+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Matt Elrod - Redemption Island

Re: Matt Elrod - Redemption Island

If Matt comes back in at the end, after doing nothing more than winning memory and build a tower of cards challenges, and after being VOTED OUT TWICE because as he said himself, he sucks at playing Survivor, that will be, IMO (obviously) the Worst. Winner. Ever.

Even Russell, who claimed to like the "kid" would have to be irritated with that kind of a win, master strategist that he claims to be. Seriously, any of the Survivor alumni, I would like to think, would consider this a win with an asterisk.

This is not me saying Matt is not a nice kid. He is. But I don't believe he deserves to win the game, even if he wins all the "duels" on RI. This is the "old school" Survivor fan talking, he doesn't deserve it if he does come back.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bencalebrod View Post
    The producers are certainly manipulating this season as much as they possibly can without arising suspicion. They originally wanted it to be a Rob vs. Russell showdown to the end, but that failed miserably when Russell was immediately targeted and eliminated. Now they are trying to make Rob look like the bad guy and Matt like the good guy to keep that theme alive. Ever since Russell lost the second duel, they wanted Matt to win every single one so he could get back in the game. Then when he got eliminated again, they wanted to make the RI twist worthwhile so they decided to have these 3 and 4 player duels to increase Matt's chances of staying alive. They will then make the final duel something that Matt could easily win so that he'll make it to the final 4. He will then win the final immunity challenge, take down Rob, and then win the game against Ashley, Natalie, and/or Phillip. THE PRODUCERS WANT MATT TO WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I see it as the exact opposite! Everytime Matt has PI they play over the top religious music in the background. They love to show him in his most dramatic moments, which aren't appealling to anyone.
    On the other hand, Jeff practically drools over Rob, and supports him at tribal with inane comparisons to how loyal Rob was in the game to Amber. Unless Rob is planning polygomy, his tribemates can't think of themselves anything like.

Rob chose to fill the jury with Zaps, and he hasn't hid his glee at tribal either. If somehow Matt makes it to the final three, he will win hands down on the social aspect of the game. Like it or not, the R.I. twist is real, and it's up to the Survivors to adjust. Rob has been playing his tribe like a fiddle, he's a brilliant strategist, but sending Matt back to R.I. to have the opportunity to befriend everyone Rob voted out may be his downfall. And yes, if it happens, Rob should have thought of it.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    I see it as the exact opposite! Everytime Matt has PI they play over the top religious music in the background. They love to show him in his most dramatic moments, which aren't appealling to anyone.
    On the other hand, Jeff practically drools over Rob, and supports him at tribal with inane comparisons to how loyal Rob was in the game to Amber. Unless Rob is planning polygomy, his tribemates can't think of themselves anything like.

Rob chose to fill the jury with Zaps, and he hasn't hid his glee at tribal either. If somehow Matt makes it to the final three, he will win hands down on the social aspect of the game. Like it or not, the R.I. twist is real, and it's up to the Survivors to adjust. Rob has been playing his tribe like a fiddle, he's a brilliant strategist, but sending Matt back to R.I. to have the opportunity to befriend everyone Rob voted out may be his downfall. And yes, if it happens, Rob should have thought of it.
    Since this is RI's first season, and as far as I know, none of the participants (as well as the audience) were given the rules in advance of how it was going to be used, it's kind of difficult to know the best way to play it. In essence (and I doubt the producers anticipated this either), it has set up two parallel games at once, the traditional Survivor, where players beat each other up and piss everyone who passes through the game off, and a convivial challenge competition. Then it appears that the winner of each game will face off against each other in a popularity contest. Guess who wins??

If RI is around next season (or whichever the first season is where everyone playing has seen it in action)and is not greatly tweaked, I'm guessing you will see players strategizing far differently with regard to who they send to it, with some of them possibly even volunteering to go.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Those are good points, ironcat. I do think Jeff told the players that the person going to RI would have a chance to enter back in the game, but you're right, after Matt's first return, one couldn't know immediately that those on RI would be spending more time together due to three people competing instead of two. I think he should have considered dumping Grant earlier to take on Matt... especially with Grant becoming his biggest threat to take this game away from him

All of that said, I think Rob is getting a great edit, and Matt? Not as much.

Those are good points, ironcat. I do think Jeff told the players that the person going to RI would have a chance to enter back in the game, but you're right, after Matt's first return, one couldn't know immediately that those on RI would be spending more time together due to three people competing instead of two. I think he should have considered dumping Grant earlier to take on Matt... especially with Grant becoming his biggest threat to take this game away from him

I agree with you regarding the edits. The edit for Matt has made him one-dimensional. All they have chosen to show us is the religious side of Matt, which no doubt is a huge part of who he is. But, it has also caused a lot of people to be turned off of Matt because of it.

I think that the edit so far has setup the possible scenario for Matt to return and take out Rob. However, I think that is WHAT the producers want us to believe - to keep us tuned in each week. But, what is the likelihood of that really happening? A lot would have to go right for Matt to be able to win the final "duel" on RI. I am afraid that his luck is going to run out before that happens. I expect to see Grant voted off the Ometepe tribe before the Final 3 because he is big threat, and he could very possibly be the one to re-enter the game from RI.

FORT Fogey

I agree. Matt is not getting a winners edit. He is getting kook, big time.

I think Rob was correct in booting Matt though. He saw the potential for waffling and Grant was solid and rational. You want someone rational on your side, ability or no. We didn't see all that Rob saw with Matt and I am sure his god speak was part of the package that skewed Matt from being a contender in his alliance.

FORT Fanatic

Dear Survivor producers,

Please dont bring back Matt. He belongs in a cult not a TV show about survival of the fittest. He is dull, dull, dull.

Thanks,
    A Fan

Quote Originally Posted by imissme View Post
    Dear Survivor producers,

Please dont bring back Matt. He belongs in a cult not a TV show about survival of the fittest. He is dull, dull, dull.

Thanks,
    A Fan
    There's an interview with EW where Matt says he wasn't there to play the game, but to "glorify God" and "get [His] name out there". Okey dokey. He also thinks if he played again, he could play the way Rob played, but he's not sure. RIIIIIGHT.

Go to med school, Matt.

I think Matt would be in for a real eye opener if he came back and actually had to participate in the "outwit" part of the game. I'd like to see him try to play it completely honourably, as I truly don't think it can be done 100%.

If Matt's primary reason for being on Survivor is to glorify God and spread the message, then mission accomplished. He should be proud of what he did, go to med school, and become a good doctor and move on with his life. I don't think he needs to try to prove anything else on this show.

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat View Post
    There's an interview with EW where Matt says he wasn't there to play the game, but to "glorify God" and "get [His] name out there".
    I just don't get it. It's okay to go on a national TV show to promote a personal agenda, but it ISN'T ok to promote yourself personally (i.e. be ruthless in the game) on the show? Man, that God is one selfish mother.

That Matt couldn't get through a sentence without using the word "God" became really, REALLY irritating by the last episode of this past season. I'm glad the kid finds strength in his faith... but I really don't tune in to a show like "Survivor" to hear about such things week after freakin' week. This is TV... not church.

Look, I'm an openly gay, married (yes, married... we can do that crap here in CT) man. But if I was on the show I certainly wouldn't be promoting gay marriage every episode. Sure, it would be tempting to "get the message out there", but it wouldn't be the appropriate forum to do so. And that's what's sometimes really annoying about the ultra-religious: they don't understand that some people just don't want to hear it. Or worse, they do, and proceed to pontificate anyway. Yecch.
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

+ Reply to Thread