+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 12/1 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

To the Point

Re: 12/1 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

I kind of figured that the reason Jeff gave them a day to think about it was for production to make some decisions in how to handle their quitting. They've never had two players just quit on the same day. I'm sure production had to figure out what Jeff needed to tell them when they quit. I just cannot find one good thing about them being allowed to still sit on Jury! Sorry, but that's just wrong.

This episode was so condescending and disgusting. Not everybody has it in themselves, willpower or drive, and things you think are important for you are not as important for others. It was just a show of egos and "we're better than you" for having more drive. Ever spend a lot of effort on something and then realized the reward wasn't worth the time or actually attainable? They are cutting their losses. And all these people are quite deluded... you ain't all gonna get that million dollars, stop with the artificial confidence. They were gonna go soon anyways, they just took the chance away from the remaining players to seal the deal for them. They used the term quitters like some ugly mark, a stain. Yeah, it will look SOOOOOOOOO bad to quit a reality show, like nobody has ever done that before. A year or down down the road and everybody will have forget all of them anyways, quitting or not.

And I love Naonka's reasoning for taking the reward still. You know it is the smartest thing to do, but not smart at all in public opinion. She helped her team win that challenge! Even if she is gonna quit, why should she give up her reward that she put the effort into? Everybody else who enjoyed that reward has HER to thank. She could have just laid down and given yellow the win.

I was thinking the same thing as everybody else here too: If anything, it should be DAN giving the reward up. He didn't even do a thing, he just sat on the sidelines and got lucky! He is the ultimate floater, a true nobody. Why isn't he gone yet?

The remaining players are all hypocrites too. They all want them to quit yet lament on it like it's a sin. That'd be like being angry that you WON the lottery. It makes no sense. It's also funny how they talk about not being able to have a free rides, yet they all planned on using Naonka as a freebie for the finals. Dan still exists, but now they need to make real decisions and bring along somebody else who may actually take a win from them. Boo hoo.

The fact that the torches are still gonna be lit to remind them that they quit is the final straw and just shows how self importance Survivor really thinks it is. This whole episode left a very bad taste in my mouth. Elitism.
    Last edited by Endit; 12-02-2010 at 08:29 AM.

I agree about the jury thing. You still have an odd number of votes, just dismiss them and be done with it.

I may be in the minority, but I don't feel anything for the players that left before them. They lost fair and square. They got voted out-period. Those two quitting now had nothing to do with how their games turned out.

Naonka was painful to listen to and purple Kelly was even more boring than Dan, so they won't be missed.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

FORT Fogey

I agree Dan is coming across as useless, however look at it from his perspective. He is an older man with a bad knee who does not have strength and endurance on his side. He is in a school yard pick, not picked, and what is he supposed to do jump up and say I am in the final seven, but I feel I did not work hard enough to get here so give me some more hard work? He was not chosen it is not like he said I cannot do this, and Jeff said ok pick a team and sit on the sidelines, but still get to go to reward if your picked team wins. It is not his fault that with his shortcomings he is still there. Jane lets her anger get the best of her, Marty let his arrogance get the best of him, Brenda let her smugness get the best of her. Dan may not be strong, but he is proceeding in the game. I fault him nothing for getting a reward that was given by the rules. I do not fault Naonka for taking the reward, I just know I would not have if I was going to quit. I pride myself on thinking of others, and not just myself. If that is not her bag, than fine, but she will get no good words from me than.

don't have time to read all the posts, as I have to leave for work in a minute, but I wish Jeff would have just tossed Kelly & NaOinka's torches into the fire pit. I think that's what he did with Osten's torch, the first person to ever quit Survivor. I also don't think Kelly & NaOinka should have gotten to have any final words at the end. I don't care what either of them have to say. They are both weak-willed quitters. They also shouldn't get to be on the jury. The jury is supposed to be made of your peers, & to me, they aren't peers since they quit. How can they judge anyone else?

I really detest NaOinka, even moreso after she refused to give up the reward. Selfish doesn't even begin to describe her. I can't think of one redeeming quality that this woman has. Can anyone help me out on that? Bueller? Bueller?
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Endit;4118476;
    This episode was so condescending and disgusting. Not everybody has it in themselves, willpower or drive, and things you think are important for you are not as important for others. It was just a show of egos and "we're better than you" for having more drive. Ever spend a lot of effort on something and then realized the reward wasn't worth the time or actually attainable? They are cutting their losses. And all these people are quite deluded... you ain't all gonna get that million dollars, stop with the artificial confidence. They were gonna go soon anyways, they just took the chance away from the remaining players to seal the deal for them. They used the term quitters like some ugly mark, a stain. Yeah, it will look SOOOOOOOOO bad to quit a reality show, like nobody has ever done that before. A year or down down the road and everybody will have forget all of them anyways, quitting or not.

And I love Naonka's reasoning for taking the reward still. You know it is the smartest thing to do, but not smart at all in public opinion. She helped her team win that challenge! Even if she is gonna quit, why should she give up her reward that she put the effort into? Everybody else who enjoyed that reward has HER to thank. She could have just laid down and given yellow the win.

I was thinking the same thing as everybody else here too: If anything, it should be DAN giving the reward up. He didn't even do a thing, he just sat on the sidelines and got lucky! He is the ultimate floater, a true nobody. Why isn't he gone yet?

The remaining players are all hypocrites too. They all want them to quit yet lament on it like it's a sin. That'd be like being angry that you WON the lottery. It makes no sense. It's also funny how they talk about not being able to have a free rides, yet they all planned on using Naonka as a freebie for the finals. Dan still exists, but now they need to make real decisions and bring along somebody else who may actually take a win from them. Boo hoo.

The fact that the torches are still gonna be lit to remind them that they quit is the final straw and just shows how self importance Survivor really thinks it is. This whole episode left a very bad taste in my mouth. Elitism.
    I finally go to watch the episode this morning. I read all the comments and while I agree with most of them, this one really bothers me.

How is this elitist? These two contestants didnt think they were going on a holiday did they? NO. They knew they were going on Survivor. The fact that the show called them quitters and made them look like the losers that they are is what should have been done.

NaOnka calling herself a proud black woman was laughable. She is a self-enitled spoiled child who didnt like roughing it so she picked up her toys and went home. If I am going to point out what a great member of my race I am then I would think I would have something difficult that I did to back up my remarks. She had nothing. Quitting with eleven days left is nothing to be proud of, or maybe she was talking about stealing the food, is this what makes her proud? This woman repulses me is every way.

Purple Kelly...oh where to start. I really think she is so weak willed that when she heard that NaOnka was quitting she thought to herself, "yeah that seems like a good idea". There appears to be no more thought than that in her decision. What brings someone like this to apply for a show such as Survivor is beyond me. She is so much more the type to apply for Big Brother. Where the surroundings are controlled and she could just sit there and chatter about nothing.

Personally, I think the show went easy on these two. Sorry, but they should not be on the jury. And if they are ever on any kind of a future Survivor, I wont watch. Leaving their torches there was way too nice. I would have made them spend their next eleven days lugging the damn things around everywhere they went, including the bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant;4118421;
    Jeff sure hates quitters, huh? I don't think any host gets so pissed at anyone quitting, but then again, Jeff thinks he owns the stupid game, so whatever. Now that I think about it, the only people I'd say had true legitimate reasons for quitting that should not be held against them were Jenna, because of her mom's condition, and Janu, who was literally wasting away and I'm surprised she managed to hold on for so long.
    To be fair here - he understands what these players go through as even though they have better quarters, he still has to deal with the hot, humid and rainy conditions as well. He also understands that there are millions who would give their eyeteeth essentially to be on this show. Frankly, if I were watching the show and saw two people quit that far in the game, knowing there were so many players ousted to let them get that far and they just pull up and bail (let alone in NaOnka's case take away a reward for Holly - even if I admire her sacrifice, NaOnka was selfish because she knew she was leaving), I'd be pissed too.

And, he only hates quitters who are physically capable to do this show but just quit because they can't handle a little element issues. I've never seen him made at Jenna, Sue (Because while she did let herself get rubbed by Rich nude, that is something that can affect you mentally after the fact and you could feel violated), or even Janu because I think in the end it changed the course of the game play and made for an interesting story. (That said, we do have Heidi who really wasted away her season, but made it nearly to the end).

