+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: 5/15 Show Discussion *spoilers*

Re: 5/15 Show Discussion *spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by NFL1 View Post
    I would LOVE for there to be a season that has the AUDIENCE vote for the winner...they'd be sure to craft their PIs very differently. And not just the fan favorite, but the actual winner.
    I don't want to see that. I want to hear their real thoughts, not their sucking up to the public at large. Ugghh, I'm getting slightly nauseous just thinking about all the saccharine we'd have to swallow over the course of the season.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Wow...33 pages of comments already, and the show's barely over...
    I guess people DID tune in for the finale!

I think they could NOT do the farewell walk because there was no one from the Zap tribe in the F3...so no one who would have known who some of those early boots were to say something about them.

I think they are doing back to back RI series because they are probably already filming it---and this way a 2nd group of people will be blindsided by its existence. But I, too, am not thrilled by the concept (althought I"m sure they never thought they'd get someone like Matt on RI!), and especially not thrilled by the idea of two returnees, no matter who they are. Two of my fav females, Cirie and Sandra, function by kind of not standing out from the crowd. Once you are the official leader that's hard to do.

I hope never ever to see Russell H. again, and even though I enjoy Rob and thought he played a masterful game, I'm pretty done with him as well. On to new things, Rob. David I really liked, and sadly I'm with those who thought his girlfriend saying, Just shut up! was her trying to get him not to embarrass himself. I don't see that lasting.

If Nat and Ash had told Andrea that Rob had the idol she could have suggested Phillip as the target...but I agree if Nat and Ash knew he had it, there's no way he could be gotten off, unless he was dumb (not) or to full of himself to play it (possible, but I can see him imagining what Amber would say if she saw him not play it! ).

Glad Matt didn't get the $$. I'm sure his god will provide some $$ for med school. He still seemed not interested in Andrea, whom I liked, so another thing to hold against him. Now they would make a great TAR team....

Glad we got an apology and handshake on the race issue---way to go for both of them!
    They did the Rites of Passage walk, they just didn't air it on the show. I saw the video of it this morning, but can't remember where now.

And I don't think they film the fall season until the summer months. The reason they film the spring season while the fall season is airing, is because the time frame is much shorter in between airings, since they have the finale for that in December and then start airing again in February. But from everything I've ever read, they film the fall season during June and July. Which means there's still time for them to change their minds about doing another Redemption Island, if there's enough protest. I hated the twist myself, since it makes a mockery of everything Survivor has ever stood for. Yes, I watched anyway, cause I love this show.

Happy with the Rob win, he completely deserved it. Very awkward proposal, I was embarrassed for David that she couldn't at least pretend to be more excited. I kind of liked Julie during the game, but had second thoughts on that after her jury performance. This is the same person who hid Phillip's shorts out of pettiness, and am I mistaken or did she not willingly vote out a member of her own alliance in Sarita? No need for her to get on her high horse at final tribal council after some of those moves she made.

FORT Fogey

My entire family and all my friends are still so pumped that Rob won the million and the fan favorite $100,000, and will have his own show. He deserves all of it. He's a good guy, he really is.

FORT Fogey

Julie's point that she hates to see girls rely so heavily on men was a good point, but poorly made. The "shame on you" stuff really was a turn off and unfortunately, her point was somewhat lost because of it. But I agree with her... I'm tired of seeing strong women immediately voted out of this game. The only women who make it now are the ones who lay low. There is something very sexist about this game. Matt said he was there to serve his God... well, one person said they were going back home to join a church and another said that they were a changed person and had a renewed faith. He may not have won the game, but he has to be ok with that.

Julie did apologize at the reunion show for the way she made her points, saying her tone had to do with the emotions of the moment. I totally agree with her points, however. If I were Phillip's son, I'd be embarrassed about how my father behaved (not to mention dressed) on the show, his work ethic aside (which she did commend). Natalie and Ashley both behaved like Rob's version of Charlie Sheen's goddesses for much of the game; Ashley wised up toward the end a little, but Natalie bought Rob's line right through his coaching her through her tribal speech, without seemingly a thought to the possibility that he might be misleading her in order to make his own case for winning better. I know they're young, but it's embarrassing to me as a woman when woman/girls behave like that, and I can see where it would be especially embarrassing to someone like Julie, who's had to work her way into a male-dominated field, to have to see the weakest, least accomplished woman in either tribe end up in the final three, still looking to Rob for her every answer (and she wasn't the only person who noticed Natalie doing that). Natalie needs to wake up and think for herself or the possibility that she could end up in a very bad situation is greater than usual for someone her age. And yeah, Rob, who manipulated Natalie for the whole game, taking her to the final only because he knew she was going to be oh so very easy to beat and working her like a marionette to the very end, has two daughters. How would he feel if someone referred to either of his girls as so sweet and then used her to further his own ends and privately thinking of her as stupid/naive in the process? How might they feel when they're older and see footage of the show? Rob always says the game is one thing and his family life is another, but it's not that easy to compartmentalize your life or your choices, and I think that's what Julie was trying to point out. Could she have said it better? Sure. But that doesn't completely negate the validity of her points. I'm actually really sorry she didn't make her points in a different way, because Natalie seemed to take the stand that she had learned she didn't have to listen to the opinions of others with regard to what Julie had said, and she really does need to rethink how easily she just follows the leads of others who appear to be likable and charming and ultimately may not have her very best interests at heart.

