+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite / Least Favorite Seasons?

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Favorite / Least Favorite Seasons?

My top three favorites are:

Pearl Islands
    Vanuatu
    Palau

Don't have a bottom three but near the bottom are:

Marquesas (pretty boring)
    Fiji (for two big reasons)
    All Stars
    Amazon
    Samoa

Yours?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Favorite / Least Favorite Seasons?

My favorite will always be the first one because it was all so new. I watched because I actually thought it was about surviving! And then Richard Hatch with his brilliant manipulation of the final 3 situation (and his teammates earlier) showed me what it was really about.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Favorites:

Borneo: For being the original. Having a non-model looking cast full of everyday folks and the majority hailed from outside Los Angeles. Providing some memorable moments and contestants (Rich, Greg and his coconut phone, Sean and his ABC voting strategy/bowling alley/fishing pole that caught nothing, Rudy, Gervase beating river guide Kelly in a rowing challenge) and of course coining the phrase "Pagonged" and leaving viewers to ask each season who will give the Sue Hawk jury speech, and setting up the game plan that continues to this day. The new Richard's have gotten lucky that most people are too dumb or lazy to play the game and will just latch onto them for the ride.

Fans vs Favorites: Even though I don't know if half of the favorites qualified as such, or if any of the fans truly were. But even though she's perhaps one of my least favorites ever, I love that Parvati came back with a plan and changed her strategy. At least someone learned something. I usually hate quitters, but Kathy was pointless out there, and my only regret is Tracy got saddled trying to save her and Chet only to have them both wimp out on her. However, seeing the cocky Mikey and Joel go down pre-merge was great, as were the blindsides, Amanda secretly finding the idol, and what I consider the biggest blunder ever, Erik giving up his immunity to Natalie when he was pretty much in the final 3. Not my favorite cast ever, but the rest made up for it.

Guatemala: I feel like this is treated as the evil step child of Survivor by the producers.

Honorable mentions go to Africa, Amazon, and China

Least Favorites:

Palau: It looked to be a great season on paper. But kicking two people off for not getting picked to be on a tribe was low, plus Ulong losing every challenge, despite looking stronger than their opposing tribe (if there was ever a season that needed a tribe switch, this was it). Ian wimping out on the last challenge so he could have friendship over a million was also pathetic. I do give kudos to Angie for showing she was a much stronger physical player than she looked.

Fiji: See the above. The only highlight was seeing something interesting happening when Edgardo was blindsided. And of course Yau-Man.

Exile Island: I never understood the point of having 4 tribes for just one episode. Predictable that the older women got picked off first and Cirie only got spared due to cracks forming in her new tribe. Bruce was cool, Courtney was crazy, Shane was crazy in a good way. Didn't like Terry and enjoyed seeing his tribe lose continually, since he obviously thought he was Mr. Cool in charge. Other than that, a bland season of boring personalities, uninteresting challenges, little game play, boring drama, boring scenery, and anything else I forgot obviously didn't leave and impression, either.

Honorable mentions: Thailand, the first AS, and Gabon

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4185554;
    My favorite will always be the first one because it was all so new. I watched because I actually thought it was about surviving! And then Richard Hatch with his brilliant manipulation of the final 3 situation (and his teammates earlier) showed me what it was really about.
    Me, too! I remember my husband and I couldn't wait for Thursday night to roll around to see what would happen next. Remember Gretchen, the former Air Force Survival Trainer? She thought it was about survival, too--I remember she said if she had known what it was really going to be like, she would never have done it. Colleen was my favorite, with her endearing smile, hat, and brown bikini!

I also liked the fact that the winner was revealed right then and there, while they were still skinny, exhausted, and maxed out. It's just not the same seeing them heavier, wearing nice clothes and makeup. Oh well, the Season One gets my vote!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Season 1 will always be my favorite.
    For me, nothing else compares.
    We just get too many reality show wannabees playing to the cameras
    these days. I still watch from time to time, but now it just seems overly manipulated.
    I do think Richard will always stand out for me, as he realized, early on, the importance of an alliance and a social game.
    Both Russell and Rob should spend their time rewatching that first season.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

For me, Borneo isn't at the top. I guess I don't really have a good reason other than the lame excuse of it being "boring" compared to others.

And the two big reasons I don't like Fiji, by the way in case anybody was wondering, was because of the unfair Haves vs Have Nots twist pre-merge and Dreamz' betrayal of fav Yau-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK;4187018;
    For me, Borneo isn't at the top. I guess I don't really have a good reason other than the lame excuse of it being "boring" compared to others.

And the two big reasons I don't like Fiji, by the way in case anybody was wondering, was because of the unfair Haves vs Have Nots twist pre-merge and Dreamz' betrayal of fav Yau-Man.
    I don't agree, didn't think Borneo was boring. But I most certainly agree that the Have/Have Not twist was the most ridiculously unfair "twist" I've ever seen.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

My Least Favorite season was the one (can't even remember the number) where the tribes were switched not only once or twice, but three times! That is the one and only season I stopped watching and didn't go back to. I thought that was so unfair...just when they'd start working up relationships in a tribe, they'd get switched, and everything would fall apart, aaaaaand repeat. It just seemed to me as if there were one or some who were supposed to be doing better than they were socially, so it just kept getting mixed until it worked.

Sorry, I can't even remember who the people were. It was 2-3 years ago, I think. But Survivor seasons blurr with time for me.

Gabon, I believe. <3

It was alright imo. Liked the winner.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I'm impressed that anyone can remember these shows by the countries. So many have jungle-y rain forest settings that they all blur together for me. The stand outs are ones like Africa that were actually dry.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast