+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Rob Mariano - Redemption Island

Re: Rob Mariano - Redemption Island

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat View Post
    I wouldn't attribute it to everybody else being morons. And I suspect if Rob had picked the purple buff and ended up on Zapatera instead, that he would have already ingratiated himself into that tribe and would not have been voted off, while Russell would have been the first to go at Ometepe. Rob stays because he knows how to play the game. Russell is a one trick pony, and everyone knows the trick by now.
    Well, I'm not going to count this season fully yet since it's barely just begun, but from what I hear, it sounds as though those not in awe of Mariano are getting voted off by him and those who are in awe of him. He didn't make the merge in Marquesas because some people there were thinking by themselves, same with Heroes vs Villains (in which I attribute his getting voted out more on Jerri and Coach than on Hantz). In All-Stars, though, the one reason he got to the end was because almost everyone (except Shii-Ann and pre-merge Jerri) pretty much had a brain meltdown and just laid down for him and Amber as stepping stones.

So, based on everything I've seen, I would count Mariano being as overrated as Hantz.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    from what I hear, it sounds as though those not in awe of Mariano are getting voted off by him and those who are in awe of him.
    It's worse than that... he orchestrated the exit of one guy who was in awe of him and was totally loyal. His reason ...paranoia...

I think if Jeff ever does leave, the whole show will stop. However, if not I think Rob would be an excellent choice to step into those shoes. He's fearless, loves to poke at people, and can spot bs a mile away.

I think Colby does an excellent job on Top Shot. Yes, I giggle sometimes when he goes Jeff P while hosting, but he fits that role.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

I loved Rob last season, but this season... not so much. He's coming off as overly-pompous, and I usually don't like castaways like that (see: Russell).
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard View Post
    I loved Rob last season, but this season... not so much. He's coming off as overly-pompous, and I usually don't like castaways like that (see: Russell).
    Rob is threatened by anyone who shows any sign of being a "free thinkuh"

Quote Originally Posted by scoot13 View Post
    Rob is threatened by anyone who shows any sign of being a "free thinkuh"
    yes, for sure but that's what makes Rob great at Survivor-type games. He instinctively knows how to play the game, even if it means who to eliminate. The only problem he has is that he's not perfect and messes up sometimes. One has to give him credit for his incredible skills at this game even if you don't like him much and even though I like him, I can certainly see how he could rub people the wrong way.

To the Point

Rob does get rid of those who he perceives as a threat, but he isn't nasty about it (like Russell). Does he make mistakes? Absolutely. Is he arrogant? He certainly comes across that way, however, I still find him charming.

I personally like Rob for two reasons:

1. He understands the game, and enjoys playing it - even though he wishes he's won it, and:

2. Win or lose, he understands it's a game and goes back to the real world saying basically "I played, I lost, life goes one." He also seems to respect game play by others a lot more, which is something I like.

That said - he needs to be very cognizant now about his tribe because when he sees that Russell is at Redemption Island and possibly ousted... that puts a target on his back. He's going to have to adapt his game to adjust if he wants to make it at least to jury (and I think he has a shot). What will make him succeed is doing it without backstabbing anymore and remembering his core values (better than Russell's).

As far as him - I like his gameplay and he's entertaining (moreso than Hatch in "Apprentice" ), but I hope this is his last game appearance. I can see him taking on Jeff's role if Jeff does retire from it, because he is entertaining and knows the game well enough to call them out on BS (within boundaries of Burnett though only because he'd need to remember he's the host, not the players).

That said, he may have to work a little bit more on his speaking in order to be understood a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    yes, for sure but that's what makes Rob great at Survivor-type games. He instinctively knows how to play the game, even if it means who to eliminate.
    I don't see it... he's good at puzzles, the rest is hot air. He's not very fast. He can't climb. He's not a good swimmer. He throws like a girl! (no offense!)

I think he has already made a fatal move by turning on Matt. I don't see how you survive making a stupid move like voting out someone so blindly loyal to you. Unless, of course, the ones that vote let you slide on it.

I just think he planted a little seed, unnecessarily, that is going to grow on him now. He has no loyalty to any alliance, he just wants one loyal to him. Surely at least one of them has the mental capacity to see that. You know Andrea does. She knows that she is a target now and that Rob is a liar.

We'll just have to see how it plays out, I hope he goes ASAP. He's made his millions, give someone else a chance...

Quote Originally Posted by scoot13 View Post
    He's made his millions, give someone else a chance...
    How so? Amber won a million before she ever married Rob, so it is HERS, in most states anyway. I know he's been paid to appear here and there, but not all that much by tv standards I'm sure.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread