+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: 12/14 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 12/14 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    I also loved Sophie's line last night about how everyone had to go through "Ozzie's Pleasure Dome" before hitting the jury. That conjured up all kinds of visuals....some of which I wish hadn't made their way into my head...
    If I was booted off, I can think of nothing better than "Ozzy's pleasure dome" the best line of the night and she made a great point.Brandon is young and confused, and lets not forget heavily edited.
    sweetpea likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I really don't think Brandon's move was as stupid as Erik's on a previous season of Survivor. In Erik's case, he gave the immunity necklace to someone who was trying to vote him out. I don't think Albert was gunning for Brandon, was he? Plus, with the Redemption Island twist, being voted out of Survivor doesn't mean you're completely out of the game. Brandon has done very well in the physical challenges so if anyone has a chance of beating Ozzy and getting back in the game, it's Brandon.

We'll have to see how Coach and Brandon's relationship is affected by this if Brandon does win redemption. Will he come back still buddy-buddy with Coach or will being voted out by his ally sever their bond and make Brandon work against Coach? If Brandon loses redemption, does that mean Coach loses a jury vote from Brandon for his betrayal?
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Did anyone notice that at the end of tribal council that the Immunity Necklace fell off Albert's neck. I rewound and paused quite a few times because at first I thought he used his bandaged hand to remove the Immunity Necklace. But both of his hands were down. After watching it several times I saw the necklace drop and Albert caught it with his bandaged hand. So does this mean that God was so angry at Albert for being a two faced Christian and a bald face liar that HE gave Albert a "sign"?
    captain, Minney, justCoz and 3 others like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

^^^

Brilliant move, Coach! Brandon, I prayed and it is god's will. He told me to vote you out.

I am looking forward to read the post interviews and how everyone played along with the praying and god talks to stay aligned with Coach. I can see the inner struggle in Sophie though her face remains expressionless. She is a very calm and centered woman.

Quote Originally Posted by fan999 View Post
    This is an interesting question. In the 20+ seasons of "Survivor," have any participants ever claimed that they were told behind the scenes what to say or do? I'm sure some people have been upset about the editing; cutting hundreds of hours of tape down to 44 minutes a week allows producers to create pretty much any story line they want. But is anybody actually whispering, "Burn the socks. Bury the shorts. Steal the clue. Tell us more about God's plan!"
    Wasn't there a lawsuit filed after the first season, by someone who claimed that the producers manipulated a vote (told people to vote a certain way)? I have no idea whatever happened to the lawsuit, but I swear I remember it being filed.

FORT Fogey

Well, if we're talking producer manipulation -- did you catch in the previews that it looks like Ozzy running out into the water as part of a competition? If that's the RI duel between Ozzy and Brandon, I guess we know who the producers want to win that duel.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I'm also a Christian, and have been interested in everyone's views as to its place in a tv show. I agree, Spockwhat, that praying for strength and/or wisdom would fall into what (IMO) most mature Christians would do, because a personal relationship with God is the biggest part of who we are. This whole "pretense" of praying every time the camera turns on borders on blasphemy. Those who are "using" Christian faith as an act or to manipulate others are - in effect - taking the Lord's name in vain (one of the Big Ten "no-no's"). Brandon appears to be immature in all areas of his life, and markedly so in regards to the practice of his faith. It's not up to me to judge the intent of Coach's heart, but his new-found "praying at the drop of a hat" persona appears to be an affectation. And it's the kind of behavior that causes those who are not Christians to look at us and say, "See . . . they're all manipulating whackos."

I sincerely hope that Brandon gets a mature, Christian male mentor in his life after leaving "Survivor." He is searching for something that will help his life to go in a direction other than the way it started, and with the examples that appear to be available in his family, he's going to have to go somewhere else to find that role model. Kurt Warner - this kid needs you!!!!
    As a Christian myself, I thank you for writing this. These people do not at all reflect the majority of the Christian community and are not good representatives of religion in general. Brandon is very misguided, but I read that Coach is supposed to be a minister of a church, which really makes one question him for using God as the reason that he voted Brandon off - which, by the way, no one BUT Brandon was buying. Coach just needed a way to make it appear to Brandon that he was still playing with "honor and integrity", but I believe that even he knows that he crossed the line there. His spouting "honor and integrity" came back to bite him in the end. If Brandon has watched these episodes, which I imagine that he has, he now knows that Coach used him by playing on his insecurities.