Oddly, I think Matt may be taking some satisfaction in the way the game turned out for the reasons you stated. I'm not a big fan of Matt's religious style myself, but I do think that in his case it was probably sincere and not a front put on for others. If it was sincere, then he likely does feel like he accomplished a lot on Survivor, and I guess I don't have a big problem with that. It's not like he forced anyone to convert or anything, and he doesn't have any control over how they behave in the future. And for all we know, he didn't talk about God 24/7. Everybody gets the edit they get. Heck, Phillip may have had some lucid moments that didn't get aired too. Natalie may even have had an independent thought--and voiced it.

FORT Fogey

My entire family and all my friends are still pumped Rob won the million on Survivor and the Fan Favorite $100,000 and gets his own show. His twitter almost blew up with congrats last night. He is really a nice guy and deserves every penny. Outwit, Outlast, Outplay..whatever it takes to win, it's a game. WTG, Rob Mariano!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gina28 View Post
    He is really a nice guy...
    While I admire Rob and think he played a masterful game this season, I don't think "nice" is the best adjective to describe him. And even if he is the nicest guy on the planet - which I definitely doubt - people aren't tuning in to watch him be nice. Calculating, manipulative, smart, intutitve, ruthless, egocentric... that's more Mariano-esque. And way more entertaining than "nice."

That said, I do enjoy the moments when Rob's conscience catches up with him. But these spots of "nice" really need to be the exception and not the rule where he's concerned.
    Last edited by CuckoosNest; 05-16-2011 at 02:10 PM.
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CuckoosNest View Post
    While I admire Rob and think he played a masterful game this season, I don't think "nice" is the best adjective to describe him. And even if he is the nicest guy on the planet - which I definitely doubt - people aren't tuning in to watch him be nice. Calculating, manipulative, smart, intutitve, ruthless, egocentric... that's more Mariano-esque. And way more entertaining than "nice."

That said, I do enjoy the moments when Rob's conscience catches up with him. But these spots of "nice" really need to be the exception and not the rule where he's concerned.
    Bold is what it takes to win this game. It's a game, he's the best. Unless you know him personally, it's unfair to say he's NOT a nice guy in real life. Winning Player of the Game, which is the fan, speaks volumes. He's very popular and well liked. His twitter and fb can attest to that fact alone.
    Last edited by Gina28; 05-16-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Carolina always seemed like a tough nut to crack. I'm hoping that was all there was to her awkward acceptance. But, time will tell.

Anyway, once Rob had Andrea back out of the game, I told my husband I might as well call it an early night and go to bed. There was 0 suspense from that point on. Ashley and Natalie should have forced a tie at the 4-3 tribal council, it was their last shot at a move. I bet Ashley is too proud to realize she could have won the whole thing with some guts and a little bit of luck right there. No, I don't think Ashley would have gotten more votes than Rob, but she could've had second place instead of fourth.
    _(Moo!)

FORT Fogey

Color me shocked a narcissistic jerk who has had numerous attempts at perfecting the show, and had literally the biggest bunch of following idiots on his team won the show. Survivor has lost my respect and my viewing. They have literally jumped the shark. It was just a paycheck for Rob for doing what he does to get people to tune in. How all these people vote for him for favorite and watch liked that he won is a mystery to me. I find him to be one of the most annoying people ever on reality television. I am so not interested in seeing casting on a reality show for a specific role, and that is all Rob is/was. Survivor is not reality television anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina28 View Post
    Bold is what it takes to win this game. It's a game, he's the best. Unless you know him personally, it's unfair to say he's NOT a nice guy in real life. Winning Player of the Game, which is the fan, speaks volumes. He's very popular and well liked. His twitter and fb can attest to that fact alone.
    ICAM. I am sure he is a nice guy IRL too. It's not like you hear any stories about him being a jerk or anything. You could see that the situation with Grant clearly upset him. Would a guy who wasn't deemed nice even care? Plus he does manage to keep getting in front of the camera on various shows. I am really looking forward to Around the World in 80 Ways!

+ Reply to Thread