+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 123

Thread: 5/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

  1. #81
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,449

    Re: 5/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Can we just get to the juicy stuff already? Another hour of predictable TV. Well, the reward challenge wasn't very predictable. I need this to fast forward to the good stuff! There better really be a blindside next week! Or else!

  2. #82
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,836

    Re: 5/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    What on earth is wrong with wanting more?! You just dont like Rob and that is okay.
    What raised the reaction--or at least my reaction--was the comment that it was more about winning the game for Rob, that the million dollars was more of a perk than his main motive. If the argument is now that he wants more, then it can't be that winning the game of Survivor is his main motivation. I don't think simply winning the game is anyone's primary motivation, and I won't believe that until, as I said, they have a season where everyone's playing for a favorite charity. Even then, I suppose, they're really hoping to win the money, but not for themselves, and it takes a different kind of motivation to go through what people in Survivor go through for the sake of a cause than for money in the bank.

    Speaking of which, the other argument, that Rob and Amber really aren't wealthy perhaps has to do with people's perceptions of wealth. If they've earned more than $650,000 in, say, the last ten years, due to various competition/reality shows, and I think it's safe to say that they have, to a lot of people, that's quite a bit of money. Maybe not compared to what a film star or a sports star makes, but certainly a lot more than most middle class families have coming in, and they, too, are raising kids, making house payments, saving for college etc. If Rob and Amber weren't thinking ahead when they got that first $650,000 (plus whatever Rob got for second place) and weren't banking/investing a good share of it, then they really weren't thinking. If they did, then, barring a really bad loss in the stock market in 2008 (which a lot of people with less money than $650,000 to consider also suffered) they ought to have more of a nest egg set aside than a whole lot of people. If they weren't also working at other careers, and were depending primarily, if not solely, on their reality show careers/reputations for their livelihood (and I have no idea if they were or weren't), then they were making a choice not to look at that money as a prize but as a salary, and it was their choice not to try to supplement it with other work. In other words, if they need money now for college educations, a bigger house or whatever, because they didn't look at their winnings as extra money but as their primary source of income, perhaps that wasn't a wise decision and they need to recognize that (if that's what they did--I have no idea--I'm just trying to figure out a situation in which that $650,000 could be viewed as something other than a substantial windfall for a little over a month's effort).

    As for what's wrong with wanting more, I don't know how to react to that if that's what someone truly believes, except to say that there are people who don't believe that too, who think that at some point, wanting more becomes a problem because it can end up coming at the expense of other things and other people. Personally, it wouldn't be worth a million dollars to me to do Survivor, because of what you ultimately have to do to win the game, which is why it's always refreshing to me when someone who has managed to play as decently as possible, without compartmentalizing or manipulating people while laughing about it behind their backs, manages to win anyway. It doesn't happen very often, but it gives me hope when it does.

    And yes, I don't like Rob. I generally don't like people who get through life on what they believe to be their charm, their boyish grins, and their ability to use people without regret or remorse--and that's pretty much what Rob has based his reality show career on. I don't deny that and never have. I'm sure it does color my opinion of him and his game play. But so does the overwhelming love that some people have for him. For them, it doesn't matter what Rob does, it's somehow okay because it's game play or it's for his family or it's because he just wants to win the game he loves or it's because he could use the money just like anyone else, even though he's been far more blessed with opportunities to put aside some extra cash than most people who have only a non-reality show salary on which to rely. I don't care if people love Rob, just as I assume they don't care if I don't. But I do mind when the assumption is made that rational arguments like the fact that $650,000 is a lot of money (like ten years salary for someone earning $65,000 a year) and that it's not unreasonable to assume someone who has gotten that much prize money--and Rob and Amber have certainly gotten more, given everything else they've done--might be considered to have a certain degree of wealth unavailable to a lot of people are based solely on a dislike of Rob. Just because an argument doesn't work to Rob's advantage doesn't mean it can't be logical and must instead be based on jealousy or hatred or a stubborn unwillingness to see the wonder that is Rob. Just as those who would watch Rob do anything anywhere anytime feel they have reasonable arguments for feeling that way, so do those of us who don't.
    Last edited by Tilden; 05-05-2011 at 09:42 PM.

  3. #83
    FORT Fogey luvlady345's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sunny, South Carolina
    Posts
    1,136

    Re: 5/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Why can't Rob just want to win the game he LOVES playing what's wrong with that? OMG, why can't he just be human like the rest of us? He wants more money and the thrill of winning a game he LOVES.....

