+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree199Likes

Thread: Colton - One World

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

Re: Colton - One World

Great post, CuckoosNest. You helped put everything in perspective.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    The women need Colton if it is 5/5 male/female at the merge....so they wouldn't go along with that. Why would they want to save a strong male after the merge?
    But you're assuming that any of these people have any common sense. The women needed Monica for her strength in challenges and because she was female and in their alliance, and yet Alicia agreed, gleefully no less, to vote her out. Nothing these idiots do would surprise me.
    Jaceegirl likes this.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Well, Alicia and Monica (and Christine) were on the outs before the rearrangement, and were only fragilely aligned afterwards. My guess is if the sexes had stayed divided and the women had lost they would have voted out Monica and Christine before the 4 core people. Maybe not before ALicia though---which is another reason Alicia might not feel loyal to Monica or Christine.
    Strength seems to be a lot less of a "protection" before the merge than it used to be in the old days of Survivor! Note who got zapped first on the men's tribe.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit View Post
    ?..and yet Alicia agreed, gleefully no less, to vote her out.
    Not that I enjoy defending Alicia, but she had no choice. The boys had the numbers. One of the girls was going, and Alicia didn't care who, as long as it wasn't her. The same reasoning the boys have for not going after Colton.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    Not that I enjoy defending Alicia, but she had no choice. The boys had the numbers. One of the girls was going, and Alicia didn't care who, as long as it wasn't her. The same reasoning the boys have for not going after Colton.
    But, BECAUSE the boys had the numbers, Alicia didn't HAVE to go along. She CHOSE to vote with the boys.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RBmumsie View Post
    But, BECAUSE the boys had the numbers, Alicia didn't HAVE to go along. She CHOSE to vote with the boys.
    She CHOSE to because not doing so would be like cutting off her nose to spite her face. What would she gain by voting against the boys? Nothing! However, by voting with the boys, to be specific, Colton, she gained an ally. An ally that might keep her over one of the boys if their tribe doesn't win an Immunity Challenge before the merge.
    spockwhat, JohnnyK and Fanny Mare like this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    She CHOSE to because not doing so would be like cutting off her nose to spite her face. What would she gain by voting against the boys? Nothing! However, by voting with the boys, to be specific, Colton, she gained an ally. An ally that might keep her over one of the boys if their tribe doesn't win an Immunity Challenge before the merge.
    I was trying to get this across in the main thread, you spelled it out better right here.

And with fewer words.

Quote Originally Posted by CuckoosNest View Post
    Okay, this may not be the best place to post a statement like this, but I have to get this off my chest.

I'm a gay man. (No, that isn't the statement I wanted to get off my chest.) I've been with my partner for 12 years; we're legally married here in Connecticut. We lead really ordinary lives... both employed and hard-working, homeowners, some community activites, etc. In short, a typical, boring American couple... except we're both of the same gender. And trust me when I say this: Neither of us are the butchest men on the planet.

The statement that I want to makes: Colton disgusts me.

Colton is a young, gay man who has fallen into a classic trap: In coming out (and gaining acceptance from external sources, probably for the first time in his life), he's let his sexual orientation overwhelm him, to the point where it dictates his every move, action and gesture. Colton isn't gay... Gay is Colton.

I've seen this happen before MANY times... guys like this somehow overly-embrace being gay. It starts off innocently enough, but then spirals out of control. They lose their identities and adopt this ultra-phony, snarky, narcissistic, comtemptuous air (which, in the end, has nothing to even do with being gay) because it makes them feel bitchy and empowered. It gives them a perceived sense of self when, in fact, they are just putting forth a caricature of themselves in tandem with an over-blown stereotype.

In short, I'm gay - been officially out and gay for over 30 years - and this guy's over-the-top, queeny affectations are off-putting to ME. I can only imagine the effect he has on people who already hate on gays.

I say all this because I think it's important for people to know that some of us want to divorce ourselves from this sort of image. I'm not saying that gay men need to be "straight-acting"... in fact, I hate that term. I AM saying that no one should use their sexual orientation like a baseball bat and club people with it. And Colton doesn't this.

I'm glad that Carson Cressley is mentioned in this thread. This is a man whose "queeny" behavior comes forth very naturally and organically, and not in a threatening way. He's just being himself. If you find yourself really threatened/put-off by Carson, it's your damage, not his.

I don't think this is the case with Colton. I find his behavior to be extremely forced, and I don't blame anyone for being offended by him. And if I'm wrong and he IS just being himself, then what were seeing are offensive personality traits that go way beyond being a big queen. I honestly don't think this is a good, decent person here, and that has nothing to do with his orientation.

So please... don't think for a second that all gay people are like this. More so, don't think that we have the solidarity to want this guy to win because he's a "member of the club."

The ONLY positive thing I'll say about this condescending little prick is that he's at least got his head in the game of Survivor. That said, I don't think he has a snowball's chance in hell of winning. He's quickly becoming a gay Russell Hantz... and if your read back on any posts I've written about him, you'll know how much of a tool I thought he was.

Then again, this is without a doubt the season that will go down as "Survivor - IQs less than 80"... so who knows?
    Thanks for the post. Im not gay, but, everything you just said is pretty much what I was trying to say, albeit from a hetero lol.
    To stereotype ALL gay men, in the same vain as Colton would be ignorant. I have to think that most people would agree with that--I hope so. More than anything hes just an a-hole--not a gay or straight a-hole, but, just a plain ole' a-hole. Then I went off on a tangent about the stereotypical flaming gay male that TV loves to portray, and how phony it is. Nonetheless, jerks come in all flavors.

GREAT post, CuckoosNest!
    KAREN

FORT Fogey

I like the Colton vs. Carson comparison. I never associated Colton's behavior with being gay. Colton just strikes me as a very angry and self-absorbed person without a thought in the world for others - gay or not.

Then again, I can see this kind of behavior as some sort of self-preservation mechanism in the face of social or familial disapproval of his sexuality.

Carson seems to have found confidence in himself to the point where the opinions of others don't affect his attitude towards life. But, it didn't happen over night.

Colton is young and clearly still working through things, and I'm guessing he's gotten a ton of flack for his behavior on the show. He is smart and will "get it" and learn. It may not be today or tomorrow (as he has a long way to go), but one day he'll develop self-awareness and respect for fellow human beings (If he wants to get it, he's gotta give it).
    dagwood likes this.

+ Reply to Thread