+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: 11/2 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 11/2 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

First RI season was the same way. Matt came back first, only to get voted off again, and Andrea was the second to return.
    Last edited by Tribal Speak; 11-07-2011 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Punctuation
    spockwhat and rfromp like this.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, 7up Pinball Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Speak View Post
    First RI season was the same way. Matt came back first, only to get voted off again, and Andrea was the second to return.
    Yep, the final redemption island duel was day 36. Andrea took on the three boys at the vase balancing competition and was able to return to the game. (And promptly got voted out.)

FYI:

Jeff Probst on episode 8 of 'Survivor: South Pacific' | Inside TV | EW.com

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Okay, Jeff. You were there. How thick was that tension after the Tribal Council vote with Cochran switching sides? Tell me what the scene was like as the contestants headed out of Tribal and back to camp.

JEFF PROBST: It was very tense after the vote. I felt for Cochran. There is nowhere to hide out there on the island. Nobody to call. No one to drop by with a Dominoes pizza and make you feel better. He made a big move and nobody was happy about it. It was very clear.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY:For the life of me, I cannot find any strategic advantage to switching sides at this point other than avoiding the colored rock. Obviously, the colored rock exists as a game of chicken to see if anyone blinks first, so I ask you: Would you ever in a million years change your vote to avoid it? And is it indeed an act of cowardice to do so?

JEFF PROBST: I think Cochran changed his vote for a few reasons and the number one reason is that he felt bullied by his tribe. So given the chance to go to the other tribe was appealing because he might improve his position from bottom of the totem pole and if nothing else, “pay back is a bitch, Ozzy.” Would I draw rocks? Depends. Jim’s logic made no sense to me because he kept saying that his “tribe” had the better odds, because they had two people with immunity, but Jim still had the same odds as everyone else. This is an individual game. At that point in the game I am not going to draw rocks. This is a zero sum game which means there is only one winner. I’m not drawing a f—ing rock this early in the game. Too many moves left to make. I like Cochran’s move. He’s a long shot to win so he went for broke.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY:You looked like you were struggling to keep a straight face during Ozzy’s acting job at Redemption Island and I don’t blame you because he was AWFUL. Have you ever in 23 seasons had a point where you felt you may have slipped a little — or come close to slipping — in outing someone’s deception with a comment or facial reaction?

JEFF PROBST: Hard to know what the contestants can read on my face. I thought I did a pretty good job given Ozzy’s “unbelievable” performance! For the most part I feel confident that I don’t give away anything. One big thing I have going for me is the contestants wouldn’t know what to look for anyway.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY:This season is on a really good run and the only thing I’m pissed about is having to wait an entire week to see what happens next. So tell me: What happens next?
    Cochran’s move left a mark. The tribe is not happy about it. The first ten minutes are some of the most uncomfortable of the season as they UNLOAD on Mr. Harvard.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I just don't like Cochran. It rubbed me the wrong way that first thing into season he was telling Jeff to call him by his last name like some of the other past great Survivor contestants, like he was already destined for greatness. And there's just been lots of little things along the way about the way he talks to people, about people, and how he carries on about being so picked on yet in the next breath basically admits to his ineptness around camp. What exactly does he bring to his tribe and why does he think he deserves the win more than anyone else?

I know a lot of people on the forum are rooting for him but I can't stand the guy. I don't know if he could do anything at this point to make me like him. He seems very representative of people of his generation. Many of them have a sense of entitlement but don't feel they have to do anything to earn what's coming to them. That really annoys me.

I don't like him much either, but I will admit it was a big move on his part. Let's see if he can handle the fall out. I don't think he deserves to avoid the condemnation of his ex-tribe either. You make the move, you own the repercussions. You can't have it both ways, you can't betray people (even though in your mind you had no loyalty to them) and then hope they won't mind. The show doesn't work that way. But if he can just own up to making what he thought was the best move for HIS game, then really what can people do? They may be ticked off and let you know it, and yes it may be uncomfortable for a time, but that's the way the game goes sometimes. I just hope we don't see any preachiness by Brandon and Coach on top of it all as they commiserate with poor Cochran.

Oh, who am I kidding?

Cochran will have a very tough time getting to the end, but frankly I am coming to think more and more that he's not playing for the million this go around, but is playing for an invitation back and a spot on the 'known by their last name' Survivor all star list.
    mushybrain likes this.

I like Cochran, he has sure taken the heat off of another hated player. LOL
    sparklete likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I like Cochran, he has sure taken the heat off of another hated player. LOL

Who's the other hated player?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I'm going to guess Brandon with his crazy early edit...

I was reading someone's thoughts on the 'Net about this episode and they really rang true to me. Yes, Cochran comes across as a weak and pathetic character who desperately craves approval (as evidenced by his desire to immediately be one of Jeff's favourites) but it's unrealistic of his tribe to expect him to change that character on the show. SO the dumbest thing Ozzy, Jim and Keith could do was try to browbeat him into stepping up and changing his character and redeeming himself at Redemption Island. Instead, they would have been wise to give him the approval that he so desperately seems to need, even if they have to fake it. That guarantees his vote and his vote is just as important at a weekly TC and at the end. Keith continued to harp on about it even after Ozzy had gone to RI when there was no need and instead they should have left it alone. Keith deserved to go for that stupidity alone, not to mention the "non-Elyse" vote from a few weeks ago.

Cochran felt he was being browbeat and bullied. I can't help but think how Rob would have handled that situation. I think he would have approached Cochran privately and reassured him, thereby tucking him neatly under his wing until he could use his vote or get rid of him. Reminds me of what he did with Phillip who also felt marginalized and misunderstood and picked on. In this game, you have to go with the flow and sometimes that means faking it.

ETA: there is apparently a deleted scene showing Coach tell Albert to offer Cochran a fake "final 4" deal with him. His reasoning was to make Cochran feel welcome and treat him nice and "he's ours" - sure enough, it worked. Is it fake? Probably. Did Coach do the exact right thing? Absolutely. That was all it took but apparently Ozzy and co. couldn't seem to figure that out.
    Last edited by sweetpea; 11-08-2011 at 11:50 AM.
    KatesMom likes this.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, 7up Pinball Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Who's the other hated player?
    Yeah, that! My best guesses are Brandon, Coach, possibly Ozzy.

I know a lot of people on the forum are rooting for him but I can't stand the guy. I don't know if he could do anything at this point to make me like him. He seems very representative of people of his generation. Many of them have a sense of entitlement but don't feel they have to do anything to earn what's coming to them. That really annoys me.
    The bolded section makes me really uncomfortable, because I don't see any huge entitlement differences between Cochran's generation and my own. I don't get the sense of Cochran feeling entitled. I have said I don't like the guy much, but so far this season he seems to have been fighting for his life in this game, until the move he made last week.

Bearcata, thanks for the ET article. Seems Jeffy is behind Cochran... as sweetpea mentioned just above, Savaii blew it by how they handled Cochran.
    Last edited by spockwhat; 11-08-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    There is no more Redemption Island once the merge happens. There are 11 players left. Normally there are 9 jury members. Therefore a final 2 not a final 3. Jeff also always announces who the first member of the jury is.
    I agree with the others - it showed Keith going to RI, so I think there will be at least one more person re-joining the game. Question on the other information - when did the jury change to 9 members? I admit I haven't watched it in a while, but when I did watch it, it was the final 9 who were important - 7 members of the jury and the F2.

+ Reply to Thread