+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 5/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 5/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Well, that's the basis of Celebrity Aprentice and the competitors there are pretty cutthroat.
    I didn't comment on their viciousness or lack thereof, I said I want them to be playing for all the marbles. Not for giving all the marbles to someone else. Everyone has a different personal charity, and charities they are less partial to, and I would lost interest pretty quickly if all the money was being funnelled towards a charity that I don't have any respect for.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Well, that's the basis of Celebrity Aprentice and the competitors there are pretty cutthroat.
    Yeah but they are celebrities and have a reputation to consider as well. Of course they want to win. I don't think we'll ever see a celebrity Survivor show. Most of them wouldn't last a week without their stylist/nutritionist/personal assistant, etc.

I don't watch CA religiously, but from what I've seen, some celebs are cutthroat while others are not (kind of the same as on Survivor), and I think that just has more to do with the individual's nature than with the prize. Most do the show in the hopes of both increasing their (usually fading) celebrity profile, as well as raising money for their pet charities (although some have enough of their own money that they could, and maybe do, donate an equal amount as well), and almost all of them have enough money that an additional 1MM wouldn't impact their overall lifestyle all that much anyway, if at all, unlike how it would probably affect most Survivor participants. Which is why you're not going to find a lot of average "non-rich" folks willing to go on "Survivor for Charity".

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden
    Just because an argument doesn't work to Rob's advantage doesn't mean it can't be logical and must instead be based on jealousy or hatred or a stubborn unwillingness to see the wonder that is Rob. Just as those who would watch Rob do anything anywhere anytime feel they have reasonable arguments for feeling that way, so do those of us who don't.
    Nice.

I think it's humorous that a lot of this started because I was just saying that most people who make the "I want the money" do it because they really need it, but Rob is doing it to get more.

I NEVER stated that there was anything wrong with that. I just wanted to point out he doesn't need it and it was unusual to hear it from him. On the other hand, Julie does need it, but we didn't hear of it until she was voted out. It wasn't a judgement statement. Just an observation.

Here is another thing. I like Rob, always have. I just don't like him in this season but it has EVERYthing to do with the how the show is running. Normally witty and charming, he's a bore this season to me. Also, I hate the advantage he was given by coming into a cast of newbies after having played the game four times. Add to that that Jeff has a major love interest in him and it all makes me kind of ill.
    I don't blame Rob for it... Jeff, the producers, everything else that has added up to this season being the worst I have ever seen. (I've never missed ONE episode... LIVE!) Rob is a part of it, and the beneficiary of it, and I hate this season, so Rob goes with that. I should also note that I don't think Rob saying the money was important to him would have even registered with me if it hadn't been shortly followed in the next segment with Jeff orgasmically yelling "Rob is literally carrying his family on his back!" Squee Jeff, really. It all adds up.

One final thing. I think that people should play the game for whatever reason they like. For the money, just to win, for a charity... whatever. It's their game, and if they win, it's their money. Why shouldn't they do with it what they like?
    I don't like to see people favoured for "being in need" or "playing for a charity" but I don't think it should be held against them, either. Just make it a level playing field and leave it at that.
    Last edited by spockwhat; 05-06-2011 at 04:21 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Nice.

I think it's humorous that a lot of this started because I was just saying that most people who make the "I want the money" do it because they really need it, but Rob is doing it to get more.

I NEVER stated that there was anything wrong with that. I just wanted to point out he doesn't need it and it was unusual to hear it from him. On the other hand, Julie does need it, but we didn't hear of it until she was voted out. It wasn't a judgement statement. Just an observation.

Here is another thing. I like Rob, always have. I just don't like him in this season but it has EVERYthing to do with the how the show is running. Normally witty and charming, he's a bore this season to me. Also, I hate the advantage he was given by coming into a cast of newbies after having played the game four times. Add to that that Jeff has a major love interest in him and it all makes me kind of ill.
    I don't blame Rob for it... Jeff, the producers, everything else that has added up to this season being the worst I have ever seen. (I've never missed ONE episode... LIVE!) Rob is a part of it, and the beneficiary of it, and I hate this season, so Rob goes with that. I should also note that I don't think Rob saying the money was important to him would have even registered with me if it hadn't been shortly followed in the next segment with Jeff orgasmically yelling "Rob is literally carrying his family on his back!" Squee Jeff, really. It all adds up.

One final thing. I think that people should play the game for whatever reason they like. For the money, just to win, for a charity... whatever. It's their game, and if they win, it's their money. Why shouldn't they do with it what they like?
    I don't like to see people favoured for "being in need" or "playing for a charity" but I don't think it should be held against them, either. Just make it a level playing field and leave it at that.
    ICAM. And the bolded has me laughing hysterically. It was truly one for the highlights reel.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

Maybe my memory is bad, but did Rob specifically say the money was important to him, or did he go on and on in some other way about needing it? All I remember is a comment when discussing how badly he wants to win, that he also wants to provide a better life for his family, which is pretty much the goal of every loving husband and father, isn't it? I guess I just didn't read as much into this standard throwaway line (IMO) as others did regarding Rob's primary intentions for doing the show. And he said it privately, not to his tribemates, so he's not looking for sympathy from the jury either.

Keep in mind, we don't know for sure that Rob doesn't need the money as well as the title. It is possible that he and Amber invested the $$ and may have lost some, a lot, or even the majority of it when the economy tanked, or when the bottom dropped out of the housing market, etc. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think it's necessary to reveal the extent of your financial situation, and I don't think, as has been pointed out above, it should matter to the outcome one way or the other. We've had people a lot richer than Rob go on the show (Russell, Jimmy Johnson, Taj are some that come to mind) and we've had those who are probably worse of and struggling (Jane, Julie who was losing her house, etc). Rob didn't say he was broke, he just said he wanted to provide for his family. That's what most husbands and fathers want.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    Rob and Russell drew their team out of a bag. They were not assigned. It was a chance pick.
    If Russell and Rob switched teams, i'm sure that Rob would have been gone from Zapatera just as early as Russell did. Russell on the other hand may have lasted a little longer in Omatepe but i'm not sure if he would have lasted longer than Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    If Russell and Rob switched teams, i'm sure that Rob would have been gone from Zapatera just as early as Russell did. Russell on the other hand may have lasted a little longer in Omatepe but i'm not sure if he would have lasted longer than Rob.
    Have you read Steve's interview reagrding of Rob would have been on Zap would he have beeen voted off as fast as Russell was? He answered that he didn't think Rob would have been and then he went on to explain why...Russell/Rob are 2 different people therefore peole are going to react different to them in any given situation....

Quote Originally Posted by luvlady345 View Post
    Have you read Steve's interview reagrding of Rob would have been on Zap would he have beeen voted off as fast as Russell was? He answered that he didn't think Rob would have been and then he went on to explain why...Russell/Rob are 2 different people therefore peole are going to react different to them in any given situation....
    I can see that easily. Rob and Russell are different people. Russell rubbed people the wrong way immediately. Rob has yet to rub anyone the wrong way on either tribe.

+ Reply to Thread