+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 4/13 Show Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 4/13 Show Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Actually, it wouldn't take all that much interference, so to speak, to prevent--or at least provide opportunities to diminish--the kind of control Rob is exerting. I don't think they ever could prevent it entirely, but they could make anyone trying to use such strategy work harder than Rob has had to in order to make it work. Much of what they've done in past seasons would help, such as having reward challenges where a few people are separated from the rest at a time. Such challenges often also made pecking orders a little clearer. Sometimes they constructed challenges that revealed pecking orders as well. They could also move the merged tribe to an entirely new location and take away previously earned items that belonged to individual tribes, replacing them with things that pretty much had to be shared--one shelter with a tarp over the whole thing, for instance. I didn't get to see the merge episode, but did they do the usual group feast or did people stay divided for that too?

Most importantly, they could be more careful of how they cast. There must be some pretty people out there who aren't total sheep--and casting people who aren't "pretty" but are smart and/or interesting would be a nice change too. They could also save the idea for returning former players to all star seasons or use them as rewards---win a rewards challenge and you have a choice of, say, spending time with a family member or meeting with someone who's played the game well and might be able to offer some useful advice. Or use someone like Rob or Russell as the challenger in a RI situation---you have to keep beating an established player to have a chance to get back in the game. Of course, the rules for RI would have to change then, and it would only work if they decide to keep the RI idea around past this season, but it would be a way to incorporate more experienced players without throwing newbies in with people who've played the game two or three times.

They need to at least try and develop scenarios where there is more potential for flipping and drama. I assume they thought that's what would happen when they brought back Russell and Rob, but it's failed rather badly, and if you look at the responses to Jeff's latest blog, there are plenty of posters unhappy with the way this season has been going, because it's too predictable for their tastes. It's impossible to know how many people are really represented by on-line opinions, but I'd think the show's producers would pay attention to a significant number of complaints about the show becoming dull and predictable and/or a one person show. That's another thing they could do better--they could edit so that so many PIs weren't devoted to one or two people (Rob, Phillip), even if they think they're the funniest or the most popular or the strangest or whatever. It's difficult to know what's going on in all the players' minds with regard to strategy (if anything is) if we see so few of them. I've had a terrible time even remembering some players' names simply because we see so little of them. That also gives some players a huge advantage in the fan favorite competition. If fans can't remember players' names, they're certainly not going to vote for them.
    I suspect for every poster who dislikes Rob and is complaining about what a predictable season this has become, there is another sitting at home cheering Rob on and laughing at his shenanigans. For some, predictable is not always boring. (And with the number of people who follow spoilers, and are disappointed there aren't any this season, unpredictability is not required by everyone to enjoy the show, apparently.) It is also too soon to tell how predictable or unpredictable this season will become once all the Zaps are gone (if they are gone) AND once the winner of RI returns, whoever and whenever that may be. And regardless, the endgame is certainly not predictable, as nobody seems to have a clue how the F6 will devour each other.

Pagonging has not happened on this show for many seasons. In the early seasons it happened repeatedly, until the producers found ways to encourage flipping by incorporating tribal switches, challenges that reveal the pecking order, and "buddy rewards", and through trial and error, participants figured out how to strategize flips and pull them off successfully. I don't think the lack of flipping is this time is so much a result of not including those "forced" elements or bad casting, but because Rob knows how to engineer things to his advantage, and as has been repeatedly pointed out, his current alliance would be no better served by attempting to flip at this point in the game, even if they were the smartest, most strategic bunch in the world. I think this season when they introduced the RI twist (which I personally hope they DO NOT repeat), the producers expected that to provide all the shakeups and unpredictability the game needed, and it still might (and the first time it came into play, it did provide one of the most compelling blindsides the show has ever seen), so they didn't feel it necessary to do a tribal switch as well (when was the last season they used one anyway?). And because there are no more reward challenges due to RI, there is no place to introduce some of the other elements I mentioned to promote flipping.

I find it funny that after one "predictable" episode, some people are throwing their hands up at how boring the season is. A week and a half ago, when Matt was about to come back into the game, everyone was singing a different tune. Oh well.
    Last edited by ironcat; 04-16-2011 at 01:21 PM.

I'm still unclear why anyone thinks that pagonging Zapatera is ONLY in Rob's best interest right now...the rest of his tribe would be idiots to flip right now and go with the Zapatera members. First of all, if they risk a Z. getting to the FTC, they will have a good chance of winning the $$ and also, if they betray their own tribe right now they will risk having bitter O. members sitting on the jury. Staying the course till it's just the Omatepe tribe makes sense for all the Omatepes right now. They can start betraying each other after all the Zapatera's are gone. At that point I am pretty confident they will make a move on Rob, and I'd be surprised if he doesn't anticipate it. He knows it is coming, because it is what he would do. At this point, with a jury made up of a lot of Zap members, the other Omatepes are sitting pretty because if they do outwit Rob and get him out, they will gain the respect of the Zap jury members, and probably some Omatepes as well. It would be very foolish for anyone to flip at this point, so I see them agreeing with Rob's plan because it's good for them as much as it is for him.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat View Post
    I doubt she is at all concerned about it; I think she is very secure in knowing that Rob is totally and completely over the moon about her (giving her secret shoutouts on air!), and she also gets that it's part of the game for him, particularly since she played it twice herself. People are entitled to detest Rob all they want, but it seems pretty obvious to me that he and Amber have a wonderful and solid marriage, and he is by all indications a very loving husband.
    I didn't express myself clearly---I'm not saying Amber would be upset with Rob--as you say, she knows the game, AND he's doing a good job of sending her affection via the PIs---just guessing she won't be that fond of Natalie and Ashley after all this is over.

Re the flipping--I think a lot depends on who comes back from RI... If it is Matt I think Andrea might decide it is time to make her move... Rob can hardly tell Matt not to talk to remaining 3 on the other team.... Andrea, Matt, and the last 3 = 5, and there will only be 5 on Rob's team, if I"ve counted right. Surely there is one more person there who senses they will not be in the F3 with Rob, or that if they are and Rob is still around it's all over and Rob wins (and they aren't willing to settle for 2nd or 3rd place $$). Then the question is whether Andrea reverts to her original team and continues the Pagonging, or if the "new" subteam sticks together and wipes out the loyalists. I'd expect the latter, for a while at least.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I'm still unclear why anyone thinks that pagonging Zapatera is ONLY in Rob's best interest right now...the rest of his tribe would be idiots to flip right now and go with the Zapatera members. First of all, if they risk a Z. getting to the FTC, they will have a good chance of winning the $$ and also, if they betray their own tribe right now they will risk having bitter O. members sitting on the jury. Staying the course till it's just the Omatepe tribe makes sense for all the Omatepes right now. They can start betraying each other after all the Zapatera's are gone. At that point I am pretty confident they will make a move on Rob, and I'd be surprised if he doesn't anticipate it. He knows it is coming, because it is what he would do. At this point, with a jury made up of a lot of Zap members, the other Omatepes are sitting pretty because if they do outwit Rob and get him out, they will gain the respect of the Zap jury members, and probably some Omatepes as well. It would be very foolish for anyone to flip at this point, so I see them agreeing with Rob's plan because it's good for them as much as it is for him.
    Thank you for the great points. Any Ometepe member would be stupid to flip because of possible future jury votes but to be honest I think Rob is the only one thinking that. Still it will be fun to see what happens when Ometepe turns on itself.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

When is the jury going to start??? At this rate all the Z's will be gone before it begins to form!

Yes, did they merge early? Or does it seem weird because we currently have three people sitting at RI waiting to battle each other. Winner stays at RI and the other two go home? Or does one make it to the jury?

This season is confusing. I really don't like RI any more than the outcast season.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I liked the RI concept at first, but now I'm bored with it. I think Matt should have re-entered the game, and that should have been it. Why bother going through the motions again? It's kind of disappointing at this stage to think that someone who got voted off may wind up making the finals and totally flipping a last minute alliances numbers by re-joining the game. Obviously Rob's merry band of minions will wind up getting voted off one by one and will no doubt be bitter. Or at least I hope they're bitter and aren't expecting it without doing something about it.

I do hope the RI twist is a one season thing. I don't really mind Matt referring to God so much, although he certainly said a mouth full when he said he's naive. He's a good kid, and I saw no reason to vote him off the first time. I was hoping he'd get to stick around, at least make the jury. Hopefully he gets that, but I have a feeling Mike and David will be bigger competition for him than previous cast offs.

Phillips is I don't know what kind of crazy, but I can't wait for the reunion show to see if this guy is for real or not. I hope Probst doesn't spend all his time on Russell.
    Last edited by karalott; 04-17-2011 at 04:03 AM.

FORT Fogey

I am not sure yet if RI is an interesting addition. Hindsight will answer that question.

I understand why Matt was voted out the first time. He was forming a couple alliance and Rob knows how powerful that can be from his own experience. When he rejoined the game it was even clearer that he had to go again!

The merge happened too soon from where I sit.

Since I enjoy Rob, his relationship with Philip and Philip's insanity the next couple of weeks will be entertaining, for me, as the rest of Zap gets the boot. In any other season this would be boring.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    I am not sure yet if RI is an interesting addition. Hindsight will answer that question.

I understand why Matt was voted out the first time. He was forming a couple alliance and Rob knows how powerful that can be from his own experience. When he rejoined the game it was even clearer that he had to go again!

The merge happened too soon from where I sit.

Since I enjoy Rob, his relationship with Philip and Philip's insanity the next couple of weeks will be entertaining, for me, as the rest of Zap gets the boot. In any other season this would be boring.
    I think if I was a die hard Rob fan, I might enjoy this season more. But I'm not, so the season is becoming dull for me. It is a huge improvement over last season, but I hope this doesn't start a trend where they bring back two well known contestants every season and make up some fake rivalry between them to justify them being there. However, at least Rob is playing the game. Phillip should be an interesting character at the reunion show. I wonder if he'll realize people are laughing at him, not with him. I don't like that people have just latched onto Rob and are playing follow the leader. It's what I've grown tired of these last few seasons. Someone plays the game, does all the backstabbing and dirty work, and whoever was able to ride their coattails the longest wins

I'm not really a Ralph fan anymore, though I do hope he keeps the pressure on the Ometepe (sp?) tribe and make some of them realize where they might really stand. Either way people are going to be screwed no matter who they side with.

I understood Rob's strategy in voting Matt out the first time, even if I didn't think it was a smart move. And Matt did himself in the second time, though I still think he would have been a better asset to have around. I just like the guy I do agree the merge seemed to happen earlier than normal. I wonder if the producers wanted to ensure certain contestants were around for drama purposes, or if RI had anything to do with it

I wonder what would have happened had the merge not occurred and had Matt gone to the Z tribe upon his return. That might have been more interesting. Had the O tribe lost a challenge and had to make a vote out it might have swung things differently.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

+ Reply to Thread