  4. #84
    Forum Assistant sweetpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,942

    Re: 5/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    I think Rob was a construction worker when he first applied to Survivor, so came from a pretty blue-collar work-hard kind of background. I think he's applying that to his reality show career as well, work hard, do what needs to be done, etc. I have never said he is perfect, just that I like him very much, have always enjoyed watching him play the game, and he makes me laugh. I honestly don't mind if people don't like him, and I do understand he's not to everyone's taste. That's fine by me. Whatever he does or is in the show, though, it's obvious he is a devoted husband and father, and that I definitely do like and give a big to.

  5. #85
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    833

    Re: 5/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I think Rob was a construction worker when he first applied to Survivor, so came from a pretty blue-collar work-hard kind of background. I think he's applying that to his reality show career as well, work hard, do what needs to be done, etc. I have never said he is perfect, just that I like him very much, have always enjoyed watching him play the game, and he makes me laugh. I honestly don't mind if people don't like him, and I do understand he's not to everyone's taste. That's fine by me. Whatever he does or is in the show, though, it's obvious he is a devoted husband and father, and that I definitely do like and give a big to.
    I love him ~ from the first moment I saw him on Survivor way back! His proposal to Amber on the runion show was so awesome, such a feel good show that was and she won the million. They are still together very happy and now have two baby girls. Now that's a real love story.
    Last edited by Gina28; 05-05-2011 at 10:18 PM.

  6. #86
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    797

    Re: 5/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Dingo View Post
    Andrea may be down, but not yet out. She still has a chance to come back from RI and possibly win this game.
    I hope she does! I am just shocked that these people are still not playing the game - I don't get it? Even more shocked that the strongest guy there is just not doing anything. This is the worst game ever.

  7. #87
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    797

    Re: 5/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    If after the 650,000 for Survivor, plus the Amber and Rob get married special, plus the Amazing Race appearance and all the photo spreads in magazines and the appearances they've made... after all that if they haven't managed to make a pretty good life for themselves, then Rob is definitely stupider than everyone wants to give him credit for.

    He said he wanted the money to make a better life for his family. Great. But most don't make that claim unless they are in actual need of it. He just wants more.

    I am not on the Rob love fest, I think he is has those stupid people exactly where he wants them and that is their fault not his. It just makes the game predictable and boring IMO. It seems that Rob and his family should have made some good money from all these reality stuff.

    Someone mentioned that if he were on the other team, he would have done the same thing. I disagree, he would have been history just like the other so called superstar. Members of the other team maybe gone but they were too smart for this kind of crap.

  8. #88
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,117

    Re: 5/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by atlMD View Post

    I am not on the Rob love fest, I think he is has those stupid people exactly where he wants them and that is their fault not his. It just makes the game predictable and boring IMO. It seems that Rob and his family should have made some good money from all these reality stuff.

    Someone mentioned that if he were on the other team, he would have done the same thing. I disagree, he would have been history just like the other so called superstar. Members of the other team maybe gone but they were too smart for this kind of crap.
    It's depressing. I find myself without a castaway to root for.

    It's true that if Rob had been on the Zap team, they would have sent him packing the same way they did Russell. At least they were thinking strategically, but you never NEVER throw a competition. That was stupid. They should have just waited until their next loss, then booted Russell if they didn't want him around. When they went into the downhill slide and got behind in numbers, they just laid down and let it happen. Pffft. Nobody to root for there.

    I've never been on the Rob love fest either, but at least he was playing strategically, and he was the only one. The rest of the tribe has the collective intelligence of a first grader playing following the leader. How hard is it, really, to lead this team? They're like puppies panting after Rob. I always root for the strategic players and not the passive followers, but Rob lost me last night with his little OTT spell at the II competition. It just set my teeth on edge. Can't root for him any more.

    So who's left? Maybe the RI returnee will bring some life back into the game. If not, I guess I'll have to root for Crazy Captain Pink Panties for the win. At least he's entertaining.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

  9. #89
    FORT Fogey Maybaybie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: 5/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    I am on the Rob love train- I will admit that, however I have to disagree that the other team would have also automatically booted him off as they did Russell. There is a key difference between Rob and Russell and that is charm and personality. Whether or not you like Rob or not, you have to admit that he didn't come into camp and bully his other tribemates. He didn't pick 2 others for an allliance that was outwardly obvious and alienate the rest. Rob started out as a team player and the others followed his lead because he had already done Survivor and they hadn't. It did eventually turn into him being the leader and them being followers and he used that and ran with it. I can't say whether the other team would've been such lemmings (I tend to think not, just due to their collective life experiences), but I don't think they would've hated Rob nearly as much as they hated Russell. And Russell did that to himself- he just wasn't likable- and he's always missed one integral part of Survivor which is the social game. He's never wanted to play that aspect and this time around was no different. Also hate Rob or not, he has kept his team united and even though he did it for his own self preservation I don't think anyone can say he is not a team player after getting 6 or his original team where they are now without throwing any of them under the bus.

