. And, I have a lot of respect for her. Why the bloody HECK should she have to adopt a "maternal" role for the young hot girls? She tried to meet them on their own grounds and they discarded her like yesterday's junk mail. Just because the "dumb girls alliance" wasn't smart enough to recognize Nina's worth doesn't mean she wasn't worthwhile.

However, this is KAT's thread. Let's just say that she performed MISERABLY in the reward challenge. I bet Nina would have aced it.
    sweetpea likes this.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by RBmumsie View Post
    Well, I think Nina is tough, smart & (yes) sexy. Ok, she's older - so am I. And, I have a lot of respect for her. Why the bloody HECK should she have to adopt a "maternal" role for the young hot girls? She tried to meet them on their own grounds and they discarded her like yesterday's junk mail. Just because the "dumb girls alliance" wasn't smart enough to recognize Nina's worth doesn't mean she wasn't worthwhile.

However, this is KAT's thread. Let's just say that she performed MISERABLY in the reward challenge. I bet Nina would have aced it.
    First of all, I'll meet you in the Nina thread to talk about how she was a "bag of rocks". Secondly, it was Christina who had the first two mess-ups in the balance beam challenge. She reached out and grabbed and then grabbed again. Neither of these were Kat's fault. Yes, Kat should not have jumped in the first time, but the second time she jumped in achieved a reshuffling of the women that maybe they should have considered in the first place

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Nina= intelligent Ex-cop

Kat= bag of rocks petty theiver

Yeah, I wouldn't expect Nina to motherly either, especially with Kat. Maybe likely to use a taser, but not motherly.

But wait! Kat is PRETTY! Yes, she should be treated better than other human beings. PRETTY trumps INTELLIGENT and GOOD every day of the week. Like, duh.
    mom2 likes this.

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    But wait! Kat is PRETTY! Yes, she should be treated better than other human beings. PRETTY trumps INTELLIGENT and GOOD every day of the week. Like, duh.
    OMG - I cannot believe I didn't realize this! WHAT was I thinking?

I don't know if it was just a bad edit, but 7 tries to beat Troyzan at the reward challenge? Methinks this chick has gotten by on her looks for waaaaay too long.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

+ Reply to Thread