This show isn't elitist in the slightest. These women signed up for a reality tv show that they have watched before. They knew the drill going in, and unless they were complete idiots, they knew they were in for a tough time. It's not like this was the first season, how many seasons have we watched people waste away, deal with the elements, be cold and tired and hungry and beat down? Give me a break. They quit with only just over a week left, with a new tarp and extra rice, and with a good chance of earning extra money the further they went. How many people injured themselves, some seriously, but still fought to stay in the game? Remember the other Russell, who passed out and almost DIED but didn't want to quit?? These girls didn't have the guts to stick it out, and while at least purple Kelly recognized that the jury would give their eye teeth to trade places with her, Naonka went out just as delusional as she came in, proud to have stuffed her face instead of giving a little bit of comfort to the other people back at camp, even though she had made up her mind that she would be sleeping at Ponderosa that very night and enjoying a good meal there. She was proud to have been a loud-mouthed, vicious, mean-spirited and selfish person, and frankly her arrogance and self-satisfaction made me wish Jeff had smacked her on the head with her torch. I cannot believe I'm saying this, but I would take Russell back in a heartbeat over someone like Naonka. The pathetic thing is, even if she gets raked over the coals and booed at the reunion, she still won't back down from her don't-give-a-crap-what-anyone-thinks attitude. I dislike her intensely.

Dan should have tried to get Jeff to let him take Holly's place. I think Jeff would have gone for it. He's selfish and useless and I cannot believe he has made it this far in the game.

Loved it when Jeff said "you want to go? Go." to Nayonka. It was what everyone in our house was yelling at the tv. I wonder what the reception will be at Ponderosa. Dislike for these two quitters might actually make Alina hang out with Marty and Brenda!
    Congratulations Mickey and Pete!

Worst season of Survivor ever.

What I would have loved to see is Russell Hantz's reaction to NaOinka giving her Hidden Immunity Idol away and then watching NaOinka and Purple Kelly quit the game. That man would kill to get back into the game and these people just threw it away.

These people are no longer Dumb And Dumber they are the Dumbest.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Endit;4118476;
    Quitting for a good reason is one thing, quitting and knowing the people are happy about it is another. If they weren't able to handle this, then why wait so long - or think about it - why say that you WOULD WIN the game and then still quit?

Oh, no one forgetting? - Quitters I have seen on this show (Note, I have missed a few seasons due to work and other issues in real life):

1. Osten - Pearl Islands - first quitter, made lame excuse and was flippant post show. Haven't seen him appear in this show.

2. Jenna from "Amazon" - 1st All Stars - quit because she felt her mom's time was nearly up on earth and needed to be there. Her mom wanted her to appear in the AS edition, but was glad that Jenna got to see her mom one more time. Now she's helping Ethan Zohn from Africa with his cancer and they are both activists in this area as well as help in Africa.

3. Sue Hawk - 1st All Stars - quit because she felt violated after Rich rubbed up against her nude. This one was weird, and I didn't know why she quit unless she was upset the game didn't get him into trouble for unwarranted sexual contact (even if she laughed about it).

4. Johnny Fairplay - AS/F vs. F - quit because he wanted to be with his family. While he did get voted out, he essentially said "I quit" by saying to vote him out.

5. Janu - forgot the season - quit because she really was physically and emotionally exhausted. She also knew that her quitting would throw a spanner in the works because people wanted to keep her in to get out stronger players. She had enough of it on top of the health issues so she walked.

6. Kathy - F vs. F - seriously mental issues, as in needing psych evaluation because she nearly withdrew into herself too much. Not fond of it because like with NaOnka and Kelly, she knew what she was getting herself into and I think CBS screwed up with her casting.

7&8 - NaOnka and Purple Kelly.

So yeah - you quit this show, you'll be remembered as a quitter.

Yes, but think about it - I think people would be respecting her more for giving up the reward - knowing she'd be quitting anyway, than just being essentially a glutton here and then bailing. She could've gotten the fan prize showing a great show of altruism.

As you said, frankly, if anyone should've given it up it was Dan as he didn't play at all, but yes, I can see why NaOnka's not giving it up seemed selfish.

Because most people will take him to the end now to win, but he can easily become a Vee and win this season doing practically nothing.

Again, yes they want them to quit, but would rather vote them out instead because it is a sign of respect for those who were already voted out. Plus, Holly said too that she thought of quitting, but didn't and she could possibly win this game. It'd be funny if she did because it'd show how you can overcome that mental block and play.

The torches are actually going to stay there, but not lit as a reminder. I was surprised however, they weren't laid down on the ground like Osten.

+ Reply to Thread