Albert has turned out to be a real snake in the grass, and he just lost any chance that he might have had to win the million dollars. First he tells Rick that he will take him to the F3, and when he is called out on it, he completely lies, lies, lies to Rick's face. And, wow, he then manipulates Brandon, who in turn gives him the immunity necklace at TC. Albert would have had a better chance to stay in the game, if he had just handed the necklace back to Brandon and been sent to RI to duel against Ozzy. He was put on the spot at TC (especially by Rick saying for him to give the necklace back to Brandon) and didn't anticipate that there would be no more RI after this TC....as we saw at the end. Now he is the next to go, and he knows it, unless he can win the next several immunity challenges, and he has said that he is weak from not eating.

So, I expect to see Albert voted off next week and to see Ozzy return to the game. I also think that Sophie handled herself very well last night. She is no pushover and played her cards very well at TC. On the other hand, Brandon admitted that there was an alliance that he had made with Coach and Albert for the three of them to be in the F3 at the very end, and that was why he had to save Albert. This only helped both Rick and Sophie in the eyes of the jury and sealed Albert's fate - and possibly Coach's as well.
    Last edited by Longhornfan; 12-15-2011 at 11:05 AM.
    Minney and AZChristian like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    Wasn't there a lawsuit filed after the first season, by someone who claimed that the producers manipulated a vote (told people to vote a certain way)? I have no idea whatever happened to the lawsuit, but I swear I remember it being filed.
    Yes, Stacy from the first season claimed that producers interfered in them trying to vote out a certain person (I don't think it was BB, but someone else). As far as I know it was dropped - I do know that it hasn't been touched upon since.

I do think however if they did manipulate the votes for Rich's eventual win they've eaten their words given his claims about the show.

FORT Fogey

You know, I don't think it's even that some of the players are bad examples of Christianity. I think they're bad examples of humanity, period. I know the game encourages lying, manipulating etc., but when it's used against people who are so utterly guileless and trusting, I'd like to see a little remorse on the part of the people doing the lying and manipulating if I'm expected to think they're decent people. If they're like Johnny Fairplay, and they really don't care what people think or they revel in their villain status, that's one thing. But when they're supposed to be advocates of loyalty, honesty, and integrity, and they claim their decisions that go against that are what God told them to do, so as to absolve them from all responsibility for their decisions, that's quite another. Is it possible Coach has deluded himself into believing he's performing God's will by voting out Brandon? Possibly. But that doesn't change the fact that he turned on him and is not taking responsibility for doing it or for the fact that most Christians do believe God has given them free will to choose between what's right and wrong--and that it's really hard to see turning on Brandon as being "good" in any way other than that it's good for Coach's game. Speaking of which, the Bible doesn't say a lot that's positive about money, and ultimately what Coach is hoping for is that he'll get a million dollars for manipulating everyone else better than anyone else could.

All through the game, Coach has done any number of things that aren't exactly "Christian" or honorable. He lied about the hidden immunity idol, pretending to find it, and letting Brandon believe God somehow led him to it (and the others who knew about it did the same thing by keeping their mouths shut). He's clearly been intending to use Brandon's loyalty until it became a liability and has said so when out of earshot of Brandon and the others. He used Edna for as long as he could and then cast her aside, even though she was the first (and originally, only) person to be particularly welcoming to him. He also made a big deal of praying in public and forcing others to do so--I still can't forget him yanking Edna to her knees after a challenge where she took a lot of hard hits, because she wasn't quick enough to join his prayer circle of gratitude. I guess Coach missed that section of the scriptures that encourages Christians not to make a great show of their piety.

Basically, he's been behaving like a hypocrite. That doesn't make him a particularly admirable example of Christianity or humanity. It may make him a formidable Survivor player, but he's not selling himself as that so much as a person of great honor--and that's not what his actions are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    You know, I don't think it's even that some of the players are bad examples of Christianity. I think they're bad examples of humanity, period.

Basically, he's been behaving like a hypocrite. That doesn't make him a particularly admirable example of Christianity or humanity. It may make him a formidable Survivor player, but he's not selling himself as that so much as a person of great honor--and that's not what his actions are saying.
    I agree with everything that you said but just shortened your post. And, I also see Coach as behaving as a hypocrite, claiming to be a man of honor while displaying something all together different. I will be interested to hear what he and Brandon both have to say at the reunion show.

+ Reply to Thread