  10. #90
    FORT Fogey mesachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    On my horse.
    Posts
    3,133

    Re: 5/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    What raised the reaction--or at least my reaction--was the comment that it was more about winning the game for Rob, that the million dollars was more of a perk than his main motive. If the argument is now that he wants more, then it can't be that winning the game of Survivor is his main motivation. I don't think simply winning the game is anyone's primary motivation, and I won't believe that until, as I said, they have a season where everyone's playing for a favorite charity. Even then, I suppose, they're really hoping to win the money, but not for themselves, and it takes a different kind of motivation to go through what people in Survivor go through for the sake of a cause than for money in the bank.

    Speaking of which, the other argument, that Rob and Amber really aren't wealthy perhaps has to do with people's perceptions of wealth. If they've earned more than $650,000 in, say, the last ten years, due to various competition/reality shows, and I think it's safe to say that they have, to a lot of people, that's quite a bit of money. Maybe not compared to what a film star or a sports star makes, but certainly a lot more than most middle class families have coming in, and they, too, are raising kids, making house payments, saving for college etc. If Rob and Amber weren't thinking ahead when they got that first $650,000 (plus whatever Rob got for second place) and weren't banking/investing a good share of it, then they really weren't thinking. If they did, then, barring a really bad loss in the stock market in 2008 (which a lot of people with less money than $650,000 to consider also suffered) they ought to have more of a nest egg set aside than a whole lot of people. If they weren't also working at other careers, and were depending primarily, if not solely, on their reality show careers/reputations for their livelihood (and I have no idea if they were or weren't), then they were making a choice not to look at that money as a prize but as a salary, and it was their choice not to try to supplement it with other work. In other words, if they need money now for college educations, a bigger house or whatever, because they didn't look at their winnings as extra money but as their primary source of income, perhaps that wasn't a wise decision and they need to recognize that (if that's what they did--I have no idea--I'm just trying to figure out a situation in which that $650,000 could be viewed as something other than a substantial windfall for a little over a month's effort).

    As for what's wrong with wanting more, I don't know how to react to that if that's what someone truly believes, except to say that there are people who don't believe that too, who think that at some point, wanting more becomes a problem because it can end up coming at the expense of other things and other people. Personally, it wouldn't be worth a million dollars to me to do Survivor, because of what you ultimately have to do to win the game, which is why it's always refreshing to me when someone who has managed to play as decently as possible, without compartmentalizing or manipulating people while laughing about it behind their backs, manages to win anyway. It doesn't happen very often, but it gives me hope when it does.

    And yes, I don't like Rob. I generally don't like people who get through life on what they believe to be their charm, their boyish grins, and their ability to use people without regret or remorse--and that's pretty much what Rob has based his reality show career on. I don't deny that and never have. I'm sure it does color my opinion of him and his game play. But so does the overwhelming love that some people have for him. For them, it doesn't matter what Rob does, it's somehow okay because it's game play or it's for his family or it's because he just wants to win the game he loves or it's because he could use the money just like anyone else, even though he's been far more blessed with opportunities to put aside some extra cash than most people who have only a non-reality show salary on which to rely. I don't care if people love Rob, just as I assume they don't care if I don't. But I do mind when the assumption is made that rational arguments like the fact that $650,000 is a lot of money (like ten years salary for someone earning $65,000 a year) and that it's not unreasonable to assume someone who has gotten that much prize money--and Rob and Amber have certainly gotten more, given everything else they've done--might be considered to have a certain degree of wealth unavailable to a lot of people are based solely on a dislike of Rob. Just because an argument doesn't work to Rob's advantage doesn't mean it can't be logical and must instead be based on jealousy or hatred or a stubborn unwillingness to see the wonder that is Rob. Just as those who would watch Rob do anything anywhere anytime feel they have reasonable arguments for feeling that way, so do those of us who don't.
    I couldn't disagree more with that comment.

    Take Russell for example. He went in to Survivor already a millionaire and has stated many many times, it's not about the money, it was about winning the game. Rob see's it in the same light as well. But he's not going to yank anyone's chain, the money at the end is a nice thing as well.

    As for people playing for charity... no way. Going through the hell that they go through for 30+ days, whomever wins deserves the money, plain and simple. There are plenty of other ways to be charitable. Outlasting, outwitting and outplaying on Survivor isn't going to be one of them. I wouldn't even watch if they did that TBH.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.