+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Matt Elrod - Redemption Island

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Matt Elrod - Redemption Island

Yeah, I come from a kind of "God helps those who help themselves" kind of background, so I find his passivity annoying....

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

There is a lot of talk about Matt's religious beliefs and how vocal he is about them. In the past, when I have seen reality contestant's faith displayed this much, they were doing it to make fools of the people. And that still may be coming. But, I have noticed how the people who are spending time on RI with Matt are affected by him and I feel like he must be "walking the walk" ,so to speak, because of the positive impact he seems to make on them. The first obvious one was the girl who left him her bible (can't remember her name), then last night the stuff that Julie said about how she has been so strongly affected by his faith that she can't wait to get home to find a church and start going. Also, you can see the concern and friendship from Mike.

Although young and naive, I think that Matt is a good-hearted person who is just being himself on tv. I really hope that he hangs in there and comes back into the game.

I agree, I think Matt and his faith are very genuine. I also think he's very young and quite naive. I feel though that the religious part of it is kind of being hammered at the audience by the producers, and I'm trying to figure out why. There have been very religious people on the show before, but we've never had it be almost a part of the storyline before. It's interesting, and it makes me wonder why this time? Is it just that it is such a huge part of who he is?

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I agree, it is interesting how much they are making his faith a part of the show. Jeff Probst even continually asks him about "his God". My opinion is that Matt's faith is so much a part of him that the producers can't seperate it out of his personality. Of course, they are using it to their advantage to set-up a "good vs. evil" storyline this season with Matt and Rob. It was a good idea on the producer's part.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

There have been "good Christian" allliances before (involving some very "unChristian" people as I recall), so it's not unique that they've used this as an identifying variable.
    I think Matt has a good chance if he makes the F3 or F2 because of the % of voters from the other team on the jury and others he will have bonded with during their RI stay. And if accused of having no social game he can say it wasn't my choice---I played my social game on RI, the only chance I had.
    Last edited by PWS; 04-29-2011 at 10:59 PM.

'Survivor' tests Lipscomb senior's Christian principles | The Tennessean | tennessean.com

Fairly interesting article about Matt and his values vs. the game of Survivor. Definitely slanted in the good (Matt) vs. evil (Game, Rob) sense.

I did like this quote, though

“It’s easier to watch the show when you understand it’s just a game,” saidSam Smith, associate dean of campus life at Lipscomb. “He’s playing a game where he’s being challenged to live his faith.”

Then again, Smith noted, not even Jesus would expect his faithful to spill their guts to Boston Rob.

“If he were playing a game of hide and seek, it wouldn’t be wrong not to stand up and announce where you were hiding,” Smith said.

Interesting too that Matt didn't apply to the show but was approached to go on it by his agent. I wonder, does he do modelling while in school? I didn't know he had an agent, but I can totally see him modelling.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    'Survivor' tests Lipscomb senior's Christian principles | The Tennessean | tennessean.com

Fairly interesting article about Matt and his values vs. the game of Survivor. Definitely slanted in the good (Matt) vs. evil (Game, Rob) sense.

I did like this quote, though

Interesting too that Matt didn't apply to the show but was approached to go on it by his agent. I wonder, does he do modelling while in school? I didn't know he had an agent, but I can totally see him modelling.
    Even more interesting that the agent said Survivor was looking for "someone like him". I wonder if they were looking for a Fabio lookalike, or a good looking Christian....

Add to that the fact that we have 3 or 4 Christians who are prominent this season. I wonder if they were going for the good vs. evil idea with these people pitted against Rob and Russell?? Makes you wonder.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Even more interesting that the agent said Survivor was looking for "someone like him". I wonder if they were looking for a Fabio lookalike, or a good looking Christian....
    Siince his religion is his defining characteristic, I am putting my money on handsome religious zealot.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Add to that the fact that we have 3 or 4 Christians who are prominent this season. I wonder if they were going for the good vs. evil idea with these people pitted against Rob and Russell?? Makes you wonder.
    The producers are certainly manipulating this season as much as they possibly can without arising suspicion. They originally wanted it to be a Rob vs. Russell showdown to the end, but that failed miserably when Russell was immediately targeted and eliminated. Now they are trying to make Rob look like the bad guy and Matt like the good guy to keep that theme alive. Ever since Russell lost the second duel, they wanted Matt to win every single one so he could get back in the game. Then when he got eliminated again, they wanted to make the RI twist worthwhile so they decided to have these 3 and 4 player duels to increase Matt's chances of staying alive. They will then make the final duel something that Matt could easily win so that he'll make it to the final 4. He will then win the final immunity challenge, take down Rob, and then win the game against Ashley, Natalie, and/or Phillip. THE PRODUCERS WANT MATT TO WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread