+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 5/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

To the Point

Re: 5/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Rob wouldn't quit last night because he knew all it would take would be those idiots having one lucid moment and his butt would have been on RI.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    sweetpea, girl, I hope it's the latter. I would love to see him finally win.

Me too - I love him!

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    Rob wouldn't quit last night because he knew all it would take would be those idiots having one lucid moment and his butt would have been on RI.
    Exactly!

I also think Amber is very supportive of Rob. I think especially so since she knows what this game means to Rob. I'm also in the camp that it's not about the money for Rob. He wants to win. The money is just a bonus. And I highly doubt they are millionaires. It's been seven years since Amber won All Stars. She may have invested some for the future, but I doubt they are still living high on the hog from that money. Yeah, they've picked up some cash here and there for public appearances and other endeavors but I doubt it's been enough to make them rich...comfortable maybe, but not rich.

The point where Rob and Russel differ for me is...Russel disliked everyone and I don't think he cared about anyone...even his alliances. Rob seems to actually like people...but he can compartmentalize his like for them and their threat within the game. When he's comforted people in his tribe, sure he was thinking three steps ahead about how that would endear him if he makes it to the finals, but I also see the compassion he has for them. Like Natalie last night. He was very sweet to her and I think he meant every encouraging word he said. I think he even likes Philip on some level. He thinks he is crazy, but he's always kind to him.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fogey

I'll believe Rob--or anyone else--is in this game not because he/she cares about the money but because he/she just wants to win when the game is played so that the million dollars goes to the charity of the winner's choice.

As a matter of fact, I wouldn't mind an all-stars season that did that.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    After taxes Amber probably ended up with around $650,000 or less. If they were smart they invested for their future and probably bought a home and a couple of cars. They are not millionaires.

I agree about Philip. His PIs would expose this act. He would be proud of his ability to act crazy. He is just as crazy in them.
    If after the 650,000 for Survivor, plus the Amber and Rob get married special, plus the Amazing Race appearance and all the photo spreads in magazines and the appearances they've made... after all that if they haven't managed to make a pretty good life for themselves, then Rob is definitely stupider than everyone wants to give him credit for.

He said he wanted the money to make a better life for his family. Great. But most don't make that claim unless they are in actual need of it. He just wants more.

FORT Fan

Haven't the Omes been pretty much winning or controlling the game since BEFORE the merge? So Rob has had no need to play the II. I'm not sure that will be counted against him, when he helped the team successfully trounce the Zaps so early on.

If he does pull out the II, I think the jury may see it as one more sign that Rob has played the game very well.

Not a Rob lover, but he really has done well this time.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    If after the 650,000 for Survivor, plus the Amber and Rob get married special, plus the Amazing Race appearance and all the photo spreads in magazines and the appearances they've made... after all that if they haven't managed to make a pretty good life for themselves, then Rob is definitely stupider than everyone wants to give him credit for.

He said he wanted the money to make a better life for his family. Great. But most don't make that claim unless they are in actual need of it. He just wants more.
    Actually, it was "appearances" on AR--weren't they on twice? And four times now on Survivor? Plus the wedding special etc. Wasn't there also some show where Rob played competitive poker?

Even if all they ever earned was that single $650,000, that would be ten years of a $65,000 a year salary on top of whatever else they could make in whatever jobs they had. It's hard to feel like that's not quite a bit. If it doesn't make them millionaires, it sure makes them a lot better off than a lot of middle class families. Even if they used the whole thing to buy a house...well, how many young families can pay cash outright for a house, and a pretty nice one at that? I don't know what the price of a house is in Rob and Amber's neighborhood, but you can get quite a nice, large house for that around here.

Anybody who wins the show once or even comes in second or wins fan favorite ends up with more in the way of a cash prize than a lot of people make in a year for playing a game--admittedly, a grueling one--for a little over a month. It's hard to worry unduly about whether they have to pay significant taxes on that money and only make $650,000 on a $1,000,000 prize.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post

What on earth is wrong with wanting more?! You just dont like Rob and that is okay.

I think another downfall of RI is that the people currently still there do not have the opportunity to sit in on the TribalCouncils and hear what is going on as most jury members do. A lot of information is passed around during these (I hear they are sometimes several hours long) and those currently hanging out at RI aren't getting to hear any of what is said.

Count me as one who would love for Rob to make it to the finals not having had to play his HII. I think when he plays it the other Ometepes will be a little irritated that he's kept that secret throughout the whole game. It has also surprised me that none of the other ones have even mentioned going to look for it, because clearly they don't know Rob has it. Even Grant and Philip who know he got a clue (and he even showed the clue to Grant) haven't mentioned it (at least on camera) since the Volcano Reward. I also think it would be very cool to see Rob hold it up at the Final TC and tell everyone how long he has had it and that he never felt the need to play it and he still made it to the finals without the help of the HII.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    What on earth is wrong with wanting more?! You just dont like Rob and that is okay.
    Nothing. Especially since they were childless when they participated in all these other endeavors. Now they have two little girls to provide for...clothing, education, college....heck..who wouldn't want a little extra money for that rainy day?
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

+ Reply to Thread