+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 10/19/11 - Show Discussion - *** spoilers ***

Re: 10/19/11 - Show Discussion - *** spoilers ***

I think Coach is playing a good game right now. He's manipulating those he can manipulate in creating an alliance to go into the merge. While it isn't always the case, usually the team with the numbers at the merge picks off the other team - we lovingly call it being "Pagonged" after it happened to the Pagong tribe of Season 1. Of course, occasionally the smaller team makes a run (as happened with Russell's team) or someone switches...but as a rule, numbers and loyalty offer the best chances going into the merge.

Coach has been handling Brandon masterfully - he realizes he's a loose canon but is managing to keep him under his wing. He's created a strong bond with Sophie and Albert, so much so that Albert gave him the clue the led him to the HII. And Coach has turned Edna's desperation into a bond, as well. So love him or hate him, as they say: You can't argue with success.

So Mikayla, who was obviously strong and could have performed better, failed in that she didn't listen to the advice being given her. It wasn't just Coach telling her to not do it one-handed, and maybe if she'd tried she might have been more successful. While Coach didn't knock out any targets either, at least he was trying his best. If he had been doing it one-handed, would he have changed coarse and tried something different, especially something everyone else was doing? I think he would have, but we'll never know.

In the end, I think he made the right decision for himself - and after all, they're all playing for themselves in the long run. A team doesn't win the game. And while some of them will comprise the jury that might vote for or against him if he makes it to the end, so far he's not got any real enemies, except for Christine, who is a long shot for returning to the game.

That's my two cents
    cablejockey and sparklete like this.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I really think I could handle Coach better if he would just lay off his honour and integrity constant blather and own the fact that you have to deceive in order to play this game. Letting Brandon run around all day looking for the HII knowing he would never find it was no different than Rob deceiving Grant by switching the HII clues. Coach's self-pontificating makes me grit my teeth. Own your game even when you don't play it with 100% integrity or just be quiet. He's playing a good game for himself, but his sexist comments and his preachiness just make me scream.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I really think I could handle Coach better if he would just lay off his honour and integrity constant blather and own the fact that you have to deceive in order to play this game. Letting Brandon run around all day looking for the HII knowing he would never find it was no different than Rob deceiving Grant by switching the HII clues. Coach's self-pontificating makes me grit my teeth. Own your game even when you don't play it with 100% integrity or just be quiet. He's playing a good game for himself, but his sexist comments and his preachiness just make me scream.
    In one sense I admire Coach for having a code and trying to live by it. He has also learned how to play Survivor which calls for doing things that go against his code in real life. I do find it interesting that Coach feels the need to have moral issues over playing a game. At least he realizes what he is doing and what the possible consequences can be. I just wish half of the bankers and politicians who got us into this financial mess we are in would have the moral code of Coach, the country and the world would not be in this mess otherwise. The trouble with Survivor is that it is 24/7 for 39 days and playing a game that long and not being yourself that long is wearing. That being said, I have no problem with Brandon running around looking for an idol that is no longer there. How many times have people revealed that they have the idol when they should have kept their mouths shut? At least Coach and Albert are sticking to their final 3 and not blathering about what they know. As far as Edna is concerned, I don't find his comments sexist at all. Edna can't play a physical game, she knows it, everyone knows it. What she does bring to the game is loyalty. I think Coach is the only person on his tribe that truly understands how important loyalty is. Russell understood it. He always picked that one person who could take him to the end. Yes, Coach gave a crude example of how loyal Edna could be but so what. People have done stranger things to survive.
    sparklete likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I somehow don't think Coach would have indicated that a good little male soldier would wipe another guys $#$# if he told him to. Personally, I think he reserves those little gems for the girls. Just how I see things after watching his first season until now...

FORT Newbie

Dumb Vote

Thats got to be one of the dumbest votes ive ever seen, they keep Edna over Mikala? With an upcoming merge you have to try and go in with a numbers advantage and that means giving your tribe the best chance at winning. Yeah Mikala was awful in that challenge, but shes far superior to Edna in strength and ability.

Im sure the other tribe will be shocked and elated with this vote.

Re: Dumb Vote

Since they kept Edna over Mikayla, it will be interesting to see what next weeks challenge will be. Coach better hope that it is a combination of physical strength and perhaps puzzle solving, because Edna will have to participate next time.

I do think that that was a very crude remark that Coach made about Edna's loyality to him. You can count on that remark being addressed by Jeff at the reunion show.

I would have been here commenting but Survivor is on at 1am British time and Im asleep!

I think its strange how it has not been addressed on Edna's intelligence, the woman is a doctor and even though her social game sucks I think
    that compared to Mikayla especially she is as bright as a button. Coach's comment was abrupt but stupidly true as she presents herself very much as some sort of weak sapling. However I think Coach genuinely likes her but the game is more important to him, his comments were not sexist at all and I think his alliance has just happened to be a lot of males this season.

Mikayla was an idiot for ignoring the advice because she didnt want to fall on her ass. Coach reasonably asked her if she wanted a break but she ignored him and she partially lost the challenge. With that sort of stubborness its not surprising Coach wanted her gone. Theres also the possibility that Coach thought the merge would come next and Mikayla might flip.

I have never laughed so much at Survivor when Coach did Russell impressions and hid the idol truth from Brandon as he looked in the trees. I know Coach sees him as some sort of charitable case but Im glad he saw sense to keep the truth hidden. Im looking forward to the Brandon/Coach split at some point.

An interesting note from last night is Sophie and Albetr going against the grain, possibly a duo there to challenge Coach? Especially when they are supposed
    to be the idol 3...heh

Not much to say about Savaii apart from I wish Ozzy gets slapped.
    sparklete likes this.
    BIG BROTHER INSTANT CELEBRITY MIX- Just add Fame hungry Idiot.

Warning: Effects may not last.

I also find it a bit odd that the entire tribe has this distaste and disdain of Edna's social and physical prowess and yet in the one area Edna does have talent in; her ability to think, they vilify her. Poor girl can't catch a break with this tribe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I also find it a bit odd that the entire tribe has this distaste and disdain of Edna's social and physical prowess and yet in the one area Edna does have talent in; her ability to think, they vilify her. Poor girl can't catch a break with this tribe.
    I agree. Remember she was the only one who welcomed Coach and offered assistance in that first moment? He acknowledged and appreciated that. Her social game might be of a higher intellectual one than most are used to, which could be why she's on the "outs" with many of them -- I'm kind of a nerdy type, older, mature, serious person...and I'm sure even if I were 20 years younger, I wouldn't be able to connect with most 20-somethings, either. I know if I were ever on Survivor, I'd be one of the first to go...even though I could out-puzzle them.

Sadly for Edna, I suspect her lack of physical strength will provide an easy excuse to send her packing.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I think if Edna makes it to the merge she will have a chance to outlast a few of the others as most under the radar players are seen as ineffectual and therefore are overlooked as targets for tribal council.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast