+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 4/13 Show Thread **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 4/13 Show Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Probably because he knows that, "strong" alliance or not, weak-minded people can easily be talked into or away from things. One way to prevent that? Keep them away from those who will whisper ideas into their shell-like ears.
    I know why Rob's doing it--it just makes no sense to me that if these are grown, thinking adults that they'd go along with it. We're in total agreement that his alliance, with the possible exception of Andrea, appears to be made up of weak-willed people. My point was that if they are grown adults who are planning to get rid of Rob eventually, they'd be thinking more than they are about all possible options and they wouldn't just listen to Rob and do his bidding. They should recognize that Rob not wanting them to talk to anyone else about the game is more to Rob's benefit than their own, but they don't.

I don't like that Rob is suddenly the leader of his own mindless gang which makes the show utterly predictable, but I also can't believe that his gang is so utterly and completely mindless. It's scary that people would be so willing to give up control over whom they talk to and about what they can speak for a one in six chance at a million without even considering that it's not their only, or even possibly their best, shot.

Rob is just cracking me up! Would be a boring season without him that's for sure. The buddy system idea was another genius one on his part. He just wants to make sure that no one on his tribe flips, and it's working. The whole hand holding thing, I don't know why anyone is taking that seriously. To me it was an obvious joke, and it made me giggle all that much more. He also didn't tell the girls that they couldn't go to the bathroom alone, she said she had to go pee after they buddied up, and the other girl (sorry names escape me this morning) said she had to pee too. It's not like they walked back in to camp holding hands lol.

Rob is clearly enjoying his run this season, and I'm enjoying watching it!

I wasn't really surprised that Ometepe didn't stay out of the challenge (except for Phil). That's not how Rob plays. He there's to take on every challenge, and apparently his tribemates feel the same way. The fish thing, I understand where Rob was coming from with that too, as he doesn't want anyone to feel like they owe anything to the Zap's because they shared their fish. I also don't think the Rob's tribe are mindless. They know Rob will get them to the final six, and without him, the numbers would most likely have been reversed with Ometepe getting voted off one by one.

I don't mind seeing the Zapetera members getting voted out, all except for David. I haven't liked them since they threw the challenge to get rid of Russell. Looking back, they've suffered ever since.

Sad to see David go. He might be the one that finally outs Matt for good.
    Last edited by mesachick; 04-14-2011 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    Rob is just cracking me up! Would be a boring season without him that's for sure. The buddy system idea was another genius one on his part. He just wants to make sure that no one on his tribe flips, and it's working. The whole hand holding thing, I don't know why anyone is taking that seriously. To me it was an obvious joke, and it made me giggle all that much more. He also didn't tell the girls that they couldn't go to the bathroom alone, she said she had to go pee after they buddied up, and the other girl (sorry names escape me this morning) said she had to pee too. It's not like they walked back in to camp holding hands lol.

Rob is clearly enjoying his run this season, and I'm enjoying watching it!

I wasn't really surprised that Ometepe didn't stay out of the challenge (except for Phil). That's not how Rob plays. He there's to take on every challenge, and apparently his tribemates feel the same way. The fish thing, I understand where Rob was coming from with that too, as he doesn't want anyone to feel like they owe anything to the Zap's because they shared their fish.

Sad to see David go. He might be the one that finally outs Matt for good.
    As far as why all the Ometepes didn't sit out the challenge, keep in mind that the decision of whether or not to do so had to be made by each immediately and independent of any discussion (probably with good reason). If they were able to talk amongst themselves and make a group decision to all sit it out and get some protein, all the while rubbing their enjoyment in the Zaps' faces a little bit (further demoralization and bonding moment), and maybe even pretending to talk some strategy to really screw with the Zaps' heads, I think Rob might have suggested it. However, as the option was structured, nobody but crazy Phillip was going to risk not looking like a team player in front of their fellow tribemates.

Talk about whether the Ometepes have become a cult is premature. Right now it is in all of their best interests to remain extremely tight and ignore the Zaps' attempts to disrupt things, and Rob's methods make it easier to do that, plus it seems like they are having a good time with each other (at the other tribe's expense of course). If things don't change once all the Zaps are gone, and we see no talk of taking Rob out at that point, I'll concede that Rob has gotten them to drink the koolaid.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat View Post
    As far as why all the Ometepes didn't sit out the challenge, keep in mind that the decision of whether or not to do so had to be made by each immediately and independent of any discussion (probably with good reason). If they were able to talk amongst themselves and make a group decision to all sit it out and get some protein, all the while rubbing their enjoyment in the Zaps' faces a little bit (further demoralization and bonding moment), and maybe even pretending to talk some strategy to really screw with the Zaps' heads, I think Rob might have suggested it. However, as the option was structured, nobody but crazy Phillip was going to risk not looking like a team player in front of their fellow tribemates.

Talk about whether the Ometepes have become a cult is premature. Right now it is in all of their best interests to remain extremely tight and ignore the Zaps' attempts to disrupt things, and Rob's methods make it easier to do that, plus it seems like they are having a good time with each other (at the other tribe's expense of course). If things don't change once all the Zaps are gone, and we see no talk of taking Rob out at that point, I'll concede that Rob has gotten them to drink the koolaid.
    While most of the tribe members seem happy to ride Rob's coattails until the Zap tribe is reduced, I sensed that Grant isn't so willing to follow Rob's commands. Grant is an extremely strong challenge player and will become a threat once there are few Zap members left. He better start considering an alliance of his own w/o Rob, as you can bet that Rob doesn't want him around much longer than necessary. Rob keeps his friends close, but his enemies closer. Look how he's reigned Phillip in to do exactly what he tells him to, even tho Phillip protests that he's following Rob's every command.

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo47 View Post
    While most of the tribe members seem happy to ride Rob's coattails until the Zap tribe is reduced, I sensed that Grant isn't so willing to follow Rob's commands. Grant is an extremely strong challenge player and will become a threat once there are few Zap members left. He better start considering an alliance of his own w/o Rob, as you can bet that Rob doesn't want him around much longer than necessary. Rob keeps his friends close, but his enemies closer. Look how he's reigned Phillip in to do exactly what he tells him to, even tho Phillip protests that he's following Rob's every command.
    If that is Grant's plan, for his sake I hope he is very good at "stealth", because as the numbers stand now, he is going to have to rein in one of the Ometepes (and choose one who will not immediately go running back to Rob), and then approach the Zaps in the utmost secrecy (not sure if I would trust Ralph to keep his yap shut), all without giving Rob even a whiff of something shady happening. Cause if he does, he's going out at 9. Not sure that is a better risk to take than waiting until they are down to 6, and hoping that some of the other Ometepes already have the same idea about overthrowing Rob. Not to mention that being in the minority of a 5 person alliance is not much of a better situation than where he will stand within his own present alliance.

And of course, all potential strategic moves have to take into account that at some unknown point somebody is returning from RI, and how that may f**k with everybody's best laid plans.
    Last edited by ironcat; 04-14-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    My skin is crawling too. He's controlling to whom they speak, and the topics they're allowed to address. He's never allowing any of them to be alone, for fear of whom they may speak to and what they may tell them (or what may be said to them). He's telling them whether they can eat something or not. The tiniest sign of dissension--Andrea merely listening to Ralph in a situation where she didn't have much choice and being completely non-commital in her answer, which Rob only heard about second hand--and he's paranoid. Constantly speaking in demeaning terms about the other players whenever he's alone and speaking just to the camera (and I realize everyone does that to some degree, but Rob's superiority complex--referring to himself as a general and Phillip proving himself to be a good, loyal soldier--is getting out of hand; really, what was the point of getting everyone to agree to name the tribe after Amber's stuffed animal, other than to get a cheap laugh at their expense and build his fame with his own fans? It's not like it advanced his game in any way).

It's creepy that Rob's behaving like that and it's creepy that his tribe is going along with it so easily. Even if they think sticking with his plan can get them to the final, they have to know he's not taking all of them. He can't. Some of them probably have some idea that they wouldn't be a logical person to take to the top. And wouldn't it be a strong arguing point in the finale to be able to say that you engineered Rob's demise, blindsided him, and destroyed his alliance? At some point, someone should take a chance. Heck, someone should just rebel because he/she doesn't like Rob telling him/her when he/she can breathe in and out. That's not normal, and I doubt he could have gotten by with it in the other tribe, where there are too many strong personalities who would have told him, "No, I'm not 'buddying up' like I'm four, and I am going to the bathroom alone, because you are not controlling my every action.'" It's sad--and scary--to watch people give up any sense of their own independence just for the chance to win a million, and really, while their chances are greater than most people's to win a million, they're not that overwhelming. At least in a real cult, the "prize" is generally salvation, and it's available to more than one person. I really, really wonder how his minions are going to feel about Rob, and more importantly, themselves when this season is over.
    I agree. Rob reminded me this eposide why I didn't like him in the past seasons he was on.
    One thing I really noticed was how much this season has changed from past seasons, and not for the better. They are supposed to be merged into one tribe yet they barely allowed to speak to each other. It's more like 2 tribes living on one beach. Should have just kept the original tribe names. They built the shelters together yet Rob and his sheep won't even allow the Zaps to sleep in the same area, they had to have their own shelter area. Rob doesn't even allow his members to eat at the same time as the Zaps, WTH????? This season has just gotten really weird and creepy. I know all about alliances and how they work but sheesh ever heard about being polite.

I didn't mind last night's episode at all. I kind of wonder if Rob talking about the hidden immunity idol being his downfall the last time he played was foreshadowing of things to come. If one of the Zapateras finds a hidden immunity idol, they may be able to blindside him so long as he doesn't suspect that they have it.

Also, I have to admit I giggled at both tribal councils when Phillip's feather bonked on the ceiling as he was going to vote. You'd think he would have figured it out after it happened the first time.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Add me to the list of those who things went into cult territory last night. After the show, I felt uncomfortable with what I saw happening. Not only did the cultists give up control of the basics (bathroom breaks, no solitude, eating), but every step Rob can push them into obeying seems to convince him even more that he has total control. I used to like Rob - now, he scares me. JMO.
    Either these people are so immature they can't think for themselves or there is huge editing to make Rob look like he is smarter then he is. He is an egotistical jerk and always has been. He is always bragging and degrading others in his private time with the camera. That gets old, especially when he is playing with immature controllable kids, controlling a bunch of immature (not too smart) people don't make him a genius. He has been on this show so many times he should be able to do it blindfolded.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    When did Rob give his tribe the kool-aid? It's obvious they all drank it! Holy Cow, I cannot believe how readily they are led, and to what degree!! The way the girls act with him just makes me want to puke. It made my skin crawl watching them work so hard to please Rob.
    I know, bad form quoting myself, however, I forgot to mention that I actually like Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    When did Rob give his tribe the kool-aid? It's obvious they all drank it! Holy Cow, I cannot believe how readily they are led, and to what degree!! The way the girls act with him just makes me want to puke. It made my skin crawl watching them work so hard to please Rob.
    Rob has gone from leader to dictator...and you always know what happens when people get fed up with the dictator....they revolt
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

+ Reply to Thread