+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Rob Mariano - Redemption Island

FORT Fogey

Re: Rob Mariano - Redemption Island

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat View Post
    If Rob was the famewh*re that some seem to think he is, why didn't he and Amber move to LA and start trolling for work like so many of the reality stars do? I don't think Pensacola, FL has a big entertainment industry, does it? After both of their first seasons on Survivor, Rob and Amber went back to their regular jobs, construction and office work respectively. It wasn't until their success on All-Stars, and the buzz around their engagement that hard to turn down offers started coming to them. Who wouldn't want to go on the Amazing Race (I hear lots of celebs even saying they'd love to do it), or have a free luxurious, 'sky's the limit' wedding in an exotic location that all your family and friends can also enjoy for free?

Rob is smart. He learned through his reality TV experiences that he is marketable because of his personality, quick wit and charisma, and he is taking advantage of it enough to provide a comfortable living for his wife and daughters (and one that also allows him to spend lots of time with them), without sacrificing too much of his privacy, or "losing himself" and jeopardizing his personal life by letting fame take over. I could see why lots of people would be envious of this.

And IC your other post about him wooing the tribe, ITA. That's how you win. He's said in recent interviews he learned from his previous times, to be 'nicer' while playing the game, and he proved it. Even the other tribe liked him and he got their votes except for Ralph, who can't even spell Phil (Phile..lol) and who needs subtitles to understand what the heck he's even saying. IMO, Ralph was the dumbest one on this show. Even Dave the lawyer wanted to be on Rob's team and did several of the other tribe members. They respected Rob's game play, even if they were totally enamored or not of him. So, no they were not stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina28 View Post

And IC your other post about him wooing the tribe, ITA. That's how you win. He's said in recent interviews he learned from his previous times, to be 'nicer' while playing the game, and he proved it. Even the other tribe liked him and he got their votes except for Ralph, who can't even spell Phil (Phile..lol) and who needs subtitles to understand what the heck he's even saying. IMO, Ralph was the dumbest one on this show. Even Dave the lawyer wanted to be on Rob's team and did several of the other tribe members. They respected Rob's game play, even if they were totally enamored or not of him. So, no they were not stupid.
    Thanks, and although I don't think that the Zaps were all stupid (Ralph though is questionable), if they were so much smarter/cleverer than the alleged nincompoops on Ometepe, why were none of them able to trick a single, sadly devoid of brain activity Ome into flipping, since manipulating the weak should have been so easy for a reasonably bright person? An entire season of weaker than usual competitors cast, with the exception of Rob and Russell? I think not.

Everything you said about how his tribe followed him is correct. However, did you ever take into account how Rob may have been interacting with each one of them from day 1 in order to get them all to go along with him so willingly? The odds of having an entire tribe where every one is the stupidest, mentally weakest and most naive player to have ever been selected in 22 seasons are quite low. Maybe they acted that way because Rob did a fantastic job of "wooing" each one into believing that their actions were really in their best interests. But I suppose people who loathe Rob are also loathe to give him any credit at all, and it must just be all luck and zero skill on his part.
    Well, okay, I will admit that this guy is the Survivor player I loathe the most in the history of this game. And yes, I am including people like Naonka, Corrine and Russell Hantz in here. Part of the reason is that the guy just won't go away, he's had so many chances being put into these games. I don't fault him for taking them, but still...

They're stuck together all in the same place 24/7, it's relatively easy to interact with them all. And the odds of having a tribe full of morons is low, but it has happened before. It happened in All-Stars, it happened in Samoa, it happened again here.

And I didn't say he has zero skill. He does have skills. He's good in physical challenges, puzzles, and can build stuff, plus he has pheromones to charm people with. I say the pheromone thing because it's the only explanation I can come up with in regards to why people find him charming and oh so delightful, because all I have ever seen from this guy is what a smarmy slimeball he is, starting in Marquesas, and that opinion has never changed for me. Whatever he has that charms people both in the island and through the tv screen never worked on me, but it works for him, and to his credit, he does have the foresight to capitalize on it. That's why I do agree that he's a far better player than Russell Hantz will ever be, because at least this guy can schmooze people into liking him.

To me, it's just the strategy thing. From everything I have ever seen of this guy, at least in my opinion, he's just really not as good strategically as people make him out to be. Basically, he was more lucky than anything, at least in my opinion. He's an okay player, I guess, but when you compare him to other winners like Sandra, Brian (ugh), Yul, Earl, Parvati, I don't think he stacks up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    To me, it's just the strategy thing. From everything I have ever seen of this guy, at least in my opinion, he's just really not as good strategically as people make him out to be. Basically, he was more lucky than anything, at least in my opinion. He's an okay player, I guess, but when you compare him to other winners like Sandra, Brian (ugh), Yul, Earl, Parvati, I don't think he stacks up.
    Perhaps, but you have to admit: he's had some amazingly intutitve moments. The two that pop into mind are:

a) Watch who people sleep next to/get comfortable with at night. Brilliant. When else do the players let their guard down the most?

b) The "Buddy System". I can't believe no one instituted something like this before. It made the Ometepe alliance virtually unpenetrable.

That said, I have to agree that luck was definitely on Rob's side this time. Not only did he get teamed up with a bunch of very compliant people, but they also didn't clue in to how much a threat he was like the Zaps did with Russell. I'm sure the Ometepes are now kicking themselves for not pulling a Zap on Rob.

On the flip side, Rob is a zillion times the game player than Russell, who, in my estimation, has the charisma of poison sumac.
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

Quote Originally Posted by CuckoosNest View Post
    Perhaps, but you have to admit: he's had some amazingly intutitve moments. The two that pop into mind are:

a) Watch who people sleep next to/get comfortable with at night. Brilliant. When else do the players let their guard down the most?

b) The "Buddy System". I can't believe no one instituted something like this before. It made the Ometepe alliance virtually unpenetrable.

That said, I have to agree that luck was definitely on Rob's side this time. Not only did he get teamed up with a bunch of very compliant people, but they also didn't clue in to how much a threat he was like the Zaps did with Russell. I'm sure the Ometepes are now kicking themselves for not pulling a Zap on Rob.

On the flip side, Rob is a zillion times the game player than Russell, who, in my estimation, has the charisma of poison sumac.
    It's hard, if not impossible, to win this game without both luck and skill, the differing measures of each just vary from season to season. I think Rob had quite a bit of both this time.

or have a free luxurious, 'sky's the limit' wedding in an exotic location that all your family and friends can also enjoy for free?
    Well to a point - they had to probably pay some taxes on the expenses as it's in a way a gift.

That said, I did admire his and Amber's wedding much more than - at the time the only other TV wedding - Trista and Ryan's wedding because they kept things simple. MUCH simpler for that.

I do hope that this is the last time we see Rob play on any reality game show, but if he wants to do other work, more power to him. He'd be one of three I know of who have some long term success - the other two being Australia's Colby and Elizabeth.

I've been waiting for someone else to comment on this, but maybe I'm the only one who noticed, or maybe the only one who thinks so, but.....
    At the end of the game I kept wondering who Rob reminded me of, between the weight loss, the facial hair & the scruffiness. Thanks to a few well placed commercials it came to me.

Put a set of dreadlocks, a bandana & some eye liner on him & who have you got???
    Captain Jack Sparrow!
    Unfortunately the Boston accent is all wrong.

Anyone else think so?
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I can see it, with the scraggly beard happening and the dark hair/eyes. But as much as I love BRob, he is no Johnny Depp!!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I can see it, with the scraggly beard happening and the dark hair/eyes. But as much as I love BRob, he is no Johnny Depp!!
    Not even close!!!
    "Everything you do matters. Every moment, every decision you make – it affects the people around you – it changes the world in a million imperceptible ways. No matter what your reality, you can make it better." -- Richard Castle

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    Oh, so Mariano won? Huh. Okay, I'll just let it all out then.

I honestly thought no winner could ever come close to Vecepia in terms of being absolutely pathetic, but Mariano is right up there with her. I'm sorry, but for the life of me, I cannot see why people regard him as such an amazing player. What did he do, honestly? Found a hidden immunity idol? Lots of other players have over many seasons. Was good in challenges? Many have been.

Real reason I believe he won? Shii Ann's classic quote is the best description for it. "Stupid people. Stupid, stupid players." Remembering back to Marquesas and Heroes vs Villains, I saw people actually playing the game and making an effort. Both cases, he gets voted out before the merge. The first All-Stars and this season, what do we get? Lemmings. Braindead lemmings. Seriously, what did he do this season? Other than finding an immunity idol and winning some challenges, whatever I saw or heard about went basically like this:

Mariano- "Guys, do this."
    Tribe- "Okay."
    Mariano- "Everybody, do that."
    Tribe- "Okay."
    Mariano- "I think this person should go. Let's vote this person out."
    Tribe- "Okay."
    Mariano- "Sweet, now I can sit pretty and make witty comments and everybody'll love me."

That's all I saw. It was All-Stars all over again. People just bending over backwards for this guy and doing nothing but whatever he orders, it was so pathetic. By the time anyone even thought of making or trying to make a move, it was far too little and way too late. Nobody ever even stopped to think about not having him in the finals, or how they could try to beat him in front of the final jury (already an impossibility because everyone was pathetically in love with him from day 1). I wonder if the casting people went by this season recruiting people with IQ of 30 or less. Nobody made an effort. This wasn't gameplay, it was middle school shenanigans. I hate seeing Survivor where not a smidge of strategy even comes into play. This wasn't Survivor, this was "Watch a bunch of retards hand a subpar player a million dollars just because they're in awe of a guy who has lost five times."

So, yes, overall? Mariano joins Vecepia in the rank of worst winner ever. And it took him four tries in this game. Out of a total of six changes CBS has given him for a million bucks, more than anyone else ever. That's pathetic (I seem to come back to this word a lot when talking about this guy), just sad and ridiculous. Hopefully now that he won, he can take his stank attitude and stupid smirk and disappear from my TV screen forever.
    I LOVE this post. I don't agree with all of it, but it was great to read anyhow and I won't go as far as to say he's a Vecipia, but he sure ain't the "played a perfect game" player Jeff made him out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea
    I agree that there is a pirate-y thing happening, but I was thinking more along the classic Errol Flynn (he played a pirate once right?) than Johnny Depp. NO one comes near Captain Jack!

+ Reply to Thread